PDA

View Full Version : 504

Jennifer in VA
09-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Does anyone have a 504 written for their child? Especially one that your local school district would probably say the child doesn't need one.

We've been told, at least in the 2008/09 school year, that our oldest wouldn't qualify for any help other than his speech issues. After that school year and two more, we've had him independently tested and he's got a lot of learning issues going on. He tests well because we've learned how to work through the tests and school to accommodate his issues (most easily put is auditory and visual processing issues, plus usual boy focusing issues).

Will also ask his tutor what I should what I need to ask from the county in order to have it written. Privately written 504s can cost a lot of $$$'s. Through the school, I believe they are basically free.

Lisalyn
09-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Jennifer,

My youngest would likely have a 504 due to his medical issues if he wasn't eligible for an IEP. It's my understanding that a 504 covers educational needs due to medical limitations when a child doesn't have learning problems that are covered by an IEP. I could certainly be confused. :lol:

My two youngest have IEPs due to Autism, but they are enrolled in PS. I doubt very seriously we could get any type of testing, assessments etc., in this area via PS as homeschoolers. I think private sources would be our only option and even then, they would likely refer us to the PS system. I would have to investigate that process via local homeschool support groups. The testing, assessments, and IEP process are all part of free, appropriate, public education, so no charge that way through the PS.

No help, I know.

Jennifer in VA
09-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Jennifer,

My youngest would likely have a 504 due to his medical issues if he wasn't eligible for an IEP. It's my understanding that a 504 covers educational needs due to medical limitations when a child doesn't have learning problems that are covered by an IEP. I could certainly be confused. :lol:

My two youngest have IEPs due to Autism, but they are enrolled in PS. I doubt very seriously we could get any type of testing, assessments etc., in this area via PS as homeschoolers. I think private sources would be our only option and even then, they would likely refer us to the PS system. I would have to investigate that process via local homeschool support groups. The testing, assessments, and IEP process are all part of free, appropriate, public education, so no charge that way through the PS.

No help, I know.

He does have an IEP for speech and an add on for O/T because of writing problems.

The issues I'm running into is that they believe he's just fine, because with a bit of help, he tests well. A friend of mine, whose son is in P.S. has some of the same general issues as Simon does. They have an IEP written for how to handle tests, reading help as necessary,the amount of breaks during tests, and such.

When I drop him off for tutoring today, I'll have ask about which would be better an IEP or a 504. I'm really looking for something that is a blanket, so to speak, that covers all subjects as opposed to one specific task (reading directions, reading a test, for spelling, for speech, etc.).

Hoping someone might have both for a child and could explain the difference for me.

Lisalyn
09-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Jennifer,
I looked it up and found that a 504 is used when a child has some form of disability, but is not affected in a way that qualifies him/her for special education (tests are normal or assessments are high functionality). I thought it was only for physical disability accommodations, but I learned today that it could be used for special accommodations for other disabilities. (like special seating during testing, for example, for a student with ADHD)

It sounds like you just need to request a new IEP meeting to reevaluate his IEP and request further evaluations/assessments. If you have already had further evals, that should help.

TonyaP
09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
We've not done public school, but my understanding is the same as has already been mentioned. I think a 504 is for a physical need while an IEP covers learning needs. Some children may need both. For instance, my oldest would need a 504 to handle his food allergies, but an IEP to handle his processing and ADHD issues. That's just what I've gleaned from reading the posts of food allergy families with kids in PS.