PDA

View Full Version : Ever been Talk of a Vol 5 & 6?-To the Authors

SoniaM
05-11-2007, 05:04 AM
I wonder if there has ever been any talk of adding a Vol 5 and and/or 6?
I thought maybe because there are a few oop books and a few hard to gets -if this has ever been considered?
Just curious???
Good idea doncha think!!

Hollie in SC
05-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Sonia, I'm OBVIOUSLY not an author. ;) However, I did want to mention that there are plans for more FIAR units. They will be coming to the digital store.
http://www.fiveinarowdigital.com

Steve Lambert
05-11-2007, 06:45 AM
I wonder if there has ever been any talk of adding a Vol 5 and and/or 6?
I thought maybe because there are a few oop books and a few hard to gets -if this has ever been considered?
Just curious???
Good idea doncha think!!

Sonia,

From a "wouldn't it be nice" idea- yep, it's great! From a business point of view- nope.

Here's kind of how it works. For every 10 Volume 1's we sell...

We sell 5 Volume 2's
2.5 Volume 3's
less than 1 Volume 4

And you can imagine we might sell only 1 Volume 6 for every 100 volume 1's sold.

And to print books the majority of the cost is in the set-up of the printing press, plates, etc. So while 1,000,000 books might cost $1 each to print, 10,000 books might cost $5 each to print and 100 books might cost $150 each to print! :eek:

So what do all those numbers mean? It means a volume 5 and 6 would be a recipe for instant bankruptcy! :roflol:

Volume 4 is now out of print because of these very same kinds of numbers and those units, along with all future units, will become available as downloadable, digital .pdf units as Hollie said.

Blessings,

Steve

Candace C
05-11-2007, 06:53 AM
I do understand th figures...hate it, but understand it! ;)

I have wondered before IF miss Jane was going to put together new units for books...what would be next on her list of books to "row?" Just plain curiosity...cause we sure do love the books she picked the first few times around! :D

Kendra AU
05-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Yikes! Does this mean we can't purchase Volume 4 anymore??

Kendra

Steve Lambert
05-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Yikes! Does this mean we can't purchase Volume 4 anymore??

Kendra

As a book- yes, they are all gone.

As individual, downloadable units on the digital store- the first unit will be up today or tomorrow and the rest in the next several weeks.

Blessings,

Steve

Steve Lambert
05-11-2007, 07:22 AM
;)

I have wondered before IF miss Jane was going to put together new units for books...what would be next on her list of books to "row?" Just plain curiosity...cause we sure do love most of the books she picked the first few times around! :D

Candace,

Jane has a new unit just about ready to unveil. And no, I won't tell you the book title! :roflol:

It will be released ONLY as a digital, downloadable, .pdf unit and we hope it will be the first of many.

Blessings,

Steve

Penny
05-11-2007, 07:47 AM
:lol: Hi,
My husband thought I was crazy buying all of the fiar volumes when my daughter is only 4. Ha, I am glad I did. I am sorry you guys have had to stop printing on vol. 4. I think everyone should try Fiar because it makes children want to learn. That is how we base our curriculum purchases.
:clap:

Jen in SC
05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
We are a small business family too, Steve. I understand hard decisions. It's just a fact of life. But I am so glad to have the manuals. I love taking a manual outside with me to look through while the kids are playing in the yard. :thumb:

shalomew
05-11-2007, 08:50 AM
I must have bought one of the last Volume 4's not even knowing that they were going to be gone! I ordered Volumes 2,3 and 4 in Early April and received them in late April. I feel so lucky that I didn't wait!

I, like the other poster, have a child that is just starting BFIAR but knew I wanted this program start to finish! And as I began scouring used book places for the titles for all 4 volumes I was picking up a lot of Volume 4 books...

Can't wait to see the new downloadable units! There are so many great books out there that are just waiting for the Lambert touch!

Jessi
05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Will Vols. 1-3 continue to be available in hard copy in the future? I, too, like having a hard copy to curl up with on the couch!

Another question--can you print whatever you download? If you wanted to put it all in a notebook rather than keep it on your computer? Or does it have to stay on your computer? (I'm not very high-tech if this sounds like a silly question.) Thanks!:)

Robin(CA)
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
If you want vol 4, try Rainbow Resource. I saw it on their website last week as "available" still.

Ooh, I very excited about the prospect of NEW units!

Candace C
05-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Rainbow Resource is now out...my SIL and I were trying to order and she wanted it. We put it in our cart yesterday and today it is unavailable! Right before we placed the order! Bummer! She did find one on ebay I think.

