PDA

View Full Version : Canker Sore ?'s

Angela Paige
06-15-2011, 01:03 PM
My husband Jon is having a canker sore problem. Poor guy almost constantly has at least one canker sore in his mouth ... sometimes more than one. He says he has gotten canker sores regularly since he was a child, but it is growing more and more frequent for some reason. This spring/summer has been terrible ... I'm not sure he has had a day without at least one canker sore since Easter! :eek:

Jone believes he gets a canker sore whenever he eats sugary foods. I'm not totally a believer on that myself, mainly because he will eat say a bowl of ice cream and then 2 or 3 days later a canker sore will appear and he says that the two things are connected. Perhaps he is right... however, he's been avoiding sugar (and tracking even those tricky hidden sources) for the past month. To his own reluctant admission last night, there has been no difference. So now what?

Anyway, these canker sores get really big. They stay around FOREVER. The one in his mouth now is as big as the end of my pinky finger and has been in his mouth for over a week. He puts OTC canker sore medication on it, but htat just seems to kill the pain for a while. We've made a thick baking soda paste to coat on the sore and he claims it burns and stings. We coated it with milk of magnesia. He's rinsed with warm salt water. We changed to a toothpaste that doesn't contain SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate).

What else can we do? Has anyone else ever heard of sugar causing canker sores? Should he see a doctor or dentist? (Which one would be best?) He's resistant to going to see a doctor after the past year of practically living in doctor's offices. In fact, I think that perhaps his canker sore problem is worse now because of the extended use of strong antibiotics ... do you think this is a reasonable assumption?

As this problem continues to plague him, I am getting more and more concerned. I sure would appreciate any insight or help.
Paige

WendyW
06-15-2011, 01:13 PM
For me, it has been when I have a diet high in acidic foods that causes them. Fresh tomatoes in particular. When I was a kid I used to eat fresh tomatoes straight out of the garden as if they were apples, and was guaranteed to get canker sores from them. Pickles and other vinegar-based foods would also be high-acid.

Canker sores can also be caused from trauma- any thing that injures the inside of the cheek, like a hard bite or damage from your toothbrush, can also develop into a canker sore.

There is a correlation between your health in general and whether your body chemistry is acidic or alkaline. I haven't done a lot of research into it, but you can certainly find something if you google it. In light of all the health problems Jon has had, it may be related and worth looking into.

laurie in ok
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
I highly recommend he start taking L-Lysine every day. It is an amino acid that helps with canker/cold sores. He can also take oil of oregano which should help as well.

The L-Lysine can be found at Wal-Mart of about $4 - the oil of oregano will either be online or a health food store.

I know Deleise said her ds rinses his mouth with hydrogen peroxide every day to help with canker sores.

Ginger Lynn
06-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I have Lupus and have been getting fever blisters since I was 3 yrs. old. No Drs. could ever tell me how to keep from getting them. About 3 yrs. ago a friend of mine that gets Canker Sores told me about L-Lysine and I have been taking ever since and only have had 2 fever blisters since I began! That HUGE for me. I got someone at church that gets canker sores to start taking it and her sore have cleared up. So, like Laurie, I highly recommend, L-Lysine!

Paige P
06-15-2011, 03:51 PM
This probably won't help you at all, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway..... I have a liquid medicine that you "paint" on (it comes with a little brush). It's called Pyralvex. Unfortunately, it's not available in the US. It's a mixture of rhubarb extract and ??????? It works like a charm, though. I had some from a trip to Europe, and when we went to Holland in March, I bought another bottle ;)

Here's a description http://www.doctorsolve.com/blog/2007/01/pyralvex-solution-treatment-for-mouth-ulcers.html

I only tell you in case you know of someone traveling to Europe or Canada ..... ya never know.....

It's an amazing medicine :thumb:

Heather W
06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
You've been given a lot of information there. My husband is a sufferer and so are my kids and so is Dan's dad.

We have nearly entirely solved the issue and this has worked for others we've told about this.

They all use Biotene toothpaste. It does not have SLS in it- sodium laurel sulfate. That seems to be the culprit.

Dan has not had near the problem since. I hope you find a solution.

ETA- oh I see you've switched toothpaste. How long has it been? This has been a lifesaver for Dan who used to be a severe sufferer.

As for relief, Dan also put hydrogen peroxide on it to clean it out and then the Philips milk of magnesia.

Angela Paige
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks so much ladies! I got the L-Lysine today and Jon took it tonight with dinner. :clap:

Heather, I will look for the Biotene toothpaste. I did find one without any SLS in it, but it was still a major name brand and a lot of ingredients I couldn't pronounce. I wondered if it was still in the product and just under another name. :perplex:

Paige, wish I knew someone headed to Europe! Unfortunately, we don't. But I wrote the name of it down and if we ever have someone going abroad we are going to ask them to purchase some. Thanks!

