PDA

View Full Version : has anyone seen a bed like this?

AmyinWI
07-10-2011, 11:41 PM
My 4yo started climbing out of his crib this week. I haven't been able to sleep at all, because I am so worried he is going to get out of his room (we put a gate in the doorway,too) or get hurt trying to climb out. He has no concept of danger and can't go down stairs safely- his bedroom is on the 2nd floor.

I was going to have dh build some kind of bunk bed with enclosure to keep G safe, but the boys have a room with slanted ceilings which is making it more difficult to figure out what to do.
I was going to just clear his room out and put a mattress on the floor and gate off the room, but since he shares with my other son, I didn't think that was fair.
But today I found this tent/bed online. http://www.myreadysetbloom.com/

Has anyone seen something similar to this? I am so excited to have found this,and it is a reasonable price. The other beds for autistic kids I have seen are about $5000, way out of our price range!

JennyO
07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
I have seen this! And over a year ago, I had sent the seller/creator of this cool looking tent bed an email. I think that they were on backorder at the time. I think the bed looks great!

We did end up ordering a regular free-standing tent for our daughter just recently. We're hoping to use it for travel (we'll be using it indoors.) It's a six by seven foot tent. We set it up in our living room a few weeks back and the kids had a blast playing in it. Well, all except the child we got it for:lol: She just ran around and ignored it pretty much.

Our daughter cannot figure out how to unzip it, due to her intellectual disability. But, it's a good fit for her. That's all I can say, as we haven't tried it out yet. As far as at home...we have an expensive enclosed specialty bed that we use for her and that she loves.

Alice R
07-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Ok, this is going to sound silly but I have seen many families with the mattress on the floor. The child can't get hurt "climbing" if they are already on the floor. Now granted, I work with some "interesting" families but I think they are just doing the best they can with what they have. ;) Sometimes simple is best. :lol:

That does not solve the problem of getting out of the room though.

Amanda Williams
07-11-2011, 05:14 PM
I have not seen this before, but I may be buying one for my 2 year old when this new baby comes. He sleeps with me now, but that will need to change. ;)

Thanks for posting.

Kellie in NE
07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
We do the mattress on the floor-when she sleeps in the bed at all. I have seen this bed and thought very seriously about ordering it. We have a night wanderer here-and it scares me. I do not believe this bed will work for us because my daughter hates to be enclosed.

If you get the bed, I would love to hear how it works for you!

Hollie in SC
07-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Amy, we bought a taller baby gate at Walmart and have had to attach it in the doorway and put a lock on it to keep Noah in his room at night. :spin: But it is worth it to know he is safe. One night we forgot and he came bounding into our room. :eek: We realized he had been through the whole house. :eek::eek: We have a house alarm, but if it goes off we don't know if it is an intruder, fire, or someone exiting the house. And we have 4 doors to the outside at our house. Too much trauma when the alarm is going off. :perplex:

I can't see your link because of my filter. But I wanted to send you a hug as we understand.:group:

tracy
07-11-2011, 11:13 PM
cool bed idea.
I do the bed on the floor, baby gate at the door, monitor in the room and most recently locking the bedroom door with my 2ds (PDD-NOS) whom is not sharing a room. It works and I can peacefully sleep through the night.

My 13dd (Aspie), when she was younger would sleep walk and roam the house. Use to scare the wits out of us. I placed cowbells and big sleigh bells on the door handles. She has set off the house alarm in the middle of the night. :eek:

Update us if you end up buying this tent bed.

AmyinWI
07-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Ok, this is going to sound silly but I have seen many families with the mattress on the floor. The child can't get hurt "climbing" if they are already on the floor. Now granted, I work with some "interesting" families but I think they are just doing the best they can with what they have. ;) Sometimes simple is best. :lol:

That does not solve the problem of getting out of the room though.

I was really ok with the mattress on the floor, but that would involve clearing out the ENTIRE room, since he climbs up the bookshelf/dresser ,etc. And we just don't have any more space to store their clothes. If he was in his own room, that would probably work well, but sharing a room with brother complicates the issue.
Also, his bedroom slanted walls and he sometimes whacks his head on the sides of the walls because he is so uncoordinated. So I guess the tent thing would help with safety in general. I think we are going to order this, I hope it last for at least a few years!

AmyinWI
07-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Amy, we bought a taller baby gate at Walmart and have had to attach it in the doorway and put a lock on it to keep Noah in his room at night. :spin: But it is worth it to know he is safe. One night we forgot and he came bounding into our room. :eek: We realized he had been through the whole house. :eek::eek: We have a house alarm, but if it goes off we don't know if it is an intruder, fire, or someone exiting the house. And we have 4 doors to the outside at our house. Too much trauma when the alarm is going off. :perplex:

I can't see your link because of my filter. But I wanted to send you a hug as we understand.:group:

scary!!! :eek: We will definitely be putting alarms on the exterior (and maybe interior) doors when G gets older! So far he hasn't been able to open doorknobs to get outside, but he is sure trying!