PDA

View Full Version : lapbooking

Rachel P
05-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Hello,
I have just started FIAR and so far we LOVE it! I am enjoying trying to do the lapbook thing, but I was wondering how do YOU do it? Do you let the kids put the whole thing together? Do you work on it a little each day as you learn? Do you put it all together at the end of the week? Do you pre-plan it all out before monday morning how it will look when it's finished? I see lots of great ideas that look so neat when they are done. Just wondering what someone else does.

Thanks!
Rachel P

JavaJackie
05-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the boards Rachel P!:hi: So glad you are here!

Jen in SC
05-09-2007, 09:19 AM
We've been doing FIAR for a while and only started doing scrapbooks with them recently. We have not done a lapbook yet. We make the various things to go in the scrapbooks each day and assemble them on Friday. If you go to my blog you can see what I am talking about. www.homeschoolblogger.com/momofgirls Mine are VERY simple and basic. Also, we did FIAR for a few years just fine without doing this, but my girls enjoy it even more now. But don't feel like you have to do lapbooking, or at least not every week. :)

Lisa Schafer
05-09-2007, 09:44 AM
When I started lapbooking, the idea was for my kids to have a way to do a couple of things:

Have a way to review their studies over and over again
Have a way to show off their work to family
Have a creative way to put together what they had learned and for them to learn some presentation skills with that creativity

And for me:

Record keeping

I've never wanted the lapbooks to be more work for me :no: ...but simply something for my kinisthetic learners to love, and just an option for my not-so-artsy-craftsy-kids to consider. (The older boy loved them when he was 8yo...not so much at 10yo. My dd is now 12yo, and she still loves them! :yes: ) So I don't really pre-plan them at all.

Our FIAR projects start out with the minit-books, not with the finished lapbook in mind. So, we make a vocabulary minit book on L.A. day, perhaps a Q/A book on Science day, or whatever. Then, we put those minit projects in the kids' crate until we're done with the other minit-books for that unit. If we have enough to put into a file folder and call it a lapbook, cool! :thumb: We'll make a cover for it and paste them all in on the last day of our unit.

But, if we only have a couple of minit's, that's okay...they still have the minit project as a way of reviewing whatever the information is inside it. It then goes into our lapbook storage crate with the title of the unit we used it for, on the back.

Now, we're putting together a lapbook for Homer Price right now using the fold-n-learns available here. Since I already know that's going to be a large project (two file folders worth), we're placing our minit projects in the lapbook folder as we go.

This is just what we do right now. Our lapbooking has evolved and de-evolved over the years, depending on our schedules. But right now...

:hi:

annmarieseiler
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I pre plan what activities we will do from the book at the beginning of the week. Then each day we read the book and do the activities. I no longer plan what mini book we will use or anything like that but I did in the beginning. After we complete each mini book I slip it into the folder that will become the base of the lapbook and then store it in a gallon zip top bag. We do this for three weeks. On the forth week we pull them all back out, finish up anything we didn't get to, do more activities if there was something else we were interested in doing and then assemble them all. This is our review time.