PDA

View Full Version : Question for moms of hearing impaired kids...

Tiffany
11-26-2011, 03:04 PM
My oldest son just turned 10 this week. He has a bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. He currently is getting speech therapy once a week and we work on his speech exercises at home on school days. His therapist just told me that in a month, she wants to stop seeing him weekly and instead just check in with him every 3 months or so. She feels like he has progressed as far as he is going to progress, is my understanding. Before we started homeschooling 1 1/2 years ago, he was getting therapy at school 3x/week. So once a week is already way less than what he had been getting. It is not sitting well with me. I think he needs to remain in speech therapy. Maybe I need to find a new therapist. However, we go to a practice where two of my children receive speech, occupational, and physical therapy. We'll still be going to that practice, and my other child sees her. How long did your kids get speech therapy? At what point do they stop? I am just looking for input from other parents. Thanks so much!