PDA

View Full Version : Letter reversals

ShelleyW
01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
What have you done that has worked to stop letter reversals? My ds is struggling mightily with b/d mostly. It is really hindering his reading progress!

Thanks!

Ginger Lynn
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
What we did was cut large letter pieces out of cereal boxes, (the pieces like they sale at Handwriting w/out Tears) and he would put the pieces together to form the letters and then we would race match box cars over them. He had the letters down within two days of play like this.

CINDY LB OH
01-18-2012, 07:02 PM
My ds13 still makes reversals, mainly b/d, though he has been known to flip n/u and even f/t, but not as much any more.

Even today, b/d was giving him a hard time. Some days are better than others. We have Dianne Craft's sound/letter cards and I refer him to those whenever he makes a mistake. And many times he will automatically look before even saying the word to make sure which is which. We also use the Audiblox program.

I've noticed that when ds13 is tired, the reversals are much worse though so I make our schedule so that he has a rest period right before his reading lesson. We usually do a read aloud right before. One thing I keep meaning to do is to find some colored overlays to see if that will help. It helps for some people. I have yet to get to an office supply store to find some though.

Sorry I don't have any help really. Just thought I'd let you know, I understand the struggle.

Ginger Lynn
01-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I just remembered that I have this saved into my favorites. I haven't read it but wanted to pass it on while I was thinking about it. HTH

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/how-to-solve-b-d-reversal-problems/?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=All%20About%20Reading%20Pre-1&utm_content=Issue+8%3A+B-D+Reversal+Problems

AmyinWI
01-19-2012, 12:37 AM
duplicate

AmyinWI
01-19-2012, 12:40 AM
the thing I use with my kids is "bed". I write out "bed" pretty large, in bright colored markers on a notecard. the "b" is one color,and that is the head of the bed, with a pillow on top. The "d" is the foot of the bed. Yes, I draw it out with a little pillow and stick figure laying on it. :lol: I read about this trick somewhere, not sure where though.

I tape the card inside my 8yo's pencil box and whenever she gets confused, she refers to it. She still is struggling with reversing b's and d's. I really don't know what the answer is, but the notecard has helped a little.

Just remembered one more visual cue we do, haven't used it for awhile though. Have the child hold up the left hand forming a "b" , kind of like sign language, then the right hand make a "d". then remind them of the "bed" spelling,sounding it out and holding each hand up as they sound it out. That is another thing that we've found helpful.:)

ShelleyW
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Thank you ladies, lots of great ideas for me to try.

Ginger, I loved your idea (hadn't read the others yet) so we tried it this morning. DS said, "Is this really for school? This is fun Mom." :lol: I am going to try this for at least 2 weeks everyday and see if it helps. I am also going to try to incorporate the others.