PDA

View Full Version : ? about aba/where to find help for behavior issues

Tiffany
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Does anyone know if there are any kind of therapists who will come to your home to work with behavior issues? And if so what are they called and how do you find them? We are already going to OT but we need more. My two boys (10 and 6) recently went through neuropsychological testing. We have some helpful information but not enough, yet. So we press on. We are waiting for results from their genetic testing. In the meantime, we've got two boys with major behavior issues. Some we're making progress on and some that we aren't. I am not sure I can keep homeschooling and am torn about this- my oldest did not do well in school and my youngest ds has never been. My youngest daughter starts kindergarten next year and we are likely moving, so I need to figure out what is best for her too (not sure being at home with both boys with issues is the best thing for her). I really want someone who could come to my home and observe/help guide me in what to do and work with them on their behavior issues. We found out both boys have Nonverbal Learning Disability which is similar to asperger's but not. I think my 6 year old would really benefit from ABA therapy. But do you know if aba therapist work with kids that aren't on the spectrum but still have a lot of the behaviors?? It's possible they would be diagnosed on the spectrum by a psychologist, and we still may go through another evaluation to get another opinion. Are there behavior therapists? How do you find someone who could come to your home?? Any advice from all you wonderful mamas? (I hope that made sense). Thank you. <3

Heather in Houston
02-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Thank you for posting this. I just did a little poking and think that maybe what my 15 year old has. What do you do in your home to help your sons? What startigies work for them? How do you educate them or rather what materials do you choose?

Jenene
02-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I can tell you my story and see if anything I know and have done may help you...

My 11 year old has some spectrum disorder aspergers...most likely . He sees a behavioralist and we have seen many great things from that therapy. In office visits and group therapy. Parents given many tools to practice at home... love this therapy.
He also has a speech therapist that used the out of sync child approach ( that is the name of a book and therapy concept) and that seems to be working too. Again, that is an office visit. But she really focuses for the first month on the parent and training us to work at home and then she coaches us in the office. He also takes sign language class and guitar... both that work a different part of his brain. Therapy comes in many different forms.

Now, my oldest daughter 10, has autism and she is doing the same speech therapy system as my son. I use FIAR with her, touch math and try not to overload her. She took ABA therapy out of our house for 2 years. But they mainly come in and work with your child and you are not involved for the two hours.(that was our system atleast) It was a nice break. There is a therapy called RDI that you might want to check out... it is focused on parent training and they come to your house. You can check out a RDI book at amazon or your library to see all the details of that. It is very much parent training program. We did it for a short time, but couldn't afford it, insurance did not pay for it.

my youngest has down syndrome and she uses a bfiar, .... she is just a joy, but I thought I would mention her... all to say... it is tough homeschooling kids with special needs, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I know my kids would be so stressed out in the public school. But there are many different ways to educate our kiddos, each person makes the choices best for their family. Hugs to you and I hope my jabbering helped some how

Hollie in SC
02-12-2012, 08:54 AM
:group: Hi, Tiffany. If I remember, you live in my area. I don't know who (physicians) you are working with. If you are looking into genetic issues, I'd recommend speaking with Greenwood Genetics. They have an office near Greenville Memorial Hospital and others locations. We use them with Noah and they have been great to help us manage Noah's care. They look at the big picture and help us find the right folks for the details. If you are already working with them, I'm really not sure. :unsure:

:group:

Tiffany
02-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Hollie,
Thank you. Yes, I live in your area. Our genetics testing was done through Greenwood Genetics but we didn't meet with them, our pediatrician gave us the lab slip and the labs were sent to Greenwood Genetics. THen they sent a report back to the pediatrician. We didn't get any detailed report, just that my youngest tested normal for the suspected syndrome and all other childhood syndromes. I have to call about my oldest.
We had neuropsych evals for both boys in December. They've been on the waiting list for developmental peds since last summer and it will be months still before they get in, although I don't even know if they need to get in now that we did the neuropsych testing. She told us that my boys do not have autism. I really think my youngest is on the spectrum but my oldest is so complex I don't know. He definitely shows some signs, but mixed in with so many other issues it's hard to pinpoint and know how to help.
THank you for your response. :)

Tiffany
02-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi Jenene,
Thank you for sharing what has worked with you. Yes it totally helps! I have never heard of the therapy you described but I will look into it. It is encouraging to hear from another homeschooling mom with more than one special needs kiddo. I know my children can't cope with school but right now I have two growing boys with increasingly aggressive behavior at home along with my 4 yo dd and it needs to change. Unfortunately, I also know the schools can't handle that either so I really don't know what to do.

Hollie in SC
02-12-2012, 10:47 AM
If you end up doing more with Greenwood Genetics as patients, you might want to see if Dr. Rogers is available. He and his assistant have been beyond wonderful to us.

