PDA

View Full Version : So how did Paul Revere get his horse across the harbor?

Jen in SC
05-10-2007, 08:13 PM
That's what Rachel wants to know! ;) In the book, he rows across the harbor and starts his ride after seeing the lanterns. We think maybe it was a borrowed horse, or he got it across earlier that day, or...???

She's a thinker and I had no idea what to tell her. Any ideas? :D

Angela Paige
05-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Paul Revere actually gave the order to put the two lanterns into the steeple to send the message to a group of men waiting on the Charleston shore. Then he raced home to grab his coat and hat (leaving behind the cloth to muffle the oars and his spurs) and met up with friends. At the dock, Paul realized his mistakes and asked a lady in a nearby house to borrow some cloth to muffle the oars ... and she gave him the flannel petticoat she was wearing. :eek: Fortunately, his dog had followed Paul, so he sent the dog home with a note to send the spurs .. a few minutes later the dog returned with the spurs tied around his neck. :lol: Paul and his pals rowed past the British boats unnoticed. Once Paul made it to the other side, his friends had a horse waiting for him and he immediately took off for his ride.

I had read in several places that Longfellow doesn't give a truly accurate account of the ride ... stirring, but not completely historical. I got my information from And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? by Jean Fritz. I love her historical picture books for children.

HTH!
Paige

Kendra AU
05-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Oo, we learn something new every day! Paul Revere has always been a favorite history chap in this house. I knew he'd borrowed the horse, but had no idea about the spurs. lol All though I must be 100% honest and say that while I teach my children American History I also teach my husband who's equally interested! lol Our learning about the Boston Tea Party started like this, "Now I'm going to tell you guys a story, it's true, it's not made up. It's about a tea party, but no one in this story drank tea." My husband was as equally relieved by that as were the boys! LOL

Kendra

Jen in SC
05-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks! This is the first time we have rowed this book, and some of the go alongs haven't come in from the library yet! (including the Jean Fritz book!)

I appreciate it ladies! :kiss:

Hollie in SC
05-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks! This is the first time we have rowed this book, and some of the go alongs haven't come in from the library yet! (including the Jean Fritz book!)

I appreciate it ladies! :kiss:

Jen, if the Peace Center brings the Paul Revere musical back this year w/the POP! program--you MUST go. It was the BEST one we've seen!!

Jen in SC
05-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Jen, if the Peace Center brings the Paul Revere musical back this year w/the POP! program--you MUST go. It was the BEST one we've seen!!

I will look for it!

Sasha
05-11-2007, 06:26 PM
I have to add to the Paul Revere talk with my own funny event that happened yesterday. We've also been rowing Paul Revere, casually as my son is 4, well he and his dad have Nerf "shooters" that shoot foam balls, and everday they do this, typically taking ME to jail. So last night I'm in the kitchen cooking and they both come in, shooters pointed, saying there's the bad guy, well my husband has a green deflated ball on his head that looks like a beret, when I ask him about it, he says "I'm a British soldier," not knowing about our recent rowing of PR, so Gavin immediately turns his shooter on his dad and yells, "Get that Redcoat!" My husband's eyes widen in shock and he runs down the hall, Gavin then hollers, "Everyone get your shooters, the British are coming!" We haven't discussed that we are now friends with the British but his connection with what we've been reading was hilarious.

Jane Claire
05-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Laughing...and being so happy that eventually in your home and your in son's heart all of history will one day "come together"--not all at once--leave that time for imagination and fun and not too many facts for the very young (they'll be later, you will faithfully add them in)--and history will always be a favorite topic! :clap:

Jane Claire
05-12-2007, 07:37 AM
For those who are browsing and who may not have a manual yet, there is a teacher's note about "poetic license" and how some poets and authors will take just a few significant facts and create a work that is simple, leaving the readers, once inspired, to continue to learn facts about the historic topic as they grow.

The information in the Fritz book could also be appropriate additions for the Beyond rowers, if you decide not to "tell all" at the Five in a Row level! :)

Jen: As a horse lover, I, like your daughter would want to know the answer to this question. How could Paul possibly do this brave ride on a horse other than his own! However, it appears to be true!

shonda in ca
05-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh! Oh! I can contribute to this discussion! :lol:

It was my relative that loaned Paul Revere his horse! :D Here's a link that gives the skinny. Read down to the part about Samuel and Deacon John Larkin. (btw, look at my oldest dd's name! ;) )

http://www.paulreverehouse.org/bio/faq.shtml

This is so funny because my dd was doing geneology today and I was just looking at the Larkin's pedigree charts. :)

When I was a kid I used to tell everyone that I was related to Paul Revere's horse. :lol:

Jen in SC
05-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Wow Shonda! That is so cool! Since asking this question we have watched an A&E Boigraphy videio about Paul Revere that gave a few more details. All very interesting! We enjoyed this book so much. I tried to row it with Rachel about 3 years ago, but I was a newbie homeschooler and she was little, and frankly, I gave up after a couple of days because it was over both of our heads. :lol: FIAR has grown us both quite a bit! And Mary Evelyn did just fine with it!

Jane Claire
05-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Shonda--such a famous one among our midst! :clap: Isn't history amazing!

Sasha
05-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Shonda,

Thanks so much for sharing that with us, that's great. As a horse lover and owner I always think about how important horses were in our history and how we wouldn't have gotten very far without them, that's why it makes me so sad that they are slaughtered not only for animal consumption but also for human consumption in our country, a little off topic but I think they are such an important part of our history they should be treasured:) The Lord placed them with us for a reason.