Paige

Melissa Crabtree
06-15-2011, 10:29 PM
I hope the l-lysine is enough to help, but I thought I'd pitch in that I used to get canker sores very regularly... switched to Sensodyne toothpaste and do fine for the most part. Now when I get them I can very clearly connect them to overtiredness or stress. I need to keep a bottle of l-lysine on hand for when I bite my cheek b/c that's a guarantee too, but I keep forgetting to get it.

As for having one and getting rid of it more quickly, peroxide a few times a day (mouth washing or applying to the sore specifically) definitely speeds up the process and relieves the pain for me.

deleise
06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I know Deleise said her ds rinses his mouth with hydrogen peroxide every day to help with canker sores. Yes and he does the L-Lysine as well. It works.

Heather W
06-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks so much ladies! I got the L-Lysine today and Jon took it tonight with dinner. :clap:

Heather, I will look for the Biotene toothpaste. I did find one without any SLS in it, but it was still a major name brand and a lot of ingredients I couldn't pronounce. I wondered if it was still in the product and just under another name. :perplex:

Paige, wish I knew someone headed to Europe! Unfortunately, we don't. But I wrote the name of it down and if we ever have someone going abroad we are going to ask them to purchase some. Thanks!

Paige

Yes it is possible that is what's happening. Dan used to use another brand that switched their formula without a word and it was bad! But Biotene is the stuff. I hope it works for you!

Judyn
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
I used to suffer from these...in a AWFUL way. Sometimes as a child my gums would look white because so many had clustered together to cause one HUGE sore.

I get one maybe once a year now.

With me...acidic foods. I love a homegrown tomato. I can eat 3 large ones in one sitting. But if I do...I get a sore :-) So one has become enough;)

Trauma to the mouth...if I bite my cheek really well, I MIGHT get a sore...but I triple the dose of Lysine as soon as I do it...and stay on that high dose for a few days.

STRESS. I had a lot of stress as a child. Its how my body reacted to it.

The Lysine won't completely fix it...but it does wonders. Believe...dosage is NOT a problem. I take the recommended dosage...I think 500 ml. a day...but up it to 1500 in the morning and 1500 at night with a sore or if I have done one of my no no's and it helps SO MUCH!!!

Hayley M
06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I used to get canker sores constantly when I was younger, but rarely get them since I started using Listerine daily. My children get them, and they will soak a cotton ball with Listerine and apply it to the sore, leaving it there for a minute. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it really takes a lot of the pain out of the sore, and makes it heal faster.

I also find that Crest toothpaste contributes to getting sores. I now use Arm & Hammer. Also, if I bite my cheek I need to immediately go rinse with Listerine or I will get a sore.

Stress really seems to trigger them for me too.

I hope you find something that works for him. They are few things more uncomfortable than mouth pain. Poor guy.

Kelli in TN
06-16-2011, 08:34 PM
I have gotten mouth ulcers for YEARS and they are awful! :( I would get 2 or 3 at a time and they would last for weeks. Last fall, I got online because I figured there HAD to be something I could do to help. I found a link that suggested #1 switching to toothpaste with no SLS (which I see you have already done. I use Burt's Bees). And #2 taking sublingual vitamin B12 everyday. You can get it at Walmart for about $4 a bottle. I take 2500 mcg per day. Anyway, I started doing these things in October. I have had maybe 3 ulcers since then and they only lasted 3-4 days max and they were really small so they didn't bother me all that much. Just those two changes have made a world of difference! I also use the Walmart equivalent of Listerine everyday.

Anyway, I hope that helps!

Negin
06-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Paige, you've gotten great advice so far and I've been far too busy lately to even have time to read much, never mind post.

it is growing more and more frequent for some reason.
Sounds to me like his immunity is down. He needs some very good probiotics and other supplements - garlic (would be fabulous) to boost his immunity. His body pH may be out of balance also. Most of us are too acidic. More leafy greens, aloe juice, etc. No time to post much on that. But if you're interested, I have posted on that before here. You can do a search. Eat lots of foods rich in probiotics - kefir, good brand of plain yogurt, and again, lots of garlic.

Jone believes he gets a canker sore whenever he eats sugary foods. I'm not totally a believer on that myself, mainly because he will eat say a bowl of ice cream and then 2 or 3 days later a canker sore will appear and he says that the two things are connected. Perhaps he is right... however, he's been avoiding sugar (and tracking even those tricky hidden sources) for the past month. To his own reluctant admission last night, there has been no difference. So now what?
What else can we do? Has anyone else ever heard of sugar causing canker sores?
Yes, sugar is huge culprit for canker sores. I've read that and experienced it first-hand. The fact that he gets them a few days later is proof. Even if he's avoided sugar for a while, for a month, it takes a long time for it to get truly out of his system. Same thing with my dh, although not canker sores, in his case, candida. Sugar is horrible and most of us love it, including yours truly :sad: :eek:.

Should he see a doctor or dentist? (Which one would be best?)
Do you want my honest opinion? The one few would like to hear? ;)
I would see an integrative physician, or a naturopath, homeopath, or a good nutritionist, even a good chiropractor. This is something internal and dietary-related IMHO and from my personal experience.

Again, plain yogurt, probiotics, and a few cloves of garlic each day.