PDA

View Full Version : Clothes

Kellie in NE
08-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Looking for some clothing suggestions for a little four year old who likes to take her clothes off all the time. She has a developmental delay and is nonverbal. The biggest problem-she is not potty trained (although we are working on it-I do not believe she knows when she needs to) and she will take off all her clothes in the middle of a play date (or anywhere in public). We use Little Keeper Sleepers (www.littlekeepersleeper.com) at night and they work. I am looking for something for her to wear under her clothing-or as her main clothing at home if she prefers to keep her pants on. Do you think a spandex leotard would work and be comfortable for her?

Hollie in SC
08-17-2011, 03:33 PM
That is hard since she does it away from home. Our youngest loves that, but only at home. He has a colostomy and likes to get into it :p so we have more than modesty issues. Noah is much better about it than he used to be, but he still wears onesies to help slow him down. Unfortunately, The Children's Place isn't making them as large as they used to. We also have some Carter's pajamas that are one piece w/zipper but no built in footies. So he wears those backwards. :spin:

:group: and praying you find just what you need.

Melissa Crabtree
08-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I know my dd LOVES her leotards! She doesn't have special needs, but she has issues with things being remotely tight, and she seems to think they're very comfy. Not sure how much of a magician she is. She may be able to get it off herself. If she could, I think I'd go for a racerback swimsuit (on sale at WalMart right now!). Those are much harder to get off the shoulders.

Kellie in NE
08-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Thank you both for your suggestions. We are going to try the racerback swimsuits when we are out in public. I think it would at least slow her down but I know that she can pull her pants down through the leg holes of the swimsuit if she really wants to. (She is such a determined little girl). I went ahead and purchased this (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/girls_46x/more_forgirls/dancewear/PRD~815025/Jacques+Moret+Studded+Peace+Sign+Dance+Leotard.jsp ) for around the house.

Thank you for understanding!

AmyinWI
08-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Gabe is not quite so coordinated to pull his clothes off, but on occasion he gets his pants or shorts off if they are elastic waist (which I generally put on him so his g-tube doesn't rub on denim waistline).
today he was outside at the water table he loves to play at and watching him he just ,kept trying to wriggle out of his shorts. I was thinking about you and wondering if Gabe will be taking all of his clothes off in a few years! :eek:

Now a questions (if you dont' mind if I add my own)

Gabe is always taking off his socks and shoes, any suggestions for ways to keep them on? I'm mostly concerned about it in winter, or when he's at school. I don't even bother at home.
Someone mentioned putting girls' tights on him. But what about shoes? I have little workboot style shoes now,but he is quickly learning how to get those off, too. ideas?

Kellie in NE
08-19-2011, 09:01 PM
I am no help with the socks and shoes. My daughter will not wear them at all. She simple prefers to be barefoot-even outside. I really do not worry about it at home. I have done the tights in the winter to keep her feet warmer (although this makes her mad!) She liked wearing robeez (http://www.robeez.com/EN-US/default.htm?Lang=EN-US&PriceCat=2&RefID=&GOUS_robeez)for a while. We try to find a shoe that was more of a flexible sole but I was thinking about trying a work-boot type shoe this winter. I think we have donated more socks to the local grocery shops that they probably follow behind us and package them back up for us to buy again!

Last Sunday we were trying to get ready for Church-we looked everywhere for her sandals and could not find them anywhere. The sad thing was her shoes were sitting in our Church kitchen-we had left them there the week before and did not miss them all week!

I hope you find something that works for you!