View Full Version : Far above rubies

01-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Are any of you using this curriculum with your high school daughters and if so what do you like or dislike about it?

Kendra AU
01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
I used it when I was in highschool. Depending on how you use it depends on how long it lasts. I used it for my Senior year I do believe, but it is created to be used for four years if you so chose.

01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Kendra, what can you tell me about it? Did you like it? I really don't know that much about it so anything you can tell me I would really appreciate!

07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I saw this post and thought I would repost to see if I could find out more about this curriculum. My oldest Briana is 14 and will be entering high school in the fall. I am thinking of using this with her and was wondering if there is anyone here that can offer some feedback. She is a FIAR graduate and does well with unit studies.

Thanks in advance.:kiss::)

Kendra AU
07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Well, I wrote it out & then hit the wrong button & lost it. Shameful really.. :lol:

As I remember the book can be used in 1-4 years depending on how you divide it up. Our aim was 4 years, but I think we finished it in 2. Each week is a new verse or verses from Prov. 31. The entire unit study is based on Prov 31 wife.

From each verse, which you copy down & memorise in the week you learn a variety of things. How to care for your family, cooking, sewing, etc. All the basic things a wife would know how to do.

I don't remember which vs/week but I remember we arranged a field trip to the local hospital one week & the Dr I worked for {nanny} met us there & my siblings & I had a quick lesson in x-rays. My husband thinks it's pretty cool I can read an x-ray now. :lol: I honestly don't remember a lot of what I did, but I have big memories of that.. probably because I've read too many xrays since then.

I know sewing & cooking were a part of it, but we were each required to cook dinner at least 1x a week {not sure if that's where Mom got the idea from or not}, & sewing was a major part of my childhood anyway. I will say, though, that when my sister was hospitalized for a week & we had an uncle coming in from out of town Mom had every confidence that I could run the house while Dad was at work. It's also the one major cooking blunder I made my family has NEVER let me live down.

All though, I think my brother & father forgot it pretty quickly, most likely to avoid the nightmares! Mom, on the other hand, has never forgotten the desperate phone call in the hospital where I was wailing, "Mom it wouldn't thicken & now it's so thick I can't get the spoon out of the pan!!" :roflol:

It's been many years since I've used it, but I did spot a recent review here (http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/reviews/far.php). I've no idea what the review says because I didn't take the time to read it.

Also, if you go to the author's website (http://www.lyndacoats.com/?page_id=3) you can get a 74 page sample.

I have no ill memories of the course, but then again I have very few ill memories of my homeschool years or childhood. :lol:
FWIW, there's also one of these out for boys now called Blessed is the Man. It was on sale a while back through Homeschool Freebies & I debated it buying it for my guys. :lol:

Kendra AU
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Oo, I don't believe math was included in it! I recall doing a business math course at the time. No idea what the name of it was, but you actually had to manage a monthly checking account {fictional} & write out checks {included with the curriculum} to the bill companies. Your teacher would deposit {fictional obviously} money into your checking account each week & that's what you worked with.

If I remember correctly it was that course that taught you how to do things like read meters so you could be sure you were being charged correctly each month, etc.

07-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks so much Kendra! It sounds like what I might be wanting to use with my DD. Thanks for sharing your memories too. I only pray that my children will also look back with fond memories. You are a gem!:kiss:

Trudy, Did you decide to use this?

Heather (WI)
07-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh, I'm interested in finding more about this, too. :)

Kendra, is it a stand-alone curriculum, or is it something you use along with another main curriculum?

Kendra AU
07-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Heather, I think it's meant to be a stand-alone, like FIAR :D

Heather (WI)
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Heather, I think it's meant to be a stand-alone, like FIAR :D

Thanks, Kendra. :)

Christi in VA
07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I was scouting this out for future use. Could it be used over more than four years?

Robin in Colorado
07-10-2012, 08:03 AM
:blush: Oops, never mind.

Kendra AU
07-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I was scouting this out for future use. Could it be used over more than four years?

I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I've used it.