PDA

View Full Version : can we talk diapers here?

AmyinWI
08-12-2011, 12:26 AM
my son is 4yo , but in no way ready to start potty training (I've tried, but he really has no clue and usually fights it)

So he's pretty small (32# or so) I've just been putting regular diapers on him, but getting him to lay down to put them on properly is a chore. He likes to stand, and move and try to run away. :lol:
So most of the time getting him dressed, I'll just have him stand up. He knows enough to put his right leg up to get into the pants leg, sometimes the left leg too.
The thought occurred to me to buy pull ups, and see how it goes. I actually noticed that huggies came out with a slip on diaper (for active movers! lol) but it only goes up to size 5, so I was wondering what is the difference between that and a pullup? the sizes?
my only fear is when he has a messy diaper, and he is generally constipated, so there are little marbles all over in his diaper (lol,sorry if that's tmi) I guess it's better than a runny one, right?

so what do you think, pullups? where do you go from there when they are not potty trained, but too big for diapers or pullups?

Melissa Crabtree
08-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Amy, I know several of my Sunday School kids are in a brand of pull-ups (made by Merck) that is provided by their insurance. They're 9, 10, and 11 years old. For now, I'd go for whatever's cheapest! But you may have luck calling a medical supply store. If you want the name of these, I'll see one of the kids today and try to remember to look. The name escapes me at this moment.

And you know through the Amazon Mom program you can get a good discount, get them shipped to your house for free and no tax, right? So once you find what you want to use, that's a great way to go I hear!

Catherine
08-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't know if this will work for you and your son, but this is what I did with Aaron. Who I'm happy to say is finally out of diapers :clap: He is non-verbal, though signs, is also small for his age and also has "marbles" ;) When he got to be too big and uncooperative to change on the floor. I started having him wear pull ups (thinking it was kinda like safe underwear) and taking him to the bathroom for all changes. I would take him every 2-3 hours (of course this was not always consistent, we'd get off track and then get back on). I worked with him on being responsible for pottying - pulling down his pants sitting on the potty etc. If he was wet/dirty when I took him I'd change him, but still have him sit on the potty. If he was dry, a big whoo hoo! We did the handwashing and flushing too. Over time he knew the routine and became more and more capable of and wanting to do things himself, with more whoo hoos! and fewer changes.

For us this was a long process, I think a lot due to my inability to be consistent for long periods of time (think months into years). It did get much easier and he became much more independent and then one day I realized he was always dry/clean and we weren't changing diapers but using the potty all the time. So I got brave and started putting him in underwear. First just at home. When we went out I would put pull ups on over his underwear (probably because I was a little chicken and didn't want to deal with any accicdents). I eventually got brave and he's done just fine, even at night.

This may be way more than you wanted. Hope you find something that works for you.

amanda b
08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
My son still fits into a size 5 diaper for daytime, but leaks at night due to continuous tube feeding, so we now order medical diapers- made by the Tranquility brand that are fantastic!!! I can't remember the name of the site I get them from, but it's something like cheap diapers or cheapchux, Im not sure....
we get them delivered by the case and they have overnight or day time ones in many different sizes.

Lisalyn
08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Amy,

We use a brand called Sleep Overs that are provided by a medical supply company. I'm not sure who makes them. They are plain white, nothing fancy, heavy duty pullups. (They contain the marbles. :lol: )

We get them through insurance because of Eli's age. At four years old, G should be able to get a prescription from his doctor due to incontinence.

AmyinWI
08-12-2011, 08:49 PM
And you know through the Amazon Mom program you can get a good discount, get them shipped to your house for free and no tax, right? So once you find what you want to use, that's a great way to go I hear!

Just a few months ago, I signed up, at the suggestion of someone here. It has really saved alot of money, and free shipping,too.:)

AmyinWI
08-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Amy,

We use a brand called Sleep Overs that are provided by a medical supply company. I'm not sure who makes them. They are plain white, nothing fancy, heavy duty pullups. (They contain the marbles. :lol: )

We get them through insurance because of Eli's age. At four years old, G should be able to get a prescription from his doctor due to incontinence.

you know I completely forgot about insurance paying for diapers/pullups.
I have a friend with a 20yr old disabled son,and she mentioned it once. I guess I figured since Gabe is only 4,that it would be too young for them to pay for pullups, I'll have to check into it next week with our medical supplier. thanks!

Christi in OH
08-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Veronica who is 40 pounds can wear size 7 diapers we get from Amazon or pull-ups no problem. She just uses them at night she has been in undies during the day just about a year now. So on the late side but when she was totally ready.

Good luck.

AmyinWI
08-17-2011, 10:02 PM
I got the information for the free diapers/pullups in our state from my friend.
THey took his info over the phone and are sending out free samples to try.
Next month they'll send out a shipment of whatever I choose. Can't wait to try him in pullups, I think it will work out ok.

Marna IN
08-25-2011, 03:46 PM
melissa, what is an "amazon mom" program? i've never heard of this. :hcry:

our daughter is 5 1/2 and at 40 lbs. we are using the Overnight size S pull ups (huggies). they hold more that way. but it cost us SO much! :sad:

warmly,
marna

Hollie in SC
08-25-2011, 03:56 PM
melissa, what is an "amazon mom" program? i've never heard of this. :hcry:

our daughter is 5 1/2 and at 40 lbs. we are using the Overnight size S pull ups (huggies). they hold more that way. but it cost us SO much! :sad:

warmly,
marna

Amazon Mom (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&docId=1000535351) is a free program w/Amazon. It has a variety of benefits including an extra discount on diapers. We use Huggies Overnights with Noah at night and often on vacation and I order them there.

AmyinWI
08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
If you "subscribe" to a shipment of an item on amazon you get a discount,I subscribe to a few things like diapers,and ethnic haircare products for my kids that I can't find locally. I save fom 20-30% that way,and free shipping. You can order the shipment to arrive. Monthly,every 2 months,or every 6 months,etc. Just don't make the mistake I did,and accidentally order a shipment twice!