PDA

View Full Version : We are on the waiting list now...

AmyinWI
07-22-2011, 01:10 AM
for ABA therapy (in home autism therapy) .... I was pretty hesitant about applying for it at first, due to the amount of time I am going to have to be home while they work with him, also my son had so many physical/medical issues going and I was convinced (by the school ) that they had so much to offer him ,and he would get his therapy so many times a week, blah blah blah.... well they did fine with him, but I can see the therapists are overworked, his ST has 43 kids to work with every week !!!... how is that even possible? He did gain a few skills through the year, but certainly not the kind of progress I was hoping for... so I am again looking into the ABA therapy to see if that helps him progress.

Get this... in our state, G is # 355 on the waiting list for this therapy!! Oh, I wish I had put him on it sooner, I have no idea how long this is going to take. :unsure:

Alice R
07-22-2011, 01:04 PM
:eek:

Wow, it is astounding to me how different states function so differently. In NYC, our children are placed in a school or home based in about 60 days. Up to 40 hours per week if the parent wants that much therapy.

I'm glad he is on the list! I think you'll be pleased. :group:

AmyinWI
07-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Alice, are the schools especially for autistic kids, or just a particular program in the school?
I guess part of the waiting game is due to state funding. If you can get your private insurance to pay, then it can start right away. I don't know about our insurance, it's something I have to look into. Apparently there was a change last year where insurances were supposed to be required to pay for autism therapy, but some have gotten around it?

Alice R
07-22-2011, 08:09 PM
They are for children with autism only.

Assuming I understand correctly, they are private schools funded completely by the state. So, essentially they are public schools. ;) That is for 0-5. At 5 they attend a regular public school with a separate departments/classes for children with autism. Sometimes, they are completely separate buildings. My husband works in one; it is ages 5-21. It's a nice school.

I know all this "stuff" is directly related to what state you live in, how it is funded etc. but it just seems so odd that a child's outcome depends on what state you live in. However, NY is king of taxes so when people complain about taxes (myself included) this is where money does go. But that's a whole other political discussion and I don't really care that much. :lol:

mariah m
07-28-2011, 03:39 PM
If it makes you feel any better we just got approved for respite and behavior analysis for Nicolas after six years...and only because of a crisis referral (my condition).

I've often wondered if we should have left NY....too late now. We'd have an easier time with insurance than we do here.