PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Maine- any locals???

Laurie Dawn
06-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Some friends and I are meeting in Portland, Maine in October for our 40th birthday! We are running a half marathon there as well. We will be there for 5 nights! Here are my questions:

Any ideas of what to do? We talked about driving to either the White Mountain National Forest or the Acadia National Park for some bike riding! Wondering if anyone has been to either and can tell me some opinions. It will be during fall foliage and we want the best scenery. ;)We were wanting to do some bed and breakfasts lodging for a night or two in the national park areas.
My hubby thinks that we could save the driving and find places to ride bikes around Portland.
Also looking at doing a spa day the day of or day after the race and would love some recommendations for a good place in Portland, Maine for that!

We are in brainstorming mode and any opinions would be appreciated!

Tammy ME
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi Laurie, :hi:

I live fairly close to Portland if you have any other specific questions.

I've been to the White Mountains before (although it's been quite a white) and it's about 2.5 hours from Portland. There are a lot of places to stay. We have usually done day trips, so maybe someone who has stayed overnight in the area will post. Acadia is about 3.5 hours, although I haven't been there (yet). Acadia has some camping areas that I have heard of, but I am not sure what is in the surrounding area for b & b's. I can ask some friends of mine that have been there quite a bit if you would like.

There are a lot of biking and hiking trails around both areas and prime foliage season for both places.

This site http://www.exploremaine.org/bike/bike_tours.html has a lot of great information for biking.

I am waiting for a reply from my cousin who would know about the better spa's in Portland. I'll let you know when I hear.

Tammy

Susan Seaman
06-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I've been camping in the White Mountains, and it was beautiful. I'm sure there are places to stay there as it's a snow skiing area in the winter.

Unless you're going in very early October, won't the fall colors already have peaked? I always thought the peak was in September up there. Here in TN, they typically peak the last week of October.

Laurie Dawn
06-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Thx- excited to hear what you find out. I am so excited about this trip.

Tammy ME
06-22-2011, 10:21 AM
It will depend on which week you are coming as to where the foliage is peaking. Here along the coast (including the Portland area) it usually peaks between the second and third week of October. In the mountains it normally peaks between the first and second week of October. There is normally great color for the week or two before the peak as well.

There is a big fair in Fryeburg the first week in October and the color is usually fabulous when we've gone (whether it is really peaking or not.)

Hope that helps.

Laurie Dawn
06-22-2011, 06:00 PM
We are going Sept. 28 through Oct. 3.!

Tammy ME
06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Heard back from her. She mentioned 3 different places. Nine Stones, Akari and Lucinda's Day Spa. The first two are right in Portland. They will be pretty easy to find. Lucinda's has 2 different locations, one in Cumberland Foreside and another in Scarborough which are both right outside of Portland.

If I can help you with anything else, just let me know.

Laurie Dawn
06-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Heard back from her. She mentioned 3 different places. Nine Stones, Akari and Lucinda's Day Spa. The first two are right in Portland. They will be pretty easy to find. Lucinda's has 2 different locations, one in Cumberland Foreside and another in Scarborough which are both right outside of Portland.

If I can help you with anything else, just let me know.

Oh thankyou! :clap: This will save me sooo much time and I love getting recommendations instead of research blindly! Appreciate it.

Laura F
06-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Doesn't Shay Christie live in Maine? I haven't seen any posts from her in awhile, but I bet you could get in touch.

Laurie Dawn
06-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Doesn't Shay Christie live in Maine? I haven't seen any posts from her in awhile, but I bet you could get in touch.

Great idea- I will see if I can PM her!