PDA

View Full Version : shoe dilemma?

AmyinWI
09-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Looking for suggesions for shoe types/ or where to buy shoes.

My guy has pretty small feet for a 4yo. (about a size 6)
He does not like to wear them,and will take them off the first chance he gets. I don't know if he doesnt' like them or just wants to chew on them :unsure: but I rarely put shoes on him unless he has school that day, and he often gets them off when he's on the bus. THe busdriver is not too keen on him throwing his shoes and socks all over the place. :lol:

Can I just say , I am so sick of shoe companies making velcro shoes ?!!!
I NEED shoes I can tie tightly so G wont' get them off.

Also, even if tied, he can wiggle them off, if they are not like a high top or a boot. (must be a tied boot, like a workboot)
Another issue is he is very clumsy, the workbook type are so clunky, he falls alot if they are too heavy/clumsy. He has a wobbly gait as it is. Oh, my boy is one difficult dude to buy shoes for! Not only that, but he sometimes kicks inadvertantly and clunky, thick shoes are painful!!! :eek:
And did I mention, he has flat feet? Nearly impossible to find a shoe with good arch support in a smaller size.

So I am looking for:
shoe in a smaller size ( 6 toddlers)
Hi top or boot that will stay on his feet!
HAS to have ties (no velcro)
Arch support due to flat feet
Not too clunky or heavy.

Any suggestions where to look for shoes?

Laura F
09-14-2011, 08:05 AM
I thought of Stride Rite, but you're right about the velcro. Is this (http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530400SR&productId=8-121361&skuId=***8********BB35747XW060&stockNumber=BB35747&showDefaultOption=true&subCatId=cat1530400SR&subCatTabId=&viewall=) too low? Or this (http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530400SR&productId=8-123021&skuId=***8*******BB36483F*M060&stockNumber=BB36483F&showDefaultOption=true&subCatId=cat1530400SR&subCatTabId=&viewall=) one?

Melissa Crabtree
09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
What about good old fashioned (but cuter) walking shoes? Stride Rite (outlet) was still selling those when my kids were in that size. They are a bit of a high top, should be lightweight and have great support.
Or like a Nike basic high top for toddlers? Do they make Chuck Taylor's (http://www.journeys.com/kidz/product.aspx?id=109781) in that size? Because they are cloth, they are really easy to cinch up and stay on. (I know this b/c on of my SS kids could be the subject of this post. :) )If the arch support is that critical you may just have to get orthotics. But honestly, if he spends most of his life barefoot, shoes without arch support are certainly no worse than that.

ETA: Just looked at Laura's links and the first shoe is kind of what I was thinking.

AmyinWI
09-14-2011, 09:44 PM
I think I found a solution (at least for now ). I happened to stop in at payless and saw these http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=&subCatId=&skuId=088453080&productId=69901&lotId=088453&category=&catdisplayName=Boys

The zip on the side and have elastic laces. I tried them on G ,and he had them off within minutes :unsure:
But what I am going to do is cut off the elastic "fake" laces and put real tie up laces in. Then I can tie them and double knot them so he hopefully will leave them on.

Kellie in NE
09-15-2011, 08:16 AM
:group: We have the same issues with shoes. I pray that you found a solution for your little guy.

Hollie in SC
09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
:group: Noah is 7 and loves to take shoes off. Thankfully, when he was riding the bus they had an assistant and she just put them back on when they arrived to where they were going. He could take them all off no matter the type. Sounds so much like G.

Noah had shoe inserts made via his PT to help with arch supports and he wore them for several years. You might want to ask his PT if he needs them (if he still sees one).

Noah has a wide foot and wears Stride Rites. :p at the price of them. Really annoying after 2 older boys. ;)

:group: