PDA

View Full Version : Considering purchasing a good generator

Carol Ryan
06-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Well, hurricane season is upon us. We are considering getting a generator. The crazy storm patterns around the U.S. the last few months have us a little bit concerned. The hurricanes back in 2006, I think it was, hit us 1, 2, 3 and we are in the center of the state of Florida. I'd never seen anything like it.

So, if you have ever used a generator or know anything about them, please give me some feedback. It's just a thought at this point, but we're curious.

Thanks! :)

Tricia O
06-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I've thought about that too, with two deep freezers, but if we had a really bad storm, I'm not sure how we'd get gas for the generator, and also not sure if we'd be around to make sure we actually can use it. :unsure:

Tricia in TX
06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
We are considering getting a generator.

So, if you have ever used a generator or know anything about them, please give me some feedback. It's just a thought at this point, but we're curious.

Thanks! :)

I'm not sure how we'd get gas for the generator, and also not sure if we'd be around to make sure we actually can use it. :unsure:

My husband has done quite a bit of research on generators. We needed one for when we go camping so we don't have to always hook up to electricity. It gives us more options for where we can camp.

Here is what he said.

Honda, or Yamaha are the best but they are pricy. Boliy and Kipor are cheeper versions and they are good too, especially if you are using it periodically.

They do have propane powered generators as well if you have a propane tank. They go through the propane pretty first though.

If you've got the $ a Honda or Yamaha is the way to go.

Steve Lambert
06-19-2011, 09:05 PM
For $500-$600 you can buy a 5,000 watt generator that is BIG and LOUD and HEAVY and works fine to handle refrigerator, freezer, some light circuits. It drinks quite a bit of gasoline but is more than adequate. Coleman is a common brand but there are dozens of companies that make these units.

Or, for $900-$1000 you can buy a 2,000 watt generator that is TINY and QUIET and LIGHT and will provide enough power to operate refrigerator and freezer but not too much more. It uses very little fuel and is easy to move. Yamaha or Honda is good. These can also be used for power when camping, recharging boat batteries, for portable sound systems and much more.

Or, for $3000-$8000 you can buy a 10,000-20,000 watt generator that will run your entire house including air conditioning continuously- provided you can keep feeding it fuel. These are permanent mount units that automatically switch on the moment your house power fails.

I've had one of the first type and now have one of the second type- a Yamaha. The smaller units are more expensive, but much more versatile, more portable and more fuel efficient. They're also much easier to start than the big monstrous pull-ropes on the 5,000 watt units. You can dislocate your arm pulling and pulling and pulling if you haven't run it for several months!!

Blessings,

Steve

Laura F
06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
We have a generator from our days of living along the NC coast. We never had to use it when we lived on Padre Island for 3 years, and I'm not sure if we'll need it in Maryland. It's a Troy and it's noisy, but it's helped us save the contents of our refrigerator quite a few times.