PDA

View Full Version : summer reading clubs! free books!

Rebe
06-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I just downloaded the forms for B&N and Borders' summer reading clubs, where kids up to 6th grade can earn free books. :clap: We really enjoy these every year, and have gotten some great books to add to our library. The free book lists look good this year, too.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_double-dog-dare

and

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/summerreading/index.asp

Happy reading!

BethInOK
06-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Also, if you have a Half Priced Books in your area, they are giving a $5 dollar credit for reading 600 minutes this summer.

http://www.hpb.com/community/fyb/started/

heidipeacock
06-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Woohoo! We have all 3 stores in our area plus our library does a similar thing. With the temps getting hotter our already generous reading time will be getting an added boost. I wish they had more preschool age books to choose from, though.

Rebe
06-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Heidi, I think the Borders and B&N programs are just for K-6. :unsure:

Melanie
06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
This is our first year doing a summer reading club and I have a question. Can you use the same books for multiple clubs? (not sure if I am making sense)

For instance, if we do the Borders club and our local library's club, ds will have to read 10 books for Borders and then so many minutes for our library. If ds reads 10 books this summer, could we also count the time that he spent reading toward the library's summer reading club too?

Just want to make sure I am being fair. Thanks!

Lis in MA
06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, Rebe!

I have a page (http://acornsnuggetsofgold.blogspot.com/p/summer-time-freebies.html) on my blog that links to a scholastic reading program (new to me) as well as some other fun summer freebies. (like bowling and movies)

There are a few links that are Massachusetts and/or New England "local", but many are national.

I know the Homeschool Buyers co-op is rolling out their summer reading program as well.

(Oh, and the scholastic and HBC programs are for K-12, I think!)

Blessings~
Lis

Kat in Co
06-01-2011, 10:57 AM
My public library has a free reading program as well, so I have the option of signing dd up for as many as three summer reading programs. She enjoys reading!:clap: If you were going to sign your dc up for more than one program, you would have her read different books for each reading program, right? Meaning not allowing her to count the same book in different lists.

Michelle Pfeifer
06-01-2011, 11:27 AM
If you were going to sign your dc up for more than one program, you would have her read different books for each reading program, right? Meaning not allowing her to count the same book in different lists.

Why? I let my kids count books toward different lists unless someone has a rule that prohibits it. For example, our library insists that books must be checked out from the library to count, so books from our private collection don't go on the library list.

In fact some of our library's prizes are Reader Certificates to Texas Roadhouse and one other restaurant. Both certificates ask for a list of books that have been read. The librarian actually told us to list the books from the summer reading log.

Just my .02.

Michelle

Rebe
06-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I definitely let my dc count books toward multiple lists. Here's my reasoning:

I have three that read for fun, because they enjoy it. They would find it very tedious to log every single thing they read this summer, just to get enough books/minutes for all the lists. I would find it very tedious keeping track of my 4yo's reading this way, too.

I have one that I have to force to read. ;) He would find it impossible to read enough to accumulate the books/minutes he needs for all the lists. He probably feels "different" enough not reading as much as his siblings, so I don't need to draw attention to it even more.

So ... yes, I let them count books on all lists. :) I don't think that's unethical or cheating. JMO!

Angela Paige
06-01-2011, 12:35 PM
cool! Thanks for sharing, Rebe! We already do our library summer reading program, but it looks like this could overlap with that as well as provide my kids with more reading material. :clap:

Paige