PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Heard of This Medical Mystery?

Paige P
06-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Btw, I'm not looking for medical advice, just if you've ever heard of this and what was done about it :) I have a good friend whos husband had flu-like symptoms Dec/Jan/Feb time-frame. A week later, they finally determined it was strep throat. Ever since, he's had all kinds of crazy symptoms (btw, she gave me permission to ask ya'll about it to see if anyone has any experience):

* "cold spots" throughout his body, but different spots at different times. Often it'll be his joints (knees, elbows, shoulder), but sometimes it's his face
* massive dizzy spells (and he travels for work, so often my friend is loading up her kids and driving him wherever he needs to go to work b/c she's afraid he's going to have a dizzy spell while driving)
* an overall sense of weakness
* etc -- I don't remember all the other symptoms, but these are the worst

He's had ALL KINDS of tests run -- blood work, MRIs, neurological stuff, etc. And no one can find anything wrong. He says he knows it's not mental, but apparently no one can find any cause of the problems.

Any help? Any ideas?

Angela Paige
06-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Has she tried googling the symptoms, Paige?

When Jon was so sick and none of the doctors could diagnosis his problem, I googled his symptoms. The more I googled together, the fewer medical problems would show as possible results. I researched those and began to feel that Jon had endocarditis. He had all of the symptoms and some major risk factors for it. Because of my concern, Jon decided to get a second opinion, and was in fact diagnosed with endocarditis. It had been missed by 4 doctors! :eek:

Hope he is able to find relief and healing soon!
Paige

shonda in ca
06-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Research Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

Susan Seaman
06-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't know about those other symptoms, but I once took a child with severe abdominal pain to the ER. He was positive for strep. He didn't have a sore throat or any upper respiratory symptoms. They said stomach pain sometimes happen with strep, but in his case it could very well have been unrelated.

It was good to find out, though, because his cousins got strep that summer after being at our house. Turns out he was probably carrying it without symptoms during that time.

maggiKS
06-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Has he seen a rheumatologist? A rheumatoid panel (blood test) may show if there is an underlying autoimmune or imflammatory condition. Just a thought.

Lindsey Carter
06-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Have they looked into rheumatic fever? :unsure: Weakness and dizziness can be caused by heart trouble. :unsure:

DD in IL
06-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Strep isn't confined to just the throat.

Robin in Colorado
06-11-2011, 12:40 AM
My dh was just diagnosed with strep. Before the diagnosis, before the throat was sore, he was 'fighting something' for over a week. He had overall muscle weakness, and said to me "I feel like I did that last time."

"That last time" was 6 years ago. He came down with low-grade fever and unexplained muscle weakness that lasted for almost 6 weeks. For the most part of that he was so weak he literally couldn't hold a pencil. Looking back, I don't know why we didn't have him in the hospital. He wasn't 'sick' though, just weak. No other symptoms. Oh, and he slept a lot.

It gradually disappeared, over about 2 or 3 months. I wonder now if it was strep.

Paige P
06-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Has he seen a rheumatologist? A rheumatoid panel (blood test) may show if there is an underlying autoimmune or imflammatory condition. Just a thought.

:yes: I know he's been to an RA dr. and has had a series of tests there. Nothing.

Thanks for the other replies. I'll pass them along. I think one of the strangest symptoms is the "cold" spots that move around his body :crazy: