PDA

View Full Version : Remind me of the tricks

Carol S
01-26-2012, 02:28 PM
I need a refresher on little training/disciplinary tricks for 9 year olds who are all in everybody's business and trying to boss people around. Being as how he's the youngest child, he's received more than his share of bossing, and he is attempting to pay it back in spades. Being how he IS the youngest child, nobody is complying, but they certainly are speaking to him about it in that *ahem* loving way siblings have.

In other words, there's a lot of griping going on around here.

I just can not remember whether I did anything effective in the past when this sort of phase comes around.

Cari
01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
No good suggestions, but I will be following this thread as DD7 sounds very much like you described, as well as the all-too-familiar sibling reactions.

:group:

Cari

Rachel Jane
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
In our world, we would say, "If you have time to be mean, you have time to clean." and I would have a list of chores like cleaning baseboards, wiping walls, cleaning windows,cleaning handrails and molding on stairs, wiping down the outside of the 'fridge...Things that should be done, but rarely did. :lol:
All complainers got chores, the whining offendee as well as the offender. If the offended party handled it will maturity, he was exempt. Atttitude is easy to see.

CJ
01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Things we do:

1. Remind them politely that YOU are the parent and you will handle any problems with siblings. Have them apologize to the sibling they were bossing. "I'm sorry for bossing you. I know it is not my job and I will not do it again." Other child says, "I accept your apology and I forgive you." This needs to be a sincere exchange.

2. If it mainly just WHAT they are saying to the other sibling, I put just their voice in time out. Remind them of what they are doing that is unacceptable. They cannot talk or say anything until I tell them their voice is time in.

3. Remind them it is not their job to micro-manage their sibling. If they can't stop, then they are put in time out (regardless of age) for the number of minutes per age. (9yo = 9 minutes, set a timer). They obviously need some "time" to think about changing their behavior and their words.

4. If they still are persisting in this behavior, I assign extra chores.

5. If this doesn't curb the behavior, I warn them one final time and then they lose all screens for 7 days. They are being willfully disobedient at this point.

Another option is to have them write out Psalms 19:13, 14 ten times.

We talk a lot about not being presumptuous in our family.