PDA

View Full Version : Around the World with FIAR

KimK
05-06-2007, 03:45 AM
I thought I read a post recently about someone rowing around the world? I thought that would be a really neat idea for school in the fall. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about that or what you did? I looked on HSS and found the list of FIAR books sorted by geography, but I was looking for additional info.

Thanks,
Kim[/COLOR]

Heather W
05-06-2007, 07:58 AM
We're doing this in the fall! I'm not sure if it was me you read about, but this is my plan.

Someone was kind enough to post all the places I could go with the FIAR books. I'll try to paste that info in here for you.

Well I printed it, but I'm not sure I saved it. I'll get back to you! :)

I can tell you I purchased a few world geography items just to have as reference for our world travels. One is Galloping the Globe and the other is Trail Guide to World Geography. Both came recommended from the boards. We are also getting a huge world map puzzle to add to the fun.

Off to find the list for you!

Heather W
05-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Here's the link to the question I asked and Wende was kind enough to supply a wonderful list. There are a few other ideas as well.

Happy planning!

http://www.fiarhq.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=8029

MicheleNJ
05-06-2007, 01:21 PM
This is a great idea!

Kendra AU
05-07-2007, 04:53 AM
We actually "rowed around the world" in a week. It was a lot of fun for us. We tried recipes from each country as well for dinners. My parents liked it a lot because we kept sending them some too. That was with How To Make An Apple Pie ANd See The World. However, I think a slower approach would be longer lasting fun! ;)

Kendra

Anne in IN
07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I've done it twice now. I use vols. 1&2 and spend the first semester doing the various regions of the US and then go around the world second semester. I make a page with the story disk and a map that goes into a page protector in a notebook. I'd be glad to go into more detail if you're still interested
Anne

Chelsea
07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
After reading this, I thought it would be fun if we kept a passport. I'll still keep the schedule the same as I'd planned, but as we learn about different countries we can dedicate one day to each country and learn all about it, have a dinner, etc. Then we can stamp his passport. He has a real Guatemalan passport that I can color copy and make it look like the real deal.

Thanks for the inspiration! This will be fun!

MichelleL in Tn
07-06-2007, 06:32 PM
We got one of the mini passports from the scrapbook section of walmart,
We added stickers, stamps and pictures for each country we visited.
I also put a picture of each child in the front of the passport with the info and then used clear packing tape to cover it-so it looks real.

Something else we did -is we got a magic carpet (A mini blanket) we would get on this every day that we were going to a new country. I would show on the map where we were going. I would show what oceans we would have to cross, what mountains or deserts we would be flying over etc. Then we would take off. I would ask ds-"look below it is the ocean can you describe some animals you see?" Then of course he would want to turn the magic carpet into a magic sub and go under the water and tell me all about it.
We did this with deserts, mountains, glaciers etc. We even went to Antarctica-there is a really cool book for that one too. Let me know and I will get you the name of it.

Anyway i just did this to spark their imaginations. Once we arrived in the country we would look at pictures of that country and children of that country. One book I loved is called Children Like me.
http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Kids-Science-Experiments-Creation/dp/0849940346

I also have a daily devotional from around the world-you can also get prayer lists from Samaritans purse so you can pray for the people of that country while you are studying it.

You may also want to check out your library for a kids multicultural cookbook.
(I found one at my library and then ended up buying it.) It has very easy reipes from around the world-stuff kids would like. Some are as simple as just adding ice cream toppings that are native to that region.

HTH

Rebecca G
07-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Great idea!!

This looks like tons of fun for the fall with my two younger ones:clap:

Wende
07-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Here is a downloadable passport:
http://www.fiarcircle.com/downloads/lessons/passport.htm

We notebooked around the world using these free pages:
http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/TCR/1576904679_165-166.pdf