PDA

View Full Version : Aspie Pity Party

shonda in ca
11-19-2011, 10:30 AM
So every year my kids are in our group's fall musical. My boys are usually stage crew. Yesterday a mom whom I don't know and isn't really in our group but heard about how awesome our shows are :lol: told me my aspie 14 yo was the "rudest boy she had ever seen." Ya. That made me feel GREAT.

She wanted to tell me that he redeemed himself from the first day she met him by being extra helpful and nice yesterday.

I KNOW I should be rejoicing over the fact that he was extra helpful and nice and made up for being rude earlier in the week, but it stings.

I told her that autism can look very rude and I'm sorry he was rude to her. Then of course she felt bad because she didn't know. Yup, that always happens, too. I go around educating the public making them feel bad(ly) (which is it?) for judging my kid (and me, often times.) It's what I do. :eyes:

Pass the chocolate, please. :(

Lisalyn
11-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Here, have a Hershey dark chocolate bar left over from Halloween. :lol:

I understand. All of it. I just spent an hour with my Aspie's teacher this week discussing this very subject. I'm so thankful that he has teachers who really love him for who he is, but he still has to work on the way his words affect others. :unsure:

Rachel Jane
11-19-2011, 11:30 AM
:group:

TonyaP
11-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Well, at least your child has a reason for being rude- I wonder what her excuse was? :eek: But yeah, I'm dealing with a lot of issues right now.

DS takes a medicine which has made him gain about 40 lbs. in a few months, maybe more. Plus, it makes him lethargic. So... I have this kid who looks like he lives on Twinkies, has to be catered to or loses his temper and won't engage in anything physical- makes me look like the poster mom for overindulgence. :unsure:

I need to be focussed on helping him through his issues not worrying about mine. That your boy is able to work in a group setting like that- wow, that gives me some hope that we will continue to get through this and grow and improve. :group:

Alice G
11-19-2011, 01:17 PM
My DS just had a massive meltdown in the grocery store today in front of my trolley so I had to stop in the middle of the aisle and block everyone's way. My DH overheard someone say "I my day he would have got a big slap on his ****." :angry: Yeah, like that would solve everything. I didn't hear the comment because I was zoned out dealing with DS.

shonda in ca
11-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, at least your child has a reason for being rude- I wonder what her excuse was? :eek:

:lol: Thank you, Tonya! I needed that!! :D

I really need to focus on the positive gains he has made-they really are amazing! :yes: He just doens't make a very good first impression, usually. :unsure:

Thanks all for your support this morning. :hcry:

Now, it's on with the show! :)

Hollie in SC
11-19-2011, 02:58 PM
:group: :group: