PDA

View Full Version : decided to apply for a disabled car tag

AmyinWI
07-09-2011, 09:29 PM
I asked you all about this a few months back. I finally decided to go ahead with it. My G is now 4yo and while he is fairly small yet (32#) he is extremely strong and even more strong -willed.

we've been trying to work with him on walking from the van into a store, etc. and he just refuses (or can't? ) make it the whole way, about 10ft. into the walk, he plops down and refuses to budge. My shoulder is killing me from carring him all over,and fighting with him when he won't get up and move.

so yesterday G had his 4yo check up and the Dr. thought that was a great idea,and said he definitely would qualify as "permanently disabled" ,even though his mobility is not generally a problem, for long distances it is.
I feel a bit guilty as he is not in a wheelchair or anything really severe. I don't plan on using it at a place where there are shopping carts available (as long as he can fit in them) more if we go to a public place like a zoo, museum,park etc. where there might be a longer walk involved.

JennyO
07-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Don't feel bad! We have handicap parking tag, and I love it!:D Our daughter is not in a wheelchair either. Although, she has a specialty stroller that we use at times. Otherwise she likes to walk. She's just slower than my other kids, and she's so small. Often times, I carry her as well. She's that little. 10 years old and the size of her 5 year old brother. Anyway, I find that having the tag is a wonderful, wonderful thing in busy parking lots. I definitely don't abuse having it on hand;) I do remember though, feeling guilt, sadness, etc. when we first got it and when I first used it. They were just normal feelings that passed quickly for me. Anyway, I hope you take full advantage of it. You are using to help your son and it will help you in your unique circumstances.

AmyinWI
07-10-2011, 11:36 PM
thanks for the encouragement Jenny. I think I'll mostly use it in the future, when he is definitely too heavy for me to carry (probably a year from now) he's not all the big, but he fights being carried, yet won't walk either. :unsure: he's a stubborn guy!!

Today I was talking to a mom at church with an autistic son,and she mentioned she has a pediatric stroller/wheelchair that will fit Gabe, and we are welcome to have it ! Next week we are going to try it out and see if it will work for him. I love how God keeps blessing us unexpectedly! :clap:

Jenny, have you had any experience with anyone being rude to you with having a disabled tag,even though your dd is walking? My friend (with 3 disabled kids) said she has had several rude comments from people from parking in a disabled spot because her kids were able to walk (although at least 2 of them have a disability that is obvious to anyone).

Hollie in SC
07-11-2011, 06:01 AM
:group: Amy, Noah also just SITS down and at 44 pounds he is killing our backs. I hope that things work smoothly for you to obtain the tag and that it is a blessing.

Also saw the stroller and :clap:

Leslie Nelsen
07-13-2011, 11:48 AM
:group: I understand the guilt and hope you won't get any rude comments from anyone!

:clap: on the new stroller too! Praying you find this to be a blessing! :)

tracy
07-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I pray you get the handicap parking tag.

Yesterday, I witnessed a toddler sized boy working very hard to walk using his pediatric walker. I stopped to let he and his mom cross in front of me in the shopping center. I then had to lay on the horn to inform a driver who was not looking while backing up and nearly hitting the boy and the mom bent over helping him. The surprised look on the driver was touching when she finally saw the young determined and struggling boy.

If I had a handicap tag to pass out, I would have gladly given it to the mom and her son.

So for the safety and well being of your son, don't feel guilty about applying and using a tag.
And for the people you feel are giving you dirty looks, just smile and pray for them for they do not understand nor do they have to walk in yours or ds's shoes. :group:

Trish A
07-17-2011, 07:44 PM
This has been on my mind too. We're not ready to get it yet, Seth's only 22 pounds and we carry him everywhere because his special stroller is a pain, but I know it's in our not too distant future.

Hope you get it soon!

AmyinWI
07-17-2011, 09:12 PM
wow, it came in the mail already!

Hollie in SC
07-18-2011, 05:59 AM
:clap:

tracy
07-18-2011, 09:54 AM
:clap:
Praise Jesus! :hcry:

mariah m
07-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Amy, I got one for the very same reason..the flop and drop unfortunately is a frequent behavior of our kids with ds. It took a huge physical toll on me too.

And now? I qualify for the plaque myself but don't always use it. I try to park away from people as much as I can.