PDA

View Full Version : My 15 year old son just taught a friend something he learned from these boards...

Gitel in nj
06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
We started hanging around these boards about 10 years ago and one of the first things I remember teaching my son--besides all the cool FIAR stuff--was a little song that we found on the old forums that listed all the US Presidents in order. It was sung to the tune of 10 little Indians. Does anyone remember when that was going around?

As a little guy he used to amaze everyone by singing that song. Now he amazes people because he can figure out which president came before which one or which president was the 19th President or whatever. It can be very useful when you are studying US history. Yesterday some of his friends asked him how he knew those things and he sang them the song.

Well, guess what I just found him doing tonight? Skyping with 2 of those friends and teaching them the song. It was so cute!

YAY for the FIAR forums! :clap:

KarenF
06-16-2011, 09:00 PM
That's really cool! I have never heard it so I googled and found this:

http://www.mrsjonesroom.com/songs/usapresidents.html

Carol S
06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Yep. I always mentally credit Rebe for it, though I have no idea whether she was really the first.

My children and I have decided that whoever succeeds Obama really needs to have a 2 syllable name so he can fit on the current verse. :lol:

Tracey
06-16-2011, 10:01 PM
That is cool! :cool:

Gwen in Texas
06-16-2011, 10:04 PM
My children and I have decided that whoever succeeds Obama really needs to have a 2 syllable name so he can fit on the current verse. :lol:

I guess you could say first and last name: Ron Paul. ;)

Gitel in nj
06-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Yep. I always mentally credit Rebe for it, though I have no idea whether she was really the first.

Well..when he was learning the song..George W. had been elected but he was not president yet so we sang the last bit like this ... Bush and Clinton, now it's time for George W. Bush.
Of course for his friend he took that out and added Obama...

Jekka Renee
06-16-2011, 10:57 PM
I wish I had learned that version - it's nice and short. All I know is the Animaniacs song; it takes awhile to get though, although you do learn some interesting facts along the way.

Lis in MA
06-16-2011, 11:39 PM
:cool:

Rebecca sings that every so often, and yes, Rebe posting is my recollection also. :)

Fun stuff!

Rebecca in Orlando
06-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Where's the "like" button??

So cool!!

Cate OH
06-18-2011, 07:04 PM
:cool: We learned that here too! LOVE IT! Now that my son is older, we had to learn to say it out loud (not singing) while still singing it in his head! :D

Rebe
06-19-2011, 05:41 PM
:clap: I do love this. Back when my oldest was around 7, I began posting it in the 3R's room every February. I think (but I'm not sure, it's been so long) that I got it originally from the FIAR Through the Seasons book.

I used to love hearing my little 2yo go around lisping the names of the Presidents. :)

The version we use is slightly different from that link above. This is it:

Presidents song
(tune of Ten Little Indians)

Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison,
Monroe, Adams, Jackson, Van Buren,
Harrison, Tyler, Polk and Taylor,
Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan!

Lincoln, Johnson, Grant and Hayes,
Garfield, Arthur, Cleveland, Harrison,
Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft,
Wilson, Harding, Coolidge!

Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower,