PDA

View Full Version : Far above rubies

Trudy
01-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Are any of you using this curriculum with your high school daughters and if so what do you like or dislike about it?

Kendra AU
01-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I used it when I was in highschool. Depending on how you use it depends on how long it lasts. I used it for my Senior year I do believe, but it is created to be used for four years if you so chose.

Trudy
01-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Kendra, what can you tell me about it? Did you like it? I really don't know that much about it so anything you can tell me I would really appreciate!

VeronicainVA
07-02-2012, 10:56 PM
I saw this post and thought I would repost to see if I could find out more about this curriculum. My oldest Briana is 14 and will be entering high school in the fall. I am thinking of using this with her and was wondering if there is anyone here that can offer some feedback. She is a FIAR graduate and does well with unit studies.

Thanks in advance.:kiss::)

Kendra AU
07-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Well, I wrote it out & then hit the wrong button & lost it. Shameful really.. :lol:

As I remember the book can be used in 1-4 years depending on how you divide it up. Our aim was 4 years, but I think we finished it in 2. Each week is a new verse or verses from Prov. 31. The entire unit study is based on Prov 31 wife.

From each verse, which you copy down & memorise in the week you learn a variety of things. How to care for your family, cooking, sewing, etc. All the basic things a wife would know how to do.

I don't remember which vs/week but I remember we arranged a field trip to the local hospital one week & the Dr I worked for {nanny} met us there & my siblings & I had a quick lesson in x-rays. My husband thinks it's pretty cool I can read an x-ray now. :lol: I honestly don't remember a lot of what I did, but I have big memories of that.. probably because I've read too many xrays since then.

I know sewing & cooking were a part of it, but we were each required to cook dinner at least 1x a week {not sure if that's where Mom got the idea from or not}, & sewing was a major part of my childhood anyway. I will say, though, that when my sister was hospitalized for a week & we had an uncle coming in from out of town Mom had every confidence that I could run the house while Dad was at work. It's also the one major cooking blunder I made my family has NEVER let me live down.

All though, I think my brother & father forgot it pretty quickly, most likely to avoid the nightmares! Mom, on the other hand, has never forgotten the desperate phone call in the hospital where I was wailing, "Mom it wouldn't thicken & now it's so thick I can't get the spoon out of the pan!!" :roflol:

It's been many years since I've used it, but I did spot a recent review here (http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/reviews/far.php). I've no idea what the review says because I didn't take the time to read it.

Also, if you go to the author's website (http://www.lyndacoats.com/?page_id=3) you can get a 74 page sample.

I have no ill memories of the course, but then again I have very few ill memories of my homeschool years or childhood. :lol:
FWIW, there's also one of these out for boys now called Blessed is the Man. It was on sale a while back through Homeschool Freebies & I debated it buying it for my guys. :lol:

Kendra AU
07-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Oo, I don't believe math was included in it! I recall doing a business math course at the time. No idea what the name of it was, but you actually had to manage a monthly checking account {fictional} & write out checks {included with the curriculum} to the bill companies. Your teacher would deposit {fictional obviously} money into your checking account each week & that's what you worked with.

If I remember correctly it was that course that taught you how to do things like read meters so you could be sure you were being charged correctly each month, etc.

VeronicainVA
07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks so much Kendra! It sounds like what I might be wanting to use with my DD. Thanks for sharing your memories too. I only pray that my children will also look back with fond memories. You are a gem!:kiss:

Trudy, Did you decide to use this?

Heather (WI)
07-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Oh, I'm interested in finding more about this, too. :)

Kendra, is it a stand-alone curriculum, or is it something you use along with another main curriculum?

Kendra AU
07-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Heather, I think it's meant to be a stand-alone, like FIAR :D

Heather (WI)
07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Heather, I think it's meant to be a stand-alone, like FIAR :D

Thanks, Kendra. :)

Christi in VA
07-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I was scouting this out for future use. Could it be used over more than four years?

Robin in Colorado
07-10-2012, 09:03 AM
:blush: Oops, never mind.

Kendra AU
07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I was scouting this out for future use. Could it be used over more than four years?

I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I've used it.