PDA

View Full Version : Comprehension

Christi in VA
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
This is a repeat post from the Three R's board...just thought I'd try here, too:

For two years in a row, one of my children's standardized test scores have confirmed what I already suspected. One child can almost photographically spit back exact sentences of what was read, but no "true" comprehension. Little critical thinking takes place. This child soars in mathematics and anything repetitious and has other symptoms of autism. I am not at a place where I can devote the time to getting an evaluation...but will begin after we get moved and settled. In the meantime, anyone got any ideas on this?

ETA: I am also open to any links, info, tips, anything on homeschooling a middle school child that has autistic symptoms.

I should have prefaced this with saying that I have been trying for years to "figure this child out". Only in the last few have I come to the conclusion that this is a very good likelihood. I am not totally sure that I want a technical diagnosis, just because of labeling-especially at this age. She is already picking up on the fact that she is a smidge "different" and even says so. I just want to know how to guide her and help her excel. My s-i-l, who is very close and has very close relationships with all of our children, actually brought this up to me, without my solicitation. So, I am feeling somewhat sure that I am at least headed down the right path. Many of the issues I've had in the past feel like "a-ha" moments when I see so many of them listed on a symptom checklist that it's almost a relief! Thanks soooo much if you've stayed with me this far. :)

Esther-Alabama
08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
To help with reading comprehension in my ds, we have done the following:

Reading aloud together every day. I read a page and he reads the same page after me. After both readings, I ask him to tell me what that page said. In the beginning, he needed me to prompt him with specific questions. It has slowly improved.

RAZ-KIDS a website based program that allows kids to read a book,'listen to the book and then take a quiz on that book to earn points.

Narration on all readings. Tell me in your own words what that said.

TonyaP
08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I like Remedia Publications reading comprehension materials and also used Reading Rescue 1-2-3 to help my borderline spectrum kid.