PDA

View Full Version : LA experts? Jane?

Denise, Guam
05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Would I be correct in saying that How to Make and Apple Pie is written in the second person point of view?
Any other FIAR titles that are also?
Thanks for your help!

Shannon F.
05-07-2007, 04:51 PM
What is the second person point of view? Am I just forgetting? I haven't taught English in a few years, but I thought it was just first, third, third omnicient. Someone clear this up for me. Questions like this really bug me until I know the answer.

Shannon F.
05-07-2007, 05:01 PM
According to Wikipedia, I know not the best source for grammatical expertise, there is a second person used very uncommonly. It is mainly used for "putting the reader into the story" so to speak, like it a choose your own adventure novel or the like.
Here is their example:

"Decide that you like college life. In your dorm you meet many nice people. Some are smarter than you. And some, you notice, are dumber than you. You will continue, unfortunately, to view the world in exactly these terms for the rest of your life."

I also remembered that third can be limited (thoughts and feelings of one character) or omnicient (thoughts and feelings of one character).

I'll see if I have that title and give you my opinion...off to look...ttfn

Shannon F.
05-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Yep, I'd say second person. Thanks for your question. I love being reminded of random writing facts! I know I'm a nerd!:roflol:

Denise, Guam
05-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I also remembered that third can be limited (thoughts and feelings of one character) or omnicient (thoughts and feelings of one character).

ahh, 3rd person limited and omnicient - that is vaguely familiar -

ok, i guess i am a little nerdy, too;

if it is omnicient would it be thoughts and feeling of MORE than one character then?

thanks for your input!

Shannon F.
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Oops, yes, I meant MORE than one character!
:)

Jeni
05-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Here is a link for everything you wanted to know and more about literary terms:

http://www.cas.usf.edu/lis/lis6585/class/litelem.html

Scroll to the bottom for a description of the different points of view.

Kendall in GA
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Would I be correct in saying that How to Make and Apple Pie is written in the second person point of view?

Yep! :yes:

Marie
05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Denise,

This is a lesson we just covered in Betsy Ross in Beyond! Try this exercise (from the Beyond manual):

Have your child write or tell you a short story in first person (I did this, we did that).

Have them write or tell the same story (same sentences) using second person.

Do the same thing for third person.

(I had my kids write about each of their baseball games using five sentences in first person, then second, then third, using the same five sentences)

OR:

Take a portion of the How to Make an Apple Pie story and have them rewrite or retell it in first and then third person.

My kids had fun with this!

Denise, Guam
05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the input on this!

Marie :hi: I like your idea from Beyond and we will definitely be doing that.

Robin in Colorado
05-08-2007, 11:04 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but here is what I used to teach my PS LA students:

When I am communicating, it is like a triangle. I am at the top, the speaker (or writer). Therefore, I am the 'first person'. When I write using "I", it is in first person. This is the most powerful way to write, or to deal with emotional issues when speaking. "I feel angry when..."

Example of first person: "I am going to town."

The person being addressed, the "second person" of the triangle, is "you". When I write or speak to you, using "you", it is second person. Second person isn't as powerful when writing, and dealing with emotional issues in second person usually isn't a good idea. "You make me so mad."

Example of second person: "You are riding in the car driven by a pet monkey."

The person being talked about is the third person of the triangle. When I write or speak using third person, I am usually talking about someone who isn't present. Third person is often used in writing, but we should be careful when using it in conversation (think 'gossip').

Example of third person: "Shelley discovered she was stuck in the tree; she had climbed too high and she was scared."