View Full Version : DS learning Q's

Angela in MT
12-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Another question about teaching my daughter with Dds: I have seen mentioned in various places programs like Love and Learning, BrillKids, (perhaps you know others?) that are either geared towards kids with special needs or supposedly work well for them? Has anyone ever tried something like these programs? What were your results? How did you know your child was ready for them?

Anya has been home from EE for 6 months, and we are trying to decide how/what to use to start schooling her. She is 5 this week, but functions at a much lower level - though she has made amazing progress since we have been home. In fact we are researching schooling options because she seems so open and willing and able to learn.

She is receiving speech and OT privately. And will be attending the special ed preschool at our district 2x a week for 2 hours. We are completely overwhelmed and ignorant so any all advice is welcome! Just bare in mind our situation is a little unique ;)

Angela in MT
12-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Just to clarify, she will be joining in with the rest of the kids as we do FIAR, but she doesn't understand most of it yet - though she loves to read...:clap:

Hollie in SC
12-12-2011, 08:54 AM

I have looked at L&L but haven't tried it.

The Down Sydrome Ed group has come up with a reading program and you can buy it or print it out (free) online. It is a work in progress. http://www.seeandlearn.org/en/gb/ We have worked with the very first set and I need to get it out again. They are working towards a math one as well.

Woodbine House (http://woodbinehouse.com/) has a lot of books out there. You might want to look at their site. Our library carries several of them and that might be an option for you.

As for preschool, just make sure you are both happy. :) Our youngest was in a special needs charter preschool for 5 years. There are few like it (if any) in the country and it was an amazing experience that we are very thankful for. He aged out when he turned 7 and attended his last day at the end of July.

After much prayer (understatement ;)) we enrolled him at our local elem. school. Overall we have had a very good experience. Sweet Christian teachers and therapists. Good teacher/student ratios. Good support from the principal. However, it is still public school and there are limitations, budgets, red tape, etc. It is just a government mindset. Lots of paperwork. :wornout:

:group: Let us know how it goes.

Angela in MT
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all that information! There is some good stuff on those links.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, any and ALL info is so appreciated!

We are totally overwhelmed as we are trying to figure out how to proceed with dd. Her situation is so complicated (attachment stuff, ds, severe delays of several kinds, years of neglect), plus we live in a pretty rural place so people none of the people working with us really know what to say/do as they have never seen anything like her before!

We are certainly prepared to send her to school if that is what is best for her, but the school, being a large gov institution, seems to be having a little trouble thinking outside the box - LOL! The SpEd lady just plain blurted out, "we've never seen anything like this!"

So I am just investigating. Looking at things in the box and outside of it, trying to figure out what I think is going to be best for her over the long haul. Trying to decide what road will serve her best 20 years from now.

The decision making part is proving to be much more difficult than I ever imagined it would be!

<deep breath>

Hollie in SC
12-12-2011, 03:05 PM
:group: Praying for you, Angela. :group:

12-12-2011, 09:39 PM
These are some of the things I use with Aaron, who is 9 and also has apraxia so is non verbal. We use the see and learn site that Hollie mentioned. They have lots of informative articles and a language/reading program that you can purchase or download for free. The steps are clearly described so it's easy to follow and implement. Aaron really enjoys using the flashcards and story books.

This is the main site for the above program and they have lots of useful information about how kids with DS learn and develop.

We've used this site as well. You will need to register on the site, but it's free. They have lots of printables and ideas for teaching language/math etc.

When I first started doing school with him, we spent lots of time just learning how to attend to an activity, follow directions, listen, take turns etc. Basically the prelearning behaviors that he needed in order to really start learning. Then we worked on shapes/colors/ABC's/ learning sign language. He is doing well now and enjoys learning (most days :) this year I've put together my own lessons incorporating lots of the B4 books and we are using the Numicon math and working on site word reading. Just to give an idea of where we started and where we are.

Prayers as you sort out whats best for you all.

Leslie Nelsen
12-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Hugs and prayers to you friend as you sort all of this out. :group: :group:

Wish we were all closer and could just do this together. So glad we can talk though and share!

I've used Love and Learning some with Eliana - but not consistently enough to give you specific feedback on how it has worked for her. Would love to talk more and just encourage each other on this journey though!