PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about: Finest Horse, Horses of Sweetbriar

Candace C
05-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi ladies,

I'm wanting to plan some things about horses and would love your input on these 2 books. I have not read either of them yet...but have the Vol. 3 book with lessons I am reading over.

Can you tell me if either of these books would be better for the younger crowd? My girls are 5yrs, 4yrs.

Is one a better book to learn about horses? This will be our first unit on horses and I'd like to do some fun things with horses in general.

Is one book longer? Or too long for the younger crowd?

Thanks for your help! I'd like to decide if I should do one or the other...or both if you guys think my girls could do both of them!

Lisalyn
05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Candace,

We have never rowed Finest Horse, but did Sweetbriar when my dd was 7. It was a really sad book for her because the horses were starving. Are your girls overly sensitive? OR is mine? :lol: I just remember it as a sad story...

debbie in ak
05-06-2007, 11:59 AM
The books are about the same length...but I would say The Finest Horse may be a bit more complex because there are several stories running through it.

Holly S
05-06-2007, 04:04 PM
We have both books and my DD loves The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar. My DD is not a very sensitive child, so she wasn't worried about the horses. I also think The Finest Horse is a little complex for her to follow right now, but it is such a neat book and your DC may enjoy it. I've read it to her once, and she sat for the story, but I'm not sure how much she understood.

Michele TX
05-06-2007, 04:08 PM
The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar" is a little sad but of the two, it was my dd's favorite. The other is a little more complex but still a very enjoyable story. But, as horse stories go, my dd's loved the "Wild Horses of Sweetbriar".

Candace C
05-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks so much for your input, ladies!

I think what I'm going to "plan" is to row Sweetbriar and go ahead and check out Finest Horse to read as a "go-along" about horses. Then in 1-2 years we will row that one. :)

Thanks again!

Mary FL
05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Candace, my dd loved Wild Horses. Yes, it is sad, but it does have a happy ending.

Finest Horse - we haven't rowed that yet but am looking forward to doing so in the future!

LindainOK
05-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm considering titles for our school continuation into the summer (my surgery and new child at home put us so faarrr behind) so I've enjoyed this conversation. But when I went online to reserve Finest Horse in Town, I discovered that it's just one more title our library system has discontinued to make room for "more popular" titles. :eyes:
Now, I have the pleasure of hunting/buying this book. Oh, I'm willing to do this---shopping for books! Anyone have a source suggestion? :clap:

Michele TX
05-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Linda,

Check the Purple House Press website. I found mine 1/2 price in the bargain basement.

Actually, I just checked and there is one in the bargain basement right now. :clap: I've ordered more than once from the bargain basement and although it says may have a little damage, I have yet to find it on the books I receive. They are very prompt on shipping too. :)

LindainOK
05-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks Michelle! I'll check this out.

While searching around for interesting tidbits to go along with The Finest Horse, I found this interesting writing help:
Your Story (http://www.bringinghistoryhome.org/downloads/yourstory.pdf) written by the Finest Horse's author.