Anyway, on the new units! I'm super excited too, to see which book is coming out next! I'm doing my planning for our new school year now, including trying to figure out which books to row, etc...I hope it's soon!! Yeah! :clap: :D

Christi in VA
05-11-2007, 11:12 AM
There were 2 left at www.rocksolidinc.com when I called....I got one of them, I hope!

Tamie_in_MI
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
I had eBay watching for Vol 4 for a LONG time before it came up for a price I was willing to pay. The price that I was willing to pay continued to climb as I realized it was not as available (used) as the other Volumes.

Alana
05-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Because I am on a strict budget, I am hoping the price of any new digital unit will be extremely affordable. I appreciate the time and effort it takes to come up with a unit study for a book. I also appreciate the time effort and money it takes to write all those thoughts down and publish them. I am hoping that the price of these new units will be not more than a couple/few dollars each. That is a price I could afford. I think of what a great deal FIAR units are when we get them in a whole book. 21 units in vol. 2 for $24.95 retail. That is $1.18 per unit. I don't know if you guys even think of things in this way. I love FIAR, can't wait to see how you grow. I just hope it is affordable for me too.

Stacey in FL
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I just bought a Volume 4 from Book Peddler. If you need one check over there quickly!!!:clap:

Stacy in OR
05-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I was able to get a copy of volume 4 from Rock Solid inc. Give them a try if you are trying to locate a copy.

Becky Jane
05-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Because I am on a strict budget, I am hoping the price of any new digital unit will be extremely affordable. I am hoping that the price of these new units will be not more than a couple/few dollars each. That is a price I could afford. I think of what a great deal FIAR units are when we get them in a whole book. 21 units in vol. 2 for $24.95 retail. That is $1.18 per unit.

It is an amazing value, isn't it Alana? Despite extreme rising costs in paper, printing, publishing...not to mention exasperating spikes in fuel/shipping costs...and finally, the years my mother spent writing and forming those lessons....it's an incredible, almost unreal value. :crazy: We're committed to continuing to offer those original series of lesson plans for a reasonable cost to homeschool families. The realities are, however, (for all of the reasons I listed above), that we couldn't possibly sell you a brand new unit study (with enough lessons & activities to last you 1-3 weeks) for $1.18. :happyno: The new FIAR unit (Which is spectacular! Can't wait for you all to see it!) took my mother almost 8 months of her life to write. Hundreds of hours of research, writing, editing, drawing, etc. Truly, you cannot possibly imagine the amount of work it takes to produce just one of these units.

The reason Five in a Row is so intensely loved by families and children everywhere is because there is so much of my mother in each lesson. :yes: Her passion, her drive, her expertise, her compassion and her contagious love of learning fills each and every page. While the original manuals are still set a almost shockingly low price point, there is no possible way we would be able to offer new and upcoming (individual) units at that same price. We all understand budgets. But, even if she is too modest to say it, I will. My mother's work is worth far more than $2. Two or three bucks is what we spend on greeting cards -- not what we spend educational curriculum for our children.

I encourage you to continue to make use of the FIAR Manuals we offer in print form ~ and to selectively and carefully purchase digital products from us, if your budget allows. And I trust you understand how committed we are to continuing to offer a line of products that reaches everyone -- and still maintains the highest level of professional quality, educational integrity while still allowing our family to make a profit so we are able to continue to serve each of you, and your children, every day. :group:

Blessings,
Becky Jane

Karen (OR)
05-11-2007, 03:32 PM
It is an amazing value, isn't it Alana? Despite extreme rising costs in paper, printing, publishing...not to mention exasperating spikes in fuel/shipping costs...and finally, the years my mother spent writing and forming those lessons....it's an incredible, almost unreal value. :crazy: We're committed to continuing to offer those original series of lesson plans for a reasonable cost to homeschool families. The realities are, however, (for all of the reasons I listed above), that we couldn't possibly sell you a brand new unit study (with enough lessons & activities to last you 1-3 weeks) for $1.18. :happyno:

Blessings,
Becky Jane

Becky,

I do own all 4 manuals and the cookbook and love them. I also realize that there is much work and love that goes into the making of these lessons. I don't want to step on toes or be argumentative. I just have a hard time with the price per unit going up that much. That is me assuming that they would be the same price as the other digital items have been... 9.95. With them being digital we pay for the ink and paper and there is no shipping or fuel. It just seems like so many more people would be able to enjoy the new lessons if they weren't quite so much. I pray that God blesses you all with many, many, many people ordering your new products. I just hope that you will take this into consideration when setting the prices. It just seems like so many people are having such a hard time financially.

