PDA

View Full Version : Reading and down syndrome?

Christi in OH
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Anyone have a favorite method or program for teaching reading to someone with down syndrome?

Veronica is 8 and knows most of her letter sounds. I would like to get started on some basic reading for her. I have Teaching Reading to People with Down Syndrome. I just haven't ever managed to get that program rolling.

Thanks for any suggestions.

AmyinWI
08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
No suggestions for you,my guy is only 4yo, but just wanted to say :hi: !! Haven't seen you around for awhile,and was just thinking of you the other day :)

Jenene
08-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Anyone have a favorite method or program for teaching reading to someone with down syndrome?

Veronica is 8 and knows most of her letter sounds. I would like to get started on some basic reading for her. I have Teaching Reading to People with Down Syndrome. I just haven't ever managed to get that program rolling.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I use Mrs. Browns program for Down syndrome kids. You can see her you tube videos under sohappytolearn.com. She uses concepts from Teaching Reading to children with DS. She has worked with DS kids for many years with great success. She will email you back if you have questions.

We love her program so much. I also use before FIAR for my Ellie (she is 8 and has DS) because she has fun with the books.

Catherine
08-16-2011, 09:00 PM
We're using a combination of info from Teaching Reading and the Say and Learn info from Down Sydrome Trust. Their program begins with site words and moves to short sentences. The different levels are free to download or you can purchase ready made. The Orange County Down Syndrome Association also has a Learning program with online downloads for reading and math. I've also made Aaron some short "books" to go along with some of our learning themes.