PDA

View Full Version : Animal classification board?

Amee
05-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Does anyone have the link to instructions and pictures of that animal classification project board? I think it had pockets made from page protectors, and you use it to sort animal cards. I finally have time to make it and I can't find the site!

Heather W
05-08-2007, 07:10 PM
You can check it out on my blog.

http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

You'll have to scroll on down to see pics of our school room and there's one there of the board. It's just as you described.

Amee
05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you Heather! I love your school room, too--it looks like a fun place. :)

Jennifer in TX
05-09-2007, 01:54 PM
That's the classification board I want!!! Can I ask some nerdy questions? Did you trim down the page protectors? How did you attach the page protectors to the paper? Are they fairly sturdy? My pile of cards is getting quite big, and I think they may become very heavy in short order.

How/when do you use your board?

Thanks
Jennifer

Heather W
05-09-2007, 02:23 PM
That's the classification board I want!!! Can I ask some nerdy questions? Did you trim down the page protectors? How did you attach the page protectors to the paper? Are they fairly sturdy? My pile of cards is getting quite big, and I think they may become very heavy in short order.

How/when do you use your board?

Thanks
Jennifer
I did trim down the page protectors- mostly cutting off the three holes area. I attached them with photo splits by Creative Memories. I have them and they are strong. They're little double sided tape squares.

Fairly sturdy, but good call on the pile getting too heavy for the pockets. I can see that coming very easily.

I use the board occasionally when we come across a new animal we might add it to the board. I like to take the cards out and have the kids resort them. I have kept it out a lot, but today I folded it and put it in a snug spot where we can take it out as needed. I wanted to make room for a NY state map for a while.

You could easily make pockets using manila folders that would be stronger but they would not be see through. I don't think seeing through the pockets is necessary though and eventually I may change that format in ours.

I hope I answered everything.

Jennifer in TX
05-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I finally made our animal classification board and we all love, love, love it!! :clap:

I made the pockets out of cut-down manilla folders. They are very strong and sturdy. I found a very large 3 sided folding cardboard presentation board at Hobby Lobby. The kids absolutely loved using it yesterday. Why, oh why, didn't I do this sooner?????

I wish the pockets were see-through, but I'm willing to give on that if the pockets last forever as is. If I knew how to post a picture, I would. Our board is just beautiful.

Kristina
05-30-2007, 01:42 AM
Such great ideas! I'm so glad the original poster asked this question. I never would have thought to make a board like this! I wonder if a clearn shoe bag would work?? I have one on the back of our school room door and it is currently empty at the bottom.

Heather W. - I spent some time reading your blog. Loved it. I grew up in Central NY and am now in TN. I got a chuckle at your description of the weather. I need to remember the gray days when I get homesick!

Kristina