PDA

View Full Version : Good math program for dyslexics?

ShelleyW
12-01-2011, 02:39 PM
My 9 yo dd is dyslexic and I suspect my son may be too. Up until this year, she has done well in math and now that she is into multiple digit multiplication, she has hit a wall. We have been using Math-U-See with great success until this year. Any recommendations for a math program that works for dyslexic kids?

Amy Joy
12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
We are using math u see for our dd with a bit of dyslexia and other things. We've gone slowly and it's working, just taking extra time.

CINDY LB OH
12-03-2011, 07:43 AM
I don't know if there is any one program that is a good fit for students with dyslexia. I think it's more of what you do with the program, as in how you adapt it to your needs, that is the key.

My ds13 has dyslexia along with a host of other learning issues, and it has been mostly meeting his needs where he's at, and adapting, no matter what curriculum was being used at the time.

We currently use Math Mammoth, with some Miquon and living math thrown in. With the Math Mammoth I like that I can just print off only what I need, and can easily add to it if he needs more practice.

The biggest help has been adapting to his needs by using some tips I learned from Dianne Craft... you lots of color, pictures, funny stories, and a large white board. Specifically for mult digit multiplication she has suggestions in number 4 of her math tutoring page. (http://www.diannecraft.org/tutor4.htm#4)Scroll down to where is says math processes and she talks about putting the numbers in different colors.

Someone also posted a while back about using the lattice method for higher multiplication. (http://www.basic-mathematics.com/lattice-method-for-multiplication.html) I will be trying this one with my ds13 when he gets there, as I think it will be much easier for him to master and visual aspects of it will be easier to "see". Then eventually we may move on to the traditional way.

When we do word problems, because reading is even more difficult for him than math, we do them together with a dry erase board. Sometimes I have him work the problems out, sometimes I allow him to simply use a calculator.
I'm pretty sure his calculator skills will serve him better later in life, so I want to make sure that he's proficient in determining what processes to use and when, and can punch them in correctly.

If your dd has been successful with Math-U-See, then just doing a little adapting may be all she needs, and you can continue with the same program.

Cate
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
My son and I are dyslexic. First of all, if your child does not have all of the basic math facts down cold, I would recommend using Xtra Math online for free. It teaches addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and the students come out knowing them really, really well. Then you can move on. (This is assuming your child does not know them since many dyslexics really struggle there.)

ShelleyW
12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually spoke to Dianne Craft and she gave me some really great ideas that I think will really help. I have loved MUS for all my kids but dd has been struggling with it so I thought maybe a different approach might help her see it differently. I will check out Xtra Math and see how that goes. She definitely needs work on her times tables.