View Full Version : Interactive Metronome

11-23-2011, 11:04 AM
If you have any experience using this type of therapy for occupational therapy, please let me know if the results were worth the $$$.
My son, who is in his second year at a school for dyslexia, just had an OT eval and they are recommending the Interactive Metronome. I haven't found any scientific substantial studies verifying measurable improvementts in fine motor skills with its use.
The cost is huge and our insurance will not coever it, so I'm researching before committing to the program.
I don't doubt that it might help, but I think I could replicate some of it at home with a metrinome and activities or with the dance mat activities that are done with a wii or playstation.
Any thoughts or experiences?

11-23-2011, 11:33 AM
I would question, too. I watched the demo video on their website. You have to wonder which is the cause and which is the symptom. Treating a symptom does not cure the cause.

While there are many ways that one could incorporate rhythm exercises into one's activities, this program would provide very precise feedback that non-computerized methods would not.

If you want to explore less-intensive/less expensive options, I could suggest two:

1. Square dance lessons. While dance of all types will encourage rhythm, square dancing in particular requires constant attention to verbal cues, timing in relation to the other dancers, and keeping on beat with the music. It also is a form of dance that boys might be more receptive to than some other forms. Cowboy boots and western shirts have MUCH more appeal than visions of pink tutus! Dh and I have square danced for many years; this year both my boys are taking lessons, and both are enjoying it very much, despite being dragged there in the beginning.

2: Bal-a-Vis-X (http://bal-a-vis-x.com/index.htm) This program uses a metronome for rhythm, and the exercises are fun things like juggling balls between people. It requires some fairly simple equipment which I was able to build at home. It should be within the abilities of an experienced weekend woodworker. I was able to get the manual through inter-library loan before buying it, and it came from a library in the New England area. My boys had fun with most of these exercises, but our follow through is poorly lacking :blush: and I can't attest to any long-term success.

11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your input. I had never heard of Bal-A-Vis-X. I bet those would help my son. Alos, the idea of square dancing. I need to look into that also.

11-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Also, the idea of square dancing. I need to look into that also.

Go here (http://www.dosado.com/clubsorgs/default.htm#sdclubs), and click on your state to find clubs. Contact your local club to ask about lessons. Around here they start in the fall and continue all winter. Often there are local community dances (may be called "ABC dances") that teach the very basic moves for new dancers. These may be at any time of year. Your local club or state organization should have info on these also.

11-26-2011, 08:14 AM
I had not heard of this particular therapy, so I did a little looking and found this ADD forum discussion. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60674)

My ds13 has dyslexia and we've been using Dianne Crafts brain integration therapy and her phonics. Her therapy exercises include some exercises that
help improve timing. I do know my ds is more coordinated now than he was before.

We are also using Audiblox which has timing exercises as well.

So I'm guessing timing exercises are helpful, but do you need an expensive program to do it? I don't know. I'm thinking like Wendy, that there may be many different things you can do yourselves without putting out the big money. But, the expertise of an OT and a very intensive program my be extremely beneficial for your ds.

I know for us, if we had to pay full price out of pocket, then that would be the determining factor right there.

Maybe the OT will let you observe some sessions in order to decide?

11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
All your info is also very helpful. The ADD forum had lots of info for doing the IM at home.
The therapist who did the eval, through the school, doesn't want me there which makes me uncomfotable. Other speech therapists and physical therapists that we have dealt with wanted me to be there for the initial eval and then prepared home exercises for us to work on.
I want a home exercise program to help with fine motor control. I'm not finding much info on IM specifically for fine motor control.
I'll look into the other things you mentioned.
Thanks so much for all your info.

11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Are you close to Youngstown, OH? We were there this weekend for dh's highschool reunion. I just saw you are in NE ohio.