Blessings,
Karen

Alana
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Becky Jane,

Thank you for your thorough reply. I am sure you were fighting every urge to throw a boot at my head. I would like to say that I am thankful for this program, and meant no disrespect to your family nor to the great lady who wrote the originals. I just hate that I will be missing out on the fun. Thank you again for your response.

Becky Jane
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Karen,

I understand where you are coming from. :yes: Digital isn't "free" to us. :happyno: It costs nearly as much to produce a unit digitally, as it does traditionally. In terms of digital space, technology to produce, cart service, etc. :) Also, the new FIAR units for sale will be as "meaty" and lengthy (if not more so) than the FIAR Volume 4 units. They will be geared to the older FIAR student. The new units will also include a FIAR Bible Character supplement section & cookbook lessons! Just like FIAR Volume 4. It's all there.

The volumes are collective books. FIAR Volume 4 for example retailed for $50. You were locked in to all of the units...even though, unfortunately for that volume, several of the books were out of print. That frustrated some of our Volume 4 customers. They would far rather spend $7,8, or 9 each on the 3 units they're excited about...instead of $50 on 15 that they can't completely locate. Make any sense?

I'm certainly not here to try and convince you or explain each and every move we're making. Goodness no! :D I just want to let you know that we are moving along, trying to offer what we people have been asking us to create for years (more sweet and gentle FIAR units), and we're also trying to make it "make sense" for everyone involved. :)

Again, the original manuals will always be available -- and always at a tremendous value. :group:

Blessings,
Becky Jane

karendg
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Rainbow Resource is now out...my SIL and I were trying to order and she wanted it. We put it in our cart yesterday and today it is unavailable! Right before we placed the order! Bummer! She did find one on ebay I think.

I did the same thing yesterday. :roflol: I ordered one from Rock Solid too. If it's true there were only 2 left I should be getting an e-mail saying they don't have it. I hope not!

Hollie in SC
05-11-2007, 04:38 PM
The reason Five in a Row is so intensely loved by families and children everywhere is because there is so much of my mother in each lesson. :yes: Her passion, her drive, her expertise, her compassion and her contagious love of learning fills each and every page. While the original manuals are still set a almost shockingly low price point, there is no possible way we would be able to offer new and upcoming (individual) units at that same price. We all understand budgets. But, even if she is too modest to say it, I will. My mother's work is worth far more than $2. Two or three bucks is what we spend on greeting cards -- not what we spend educational curriculum for our children.

I think one of the biggest blessings I have received from attending two FIAR Conferences is seeing in person how much of themselves that Becky Jane and Jane have put into their work. When you talk with Jane, her love just shines through with every word she speaks--whether is is about a book she is sharing or a piece of advice she has.

I am IMMENSELY excited about new units, because each and every one we have used has been a blessing.

Thank you all for continuing to serve us. :group:

Julie in AZ
05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
I think one of the biggest blessings I have received from attending two FIAR Conferences is seeing in person how much of themselves that Becky Jane and Jane have put into their work. When you talk with Jane, her love just shines through with every word she speaks--whether is is about a book she is sharing or a piece of advice she has.

I am IMMENSELY excited about new units, because each and every one we have used has been a blessing.

Thank you all for continuing to serve us. :group:

:yes:

Stacy in OR
05-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Becky Jane,

All I can say is that I hope my children speak as highly of me (as you do of your mom) when they are grown. Your mom is a wonderful mentor for us younger women. I do "catch" her gentleness, enthusiasm, and wonder as I teach from her units. She reminds me to enjoy the process and my children!

Thanks for explaining the process that all of you at FIAR go through behind the scenes. It does help to know things like how long a unit takes to be written and what some of the costs are. I think everyone who loves FIAR wants to see "you all" succeed and also to see that the worker gets paid what he/she deserves. At the same time, we are "bummed" when are budgets keep us from enjoying all that is offered.

Thanks for all you do!

SoniaM
05-11-2007, 05:13 PM
You have to know what your worth and charge accordly--sure there will always be others that don't think its worth it or cannot afford it, but that doesn't mean your time or effort and input is any less valuable. never sell yourself short, God doesn't

I cannot wait for the new units to come out:)

Christie
05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
The volumes are collective books. FIAR Volume 4 for example retailed for $50. You were locked in to all of the units...even though, unfortunately for that volume, several of the books were out of print. That frustrated some of our Volume 4 customers. They would far rather spend $7,8, or 9 each on the 3 units they're excited about...instead of $50 on 15 that they can't completely locate. Make any sense?