Developmental Peds. is so very hard to wait for. Once you get in, they are :thumb: I have several friends who have taken their kids there and they are very thorough and seem to be very helpful in initiating therapies and such. I seem to recall that one friend did several early screening talks pre-appointment with some of the staff. Hopefully you will be able to get in soon.:group:

Continued prayers!

Tiffany
02-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi Heather!
Thanks for responding. Do you mean the nonverbal learning disability is what you think your son may have? What is going on with your ds?
Okay, I will share what I am doing. I'm kind of discouraged right now as to whether anything is working but maybe there is something you can use (bearing in mind my boys are younger so not all will be applicable).
Both of my boys go to OT and speech first of all. I try to implement sensory diet into our days (we have a basket of "fidget" objects, we listen to soothing music, we have a therapy swing, do brushing and joint compressions, some massage, therapy putty, playdough and other hands-on sensory activities, heavy lifting, quiet places, jumping and crashing onto pillows, outside play, using headphones for auditory sensory issues, etc.).
We have a daily routine posted that I have tweaked to get to one that works well for us. My kids need a lot of structure and without it things fall apart fast. Right now the schedule is posted on the refrigerator for the whole day.
Each boy has a "Flight Plan Binder", adapted from Fly Lady. There are pictures of airplanes and helicopters on the front with the words "My Flight Plan Binder... helping me fly through my days". Inside I have a zipper pouch with a dry erase marker, and I put most everything in page protectors so they can check off right on the sheet and then it can be reused. The first section is Routines. They have a Morning Routine page with all the things they need to do on the side (breakfast, meds, grooming and chores, exercises and swing) and the days of the week across the top. They put an x in the box as they complete. They earn 20 minutes of wii time before school if they have completed it.
For school I started using the workbox system in January. My 10yo has all 12 boxes, some are fun, some are social/emotional skills. My 6 yo had 12 but it was too overwhelming for him, even with fun boxes. I switched to 6 and we are working on that. My 6yo is still doing Before FIAR because that's just where he is at. We also use Horizons math, Handwriting w/o Tears, he has daily speech hw, phonics, and we play a game for the 6th box. It can be educational or otherwise but honestly most if not all games are educational in some way for him at the age he is and it also teaches a lot of social skills that he needs help with.
So, the next page in their binder is a workbox schedule for the week. They check off each box as they complete it. If they complete their school work they can play outside with their neighborhood friends after school and if not they can't that day or they have to work on it before they can go out. It's a good incentive to finish if your brother is outside playing and you are still finishing your work.
After school they can watch a tv show/video and then 30 minutes of quiet time. I would like to work up to more. :) But for now this is what they can handle.
Then we have an inside playtime (legos, blocks, cars, art, etc.)
Then outside playtime (when neighborhood kids get home)
Then downstairs cleanup time. Then 45 minutes of free time with screen privileges. Then dinner and our evening routine.
So that is our day. They have a copy of the schedule in their binders. My oldest has a reward chart listing 1.) Morning Routine 2.) School 3.) Afternoon Routine. He can earn allowance by completing each of his responsibilities. I deduct 25 cents for each incompleted box. We are really working hard on accountability for choices and incentives for self-control and good behavior.
The next chart for my oldest is a Target Behavior checklist. We are working on no aggressive behavior. So, it has the days of the week listed and he gets a sticker/star for each morning, afternoon, evening he goes through and controls himself with no aggressive behavior. He can earn rewards like renting a wii game, going out to breakfast or lunch, work toward a new lego set, etc. for appropriate behavior. Consequences are no screen time that day, and if the behavior continues then no screen time until he goes 24 hours without an incident (leaving it up to him to earn it back). For my youngest the Target Behavior is no tantrums. That page is in his binder.
The other tab is labeled Helpful Things. I have a list of Free Time ideas in it, they have a Wish List of things they would like, a list of Places I Want to Go, a savings account log of their money, list of house rules, etc. Also a monthly calendar section. I will add more things as they are older and able to use it more. Trying to shift responsibility from me overseeing everything to them taking responsibility and learning to use a binder (as they would be expected to in school, especially my oldest).
We are also seeing a counselor for my ds 10. She is helping him learn strategies to cope with his anger, and helping him to deal with accepting his chronic illnesses and caring for himself. We just started the counseling. My 10yo has been on meds for a year now. We are adjusting them and having some trouble with that right now, which is why the increase in aggression and strange behavior I believe. We are working with a psychiatrist that I really like, but honestly it is still hard for me to do the medication although I felt like he needed it. My youngest just started on meds this week. To help decrease impulsivity and be able to focus more.
I have to break everything down into steps for them. I try to vary strategies I use. Honestly I am still learning about the nonverbal learning disability. My oldest has a long list of dx and I still don't know if they are right so I just pull from everything I can get my hands on to try things that work.
This is what we have in place now. I have no idea if it will help you or not but maybe there will be something that will help someone who reads it. :)
Hugs and prayers for all of us trying to help our children have a good life.