PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Questions

Katie
06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I admit I do not know much about cell phones (even though I have one) :blush:

1) Can you get a cell phone that does not have Internet capability?
2) Can you get a cell phone that does not have texting capability?
3) What type of cell phone do your teens have?

Susan Seaman
06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Most cell phones now have texting capability, but you can turn it off. We don't have the capability of sending or receiving texts on any of our phones.

If you don't pay for internet service, you won't have it. We don't have that either.

The only thing our phone is good for is making telephone calls (and checking the time). Well, it makes photos, but I never use it for that. I can't send them to anyone since we don't pay for internet access on our phones.

If you remove the bells and whistles, maybe your teen won't even want a phone.

None of our three teens has a phone. My oldest often takes my phone with her when she is driving, and my middle son often takes my phone with him when he goes on a long bike ride. We're thinking of getting my daughter a phone when she goes to college this fall - something cheap with unlimited calls home is probably all she needs.

I know lots of people say your teens have to have a phone. I've not really found that to be the case. If they need to call me and tell me that soccer practice is letting out early, for instance, I guarantee one of the other players or coach has a phone they can borrow.

I would hold off as long as possible.

Anjie in PA
06-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I think almost all phones today have those capabilities, but you have to pay for those services to actually use them. I'm on my mom's family plan, and they don't pay for internet, so none of us can use that on our phones. It would be cool to have, but it really isn't necessary, nor am I willing to shell out for it. DH has his own phone plan, and he doesn't pay for texting, and has asked for it to be blocked. My teen does not have a phone; it's so unnecessary for her. We have said that, probably, once she gets her driver's license we will get her a phone.

Robin in Colorado
06-01-2011, 01:21 PM
We have a 'kid' phone that's on our family plan. The dc use it for times like when I have to drop them at dance instead of staying; if I'm running late to pick them up, I can call. Etc. They do not have full access to the phone.

It does have internet access and texting, but it's 'pay as you go' for those things. And after Big Girl spent a little time texting with her cousin (Big Girl had broken her foot the day before and was bored on the couch) and DH presented her with the bill, texting has never happened again. :lol:

DD in IL
06-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I have text blocked so I don't receive and can't send (I had received some nasty ones---wrong number type thing) but I didn't want to pay for someone to be able to do that. I don't have internet. I want my phone for just one reason---to make and receive phone calls.