PDA

View Full Version : Helping aspergers kid with FIAR

Alice G
11-16-2011, 02:40 PM
I have been using FIAR on and off with DS1 (6) for a couple of years. He really loves the books and he will listen happily to even longer stories now. We have recently started a diagnosis for him and the paeditrician thinks he has aspergers traits. His reading is good and he doesn't have any problems understanding.

I've been thinking that I can use FIAR to help him a little bit. Eg. lots of the stories focus on relationships and are quite emotional. If I could latch onto this and encourage him to see the emotions and feelings in the stories, it could help him in real life. Also, doing simple narrations on the stories could help him become a bit more creative as time goes by.

However these are obviously the things he struggles with!! I wondered if anyone else has any tips. I'll give some egs. of where he struggles. This week we have been rowing "The Very Last First Time". When I asked him what he enjoys doing with me he just said "going into town". He wouldn't really expand unless I gave him lots of ideas, which kind of defeats the point. When I asked him what his favourite page is he said "the same as Sammy" (his brother). Eventually he chose a different page, where she goes down into the hole, but then said it was because there was a snowman in the background. I knew this wasn't really why it was his favourite page as it is the most exciting bit!

Has anyone successful used FIAR with a kid on the spectrum?

Thanks for your help
Alice :)

Hollie in SC
11-16-2011, 03:00 PM
:hi: Welcome. There are several moms here with children who have been diagnosed with Asperger's or show signs of it. I'm sure they'll be along soon to chime in, but I wanted to say hello.

Alice G
11-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks Hollie. I sometimes lurk on here but haven't posted much. It seems such a friendly board :)

CINDY LB OH
11-16-2011, 03:16 PM
My ds13 has Aspergers and expressive language skills are tough for him too.

He has a very hard time narrating "on the spot" and rarely gives a quick answer to one of my questions. Then, at other times he will have an extraordinary insight that just makes me go "wow!" But these are usually never in response to a question, it's usually on his own after he's thought about things for a while, and how he wants to say it.

I don't have any tips for you other than to tell you that FIAR/Beyond has been extremely helpful for my ds in that we do tons of reading and listening and discussing. So even if he has a hard time giving an answer, I give my insights and we have lots of discussions.

It's all been very helpful in regards to making connections as well. He remembers things through story very well, so if we read a non-fiction go along he has something to hang the info on.

It does take time, but I think you'll be pleasently surprised at how well your ds will respond to FIAR. Lots of talking, lots of sharing, lots of encouraging.

Angela in MT
11-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I am using FIAR for my oldest ds, who is almost 6 ad has aspergers. I don't really have any advice other than to say that my ds is most definitely at all times picking up WAY more than I realize in the moment. He very often comments on details or makes great connections after the fact.

HTH!

Sue C
11-22-2011, 04:45 PM
I am using FIAR with my 9 year old daughter who has Aspergers. She is not ready for BYFIAR. I feel she has learned so much about emotions etc. just by us discussing them. When I say us I guess I should say me. :D Sometimes she is more interactive then other times but I point things out and discuss it and hope it sticks. FIAR has been a HUGE blessing for us with her! You will love it.