I like this. Even some of the OOP books seem to have disappeared from my public library. A few are classified as "permanently lost." :eek: So I would purchase a unit knowing I can definitely get the book. I look forward to seeing the new titles!

Mary FL
05-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Again, the original manuals will always be available -- and always at a tremendous value. :group:

Blessings,
Becky Jane[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about Vols. 1, 2 and 3 only? Vol. 4 is no longer available, I understand?!

Also, what about Beyond and Above and Beyond? Will those manuals go OOP as well? It's hard to plan so far ahead. I don't know whether to buy them now or not.

Thanks for being here!:)

MarieD
05-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Also, the new FIAR units for sale will be as "meaty" and lengthy (if not more so) than the FIAR Volume 4 units. They will be geared to the older FIAR student. The new units will also include a FIAR Bible Character supplement section & cookbook lessons! Just like FIAR Volume 4. It's all there.

Becky does this mean that there will also be a story disk with each unit? Just wanting to be sure . . . we love the story disks! I don't own volume 4, but seem to remember hearing that it had the story disks in it. I am going to have to keep my eyes out for vol. 4 at the used curriculum sales. I am kicking myself for not buying it earlier. :unsure:

Becky Jane
05-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Are you talking about Vols. 1, 2 and 3 only? Vol. 4 is no longer available, I understand?!

Also, what about Beyond and Above and Beyond? Will those manuals go OOP as well?

Thanks for being here!:)

Mary, the original series of books that are perfect-bound (color covers and smooth binding) (i.e., Before FIAR, FIAR Volumes 1, 2, 3, FIAR Bible Supplement, Beyond FIAR Volumes 1, 2, 3, and the Beyond Bible Supplement) will always be sold in that format, just that way. :yes: Also, the Story Disks will continue to be available both in the volumes, and pre-colored/laminated. :yes: These books are the core of our curriculum. :thumb:

The books that were added later, and were spiral bound (FIAR Cookbook, FIAR Volume 4 and Above & Beyond) will soon be re-released as digital downloads.

Mary FL
05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Becky Jane. That clears things up for me.:yes:

Melissa in SC
05-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I just ordered from www.rocksolidinc.com and it took the order so I hope I got it, it didnt say out of stock!!:unsure:

Kendall in GA
05-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Volume 4 is now out of print because of these very same kinds of numbers and those units, along with all future units, will become available as downloadable, digital .pdf units as Hollie said.

Blessings,

Steve

Yikes!! :eek: Whew!! I'm sooooooooo happy that I was able to purchase Vol. 4 at the last conference :D :D...I would have been beside myself if I couldn't own a spiral bound copy. I feel a little bit like I won the lottery. :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing the new units. :)

Hollie - Ditto!

Kate K
05-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Is the plan to have all the previously published units $9.00? Are the studies for the same books as the hard copies the same as the hard copies, or are new things added?

Thanks!

Jody in PA
05-12-2007, 07:07 AM
I rather have hard copy manuels than paper floating around. I am really glad to have purchased the hard copies. I understand about getting them bond, but we live out in the country and hardly go to where there is a place that they bind.

I also know in our area the plainer people don't have access to computers, because they aren't allowed to have them. So keep in mind that these people would never be able to use FIAR without having a hard copy of a book. I think a majority don't realize that not everyone does have a computer and won't, because of religious reasons. We probably are one of the biggest area in the country that do have conservative groups of people and live very simple. They devor lots of books, homeschool, but never have a computer or internet. I recommend FIAR to them and tell them where to get the hard copies. So I am glad you are not going all digital.

Becky Jane
05-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Is the plan to have all the previously published units $9.00? Are the studies for the same books as the hard copies the same as the hard copies, or are new things added?

Thanks!

No. Only the units from FIAR Volume 4, Above & Beyond, and any brand-new, additional, individual units will be offered in this format.

People who don't have access to a computer or printer, will always be able to purchase the original two-year program, in our beloved traditional format. :thumb:

And in terms of "Papers flying about" (to answer Jody's question), I wouldn't just staple a stack of random sheets together and try to teach. :lol: Just 3-hole punch your new unit study, slip it into a sturdy folder, place a neat label on the front and Voila! You have a book you can hold! Finished that unit? Take it out, file it away for the next child, put your new unit in the same folder and you're good to go.

Heidi J
05-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I just ordered from www.rocksolidinc.com and it took the order so I hope I got it, it didnt say out of stock!!:unsure:

Me too.

Jane Claire
05-12-2007, 09:56 AM
The previous lessons from Volume 4 will be released in individual units over the course of the next two years along with some brand new units. You can download them (they will have the Character Study, and Cookbook portions right with them) and three hole punch them to be added to your own manual or bound together at Kinkos, as you wish!

