PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me with questions about having a pet dog?

Nancy Ann
06-16-2011, 01:03 PM
My son is almost going to turn 9 and he has been wanting a pet dog for quite some time. My daughter just turned 2. I am wondering what would be a good age for her to be when we get a dog. I was sort of thinking 5, but my son was very sad to think about having to wait for 3 years.

Also, I have allergies to fleas. For some reason they really like me and I get dermatitis really bad. We had a couple kittens before Mary Beth was born and they got fleas because we had a dog visiting for a short time and brought them into the house. Our kitties were indoor pets, but this dog brought in the fleas. I tried using Frontline flea medication and just could not get a hold of the fleas, they multiplied really fast!! We had a guy come out to spray 3 times and still could not get rid of them. These fleas were also making me miserable my ankles and and legs were so inflamed. So, we found new homes for our kitties because I was pregnant at the time and just couldn't deal with the fleas and I was concerned about all the pesticide we were using try to get rid of the fleas.

I am now wondering if the trouble I was having was because when I put the medication on my kitties one of them would lick it off her sister. Then she would get sick and throw it up. I wonder if because they were licking it off each other I was not stopping the source of the flea problem and the fleas just kept multiplying? Maybe if I would have separated them for a bit when they had the medication on it would have worked! It just seemed so crazy that we could not get rid of the fleas!!

I would prefer to have a couple kitties again, but I know cats are not exciting for kids. I really miss those kitties!:sad:

Anyway, I am concerned about fleas and was wondering how you all deal with that.

Are there any dogs that have lesser problems with fleas. I don't want a hairless Chiwawa! They look very disturbing!:) No offense to anyone who owns one!!

So, basically I am asking about dogs and toddlers and dogs and fleas!:)

Thanks

laurie in ok
06-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Honestly, we have had dogs the entire time our kids have been born. There are breeds that are very good with toddlers and little ones. This may actually be the best time b/c with a toddler you are probably home more - which is important with a new pet. I would not get a tiny dog - it would be too easy for your little one to hurt the dog on accident.

Fleas - if you keep a pet treated for fleas you should not have problems with them. They have all sorts of flea medicines for dogs. I would recommend that you make sure the dog has been on flea meds before you bring him home - or have throughly checked for fleas before bringing him home and immediately start flea medication. You can also have your yard sprayed for fleas for some extra protection. I would have this done at least a few days before bringing the dog home. In all of our years of having a dog (16) we have only had a flea problem once. We moved into a rent house where the backyard was infested and we didn't know it. Once they moved into the house - it can be a long process of getting rid of them.

HTH!

Nancy Ann
06-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Honestly, we have had dogs the entire time our kids have been born. There are breeds that are very good with toddlers and little ones. This may actually be the best time b/c with a toddler you are probably home more - which is important with a new pet. I would not get a tiny dog - it would be too easy for your little one to hurt the dog on accident.

Fleas - if you keep a pet treated for fleas you should not have problems with them. They have all sorts of flea medicines for dogs. I would recommend that you make sure the dog has been on flea meds before you bring him home - or have thoroughly checked for fleas before bringing him home and immediately start flea medication. You can also have your yard sprayed for fleas for some extra protection. I would have this done at least a few days before bringing the dog home. In all of our years of having a dog (16) we have only had a flea problem once. We moved into a rent house where the backyard was infested and we didn't know it. Once they moved into the house - it can be a long process of getting rid of them.

HTH!

Wouldn't your dog bring fleas in the house if you go to the park or camping or take him anywhere? Or does having regular flea medication prevent that. I think you are right about just having a dog regularly medicated for fleas that makes sense.

KarenF
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Regular flea medication would prevent them bringing in fleas for the most part.

We never had a flea problem with my cat that I had growing up or the dog we had who passed last year. DH and DS brought home a stray last year who was infested with fleas and worms. We had her for about 2 days before we got to the vet but the fleas never really left her. We did topical treatment, vacuumed everything, washed everything she had been on and had no reoccurrance of fleas.

Dogs are wonderful and they are so good for boys. I wasn't ready for this dog after my beloved dog passed, but I am grateful we have her now as she is so loved my DS.

Alicia
06-16-2011, 03:13 PM
We have had a pet dog for the past 2 1/2 years and I have never seen a flea on him or in our house. We live in S. Florida where fleas could be a problem. Our dog was treated with Vectra, but now Frontline once/month. Ticks, however, are another problem! :mad:

laurie in ok
06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
As long as you regularly treat your dog - he/she should not bring fleas into the house no matter where you take them. Today's flea meds kill the fleas when they bite your dog. They also keep the flea's eggs from ever being able hatch.

Rachel Jane
06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Paws-Consider-Choosing-Right-Family/dp/0446521515

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do

Nancy Ann
06-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the info guys and the links!:)

So what do you think about a beagle? I always hear people say such negative things but they sort of seem like a great family dog. We are home all the time and would not be leaving him on his own so I would think the howling would not be a problem for neighbors. My husband loves Beagles and I think his only problem is the noise because I think his grandmother had a beagle. But I have no experience with them.

Rachel Jane
06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.rockwoodbeagles.com/beagleinfo.html
Dog = toddlers with fur

Rachel
06-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Well, I don't have all the time to go on and on and rave about our Benson but he's the best kind of dog! :lol: (meaning that we think he'sthe best) We have a golden retriever and we've had him since before kids.

We've never had fleas but yes, ticks are a menace. But it's something that you deal with when having a dog, although for us here in OK, it's something you deal with by being alive and going to a park, nature center, camping.... almost anywhere really. Ticks are gross, not nice, not fun but you deal with it.

I can post more later... maybe this weekend more likely but we really really love our dog. He's my first baby and I will be devastated when he's gone. Dh has been trying to prepare me, telling me he'll probably die soon, anytime now....

He's been the very best with our children and every other child we've had around him. I can tell a very funny story about a baby poking their nose into Benson's nostril and he did nothing!!

Alicia
06-16-2011, 08:22 PM
We have a golden retriever too, and he's a great dog and great with kids!!! We got ours because my sil had a golden retriever that was a great dog with kids.:)