PDA

View Full Version : piano tuning

Rachel
06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
How much does piano tuning usually cost?

AmyinWI
06-14-2011, 01:10 PM
last time we had it done it was $80, but that was for a very old, in bad shape piano. I don't know if the price differs or not.

Elizabeth in KY
06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
It does depend on the condition of the piano. Our is old, too, and hadn't been tuned in a LONG time. The piano tech had to come twice, so I think that it was around $110. I think $70 - 80 is closer to standard.

Gitel in nj
06-14-2011, 01:38 PM
We pay $125...I try to stretch it to every 8 months instead of every 6. Our piano is very old and prior to our getting it had not been tuned in over a decade. (It is the same piano my 57 year old husband got lessons on when he was a boy-and it was old then). I called several places and this is about the going rate around here...

Colleen OH
06-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Our last tuning cost us one large round bale of hay. :crazy: Dollar equivalent was about $70.

Lisa in NC
06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
We just had ours tuned about a month ago. It cost $115. About 6 years ago it was $100. We live in a very rural area so maybe it's more for the long drive.

Blessings,
Lisa

Candace C
06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
We do ours yearly and in our area it is around $100.

Rachel
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks friends!

We are considering buying a piano. I've seen some on Craigslist that we can afford. I thought I would ask about tuning prices here and then dh emailed me and said that it costs about $100-$200.

Deb M
06-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Ours was $85 normal tuning and $35 for extra tuning. He also said that he would call back in a year instead of 6 months. That is something we can handle much easier then twice a year.

AmyinWI
06-15-2011, 01:55 AM
We pay $125...I try to stretch it to every 8 months instead of every 6. Our piano is very old and prior to our getting it had not been tuned in over a decade. (It is the same piano my 57 year old husband got lessons on when he was a boy-and it was old then). I called several places and this is about the going rate around here...

we only get our tuned once a year (if that) , unless it is moved or something.
I asked my kids' piano teacher about it and that was what she suggested .
also she mentioned , storing a piano on an interior wall is better than an exterior.

Gitel in nj
06-15-2011, 09:15 AM
we only get our tuned once a year (if that) , unless it is moved or something.
I asked my kids' piano teacher about it and that was what she suggested .
also she mentioned , storing a piano on an interior wall is better than an exterior.

I kind of do it when the piano teacher starts flipping out :lol:...which is about every 6-7 months. Then I procrastinate a bit--and finally make an appointment. I would say it is about every 8-8.5 months.

Seriously this piano is so old and the strings are so "stretched" that a few of the keys are out of tune within a month; we live with that but when they all start to be off it is a problem. It has been suggested that we refurbish it or buy a new one. Both expensive suggestions.

As for placement, the only place it fits is in an outside corner of the house :unsure:

Candace C
06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
In general, some pianos just hold their tune much better than others. It really depends on each piano. My piano is my grsndmother's piano, probably 50 years old and only needs it once a year...some pianos will even hold longer, but some seem to need it every few months! It probably also depends on how "in tune" your ears are. :lol: some people don't mind it being a little out of tune...or maybe they don't notice. ;)

Rachel
06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Is it just particular to each piano or is there a certain type of piano that holds tune better than others? If I'm going to buy one, even a used one, I might as well know these things so I can be looking for one, since we have the time.

TinaM
06-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Here, it cost about $90. I probably need to get it tuned, now that you mentioned it. It's been almost 2yrs now since the last one. The tech's recommendation was once a year.

Candace C
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Rachel, in my limited experience the brand doesn't always insure how well it holds it's tune. My parents have had a yamaha, though, and it holds up great, they don't even tune it yearly. They tine it when they moved in the past, each time they moved - and it's been moved a LOT, but otherwise it has been great