We are hoping that this will provide better service for you and that you will know when you purchase a unit whether or not the book is in print. For some FIAR moms looking and finding the OOP's is a challege they really do not mind. These FIAR users find the books and feel the search is well worth the time. For various reasons others may choose to skip units that have books OOP.

Again we love serving the homeschooling community and feel the FIAR moms will enjoy knowing the status of the Volume 4 units before they purchase them.

Blessings,

Kate K
05-12-2007, 12:58 PM
No. Only the units from FIAR Volume 4, Above & Beyond, and any brand-new, additional, individua00l units will be offered in this format.

Thank you, Becky Jane! I have to confess I wrote that question before I'd finished my first cup of coffee while at the same time thinking "soccer at 10:00...is she at home or away...which color is home, anyway...does she have shorts...do the black socks fit her...what time is ballet...are her tights clean...can we take stepson to get his bike on the way...is this her last class or is there one more....did dh get a gift for his mom?....mine?...oh boy this coffee is good...change? did they say change? :spin:" ;) )

Can I ask the question that I really meant to ask above?

Are the digital volume 4 units all going to be $9.00 each? Will there be any sort of "buy 9 get the 10th" or anything like that?

Also, (I didn't ask this before) when will more of the volume 4 units be available online?

Please understand that I'm asking this as a mom who is trying to plan our summer and fall with an almost-8-year-old--I tend to get flummoxed with changes, so anything you can tell me to help me know what I'm planning with would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Alice R
05-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Did I mention that I have an addiction to page protectors? :roflol:

I print things and put them in page protectors. Yes, the get big and heavy but I love how neat they look and no smudges! No rips! So sleek and fresh! :cool:

Don't forget the page protector option! :thumb:

Wendy in SW MS
05-12-2007, 04:47 PM
As a book- yes, they are all gone.

As individual, downloadable units on the digital store- the first unit will be up today or tomorrow and the rest in the next several weeks.

Blessings,

Steve

Oh, man!! And it is finally time for me to buy a volume 4, since I was planning to use it with Daniel this coming school year!!;) No wonder I have not been able to find one anywhere!!!!:eek: Now I will have to see if I can budget monthly to purchase the downloadables--and hope my computer will cooperate with me, and have enough memory space!! :lol:

Stacy in OR
05-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Wendy, do call rocksolidinc (I went to their site to get their phone number). Their customer service rep. told me that they still had the book and placed my order over the phone.

Karen (OR)
05-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Karen,

I understand where you are coming from. :yes: Digital isn't "free" to us. :happyno: It costs nearly as much to produce a unit digitally, as it does traditionally. In terms of digital space, technology to produce, cart service, etc. :) Also, the new FIAR units for sale will be as "meaty" and lengthy (if not more so) than the FIAR Volume 4 units. They will be geared to the older FIAR student. The new units will also include a FIAR Bible Character supplement section & cookbook lessons! Just like FIAR Volume 4. It's all there.

I'm certainly not here to try and convince you or explain each and every move we're making. Goodness no! :D I just want to let you know that we are moving along, trying to offer what we people have been asking us to create for years (more sweet and gentle FIAR units), and we're also trying to make it "make sense" for everyone involved. :)

Blessings,
Becky Jane

Becky Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this. :) I really did think that digital would be much, much cheaper for you. :eek: This helps me to understand better where you all are coming from.

I truly do love FIAR and appreciate all of the hard work and love that goes into the making of it. I have ordered all but one (I think) of my manuals from you directly. I will be buying Beyond soon and when I order I will again order from you directly. I would much rather you all get a bigger profit and be able to stay around for us and all of our friends we send your way than for me to save 2 or 3 dollars.

I have never been a big # poster. I have been around since 2 message boards ago. I started coming on and visiting the boards when my oldest was just a baby. I bought the manuals and started collecting the books when he was probably 2. I have all the books except some of the oop from volume 4. I love that somebody else (your Mom and You) have come up with all of these great ideas because I just do not have time to pull it all together myself.

With 5 kids I have to watch very closely how I spend my money in EVERY area. I am one that does shop at Walmart. I have to. :unsure: I don't want small businesses to go out of business but I do have to do what I need to for our family to be able to make it too. I really appreciate all that your Dad had to say the last couple of days. What you all have shared in the last couple of days has really helped alot of us to understand. I hope you know that I meant no offense to any of you with my questions about the cost of your digital products. I will order the new units as I am able. I'm sure they will be great :clap: and I look forward to seeing what will be available.

Blessings,
Karen