PDA

View Full Version : I've found myself unknowingly trying to fit in...

JennyO
06-19-2011, 11:46 PM
...I just do it. In my brain, I just don't realize that other people see our family differently. I feel just like everyone else. Yet, when I talk to most people, I can tell that we are very much seeing life thru different lenses. I am always so thankful for those few compassionate souls who want to try and "get it" when it comes to our daughter. Actually..I am very thankful for our new church. People there have started asking more questions about our daughter. And why?? Because, I've quit being "normal," I guess. After church we have a very informal fellowship time. I walk around my with my (somewhat small) ten year old on my hip.:lol: She loves to be carried this way at times. I walk right up to people and we chat:D

People are really noticing her and how much we enjoy her. So, I am going to write up a short, but informative newsletter on my daughter to give to trusted people at the church. It's rather exhausting to answer all of those questions. But, it's a good thing, I know.;)

AmyinWI
06-20-2011, 12:53 AM
I admire you for being willing to write a letter. I know how frustrating that is to have to explain things over and over...:group:

Hollie in SC
06-20-2011, 07:41 AM
:group: I think that is a really neat idea.

Alice R
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
:group:

TonyaP
06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I broke down in tears at VBS after DS had a melt-down. The next day almost all the ladies at the church were at a funeral dinner, so now everyone knows how real I am. ;) It really was needed though. We weren't having this issue a few years ago when we started attending and I think a lot of folks just had no idea what was going on with DS or me. And, it felt so good to actually be understood.

Tracey
06-20-2011, 06:36 PM
That is a great idea!

Melissa Crabtree
06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
My parents' neighbors wrote a letter of explanation when their young son was diagnosed with autism. They wrote about some of the safety issues, behavioral issues and answered many of the questions people would have. Mom and Dad had some experience with autism form my babysitting kids, but they thought it was a great way to share Eric's diagnosis clearly with a lot of people.
I think many times fear takes root in a lack of understanding and as soon as that can be overcome, the fear is gone. For that reason, when we're integrating our special needs kids at church into the regular classes for VBS or something else, we always take a minute or two the first day and explain what the kids might do, why and how the kids can help in the situation. The group we travel with most often now takes it all in stride and jumps right in to help if we need it! :hcry: