PDA

View Full Version : super bowl party food ideas

Rachel
01-31-2012, 02:45 PM
We're invited to a super bowl party again. I'm not sure I want to go but I think we'll end up at least making an appearance. (We were commitment free last weekend after being so busy for months and months and it felt so good... I'd like to be free my entire weekend again but oh well... )

What are some good foods to take? I would prefer easy but yummy. Hmmm... and I think that I posted this last year too, maybe I'll see if that thread is still there.

Nancy F in CA
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
We are going to my brother and sil's. I am making chicken wings(not too spicy) and a Mexican layer dip. My sil is making a vegie tray with dip and chili.
We really just want to hang out and relax and it is a good excuse for it!

Rachel
01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
O.k. so the layered dip is already taken (someone has already said they are bringing them), as is BBQ hot dogs, chips and chili.
I was thinking a layered taco dip but I don't want to have too many repititions.
Ugh...

I think I'll do PW's Knock You Naked Brownies and then 1 or 2 more items. Decisions, decisions.

CJ
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Something different, but delicious and easy is Jezebel Sauce with Crackers. I had this first when I was dating my dh in Texas and his aunt served it. It was unlike anything I had ever had, but it was addictive. I think it's really appropriate for a football game for some strange reason.

Aunt Susannah's Jezebel Sauce

Ingredients

1 (10 ounce) jar apple jelly
1 (10 ounce) jar pineapple fruit preserves
1 (8 ounce) jar prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together apple jelly, pineapple fruit preserves, prepared horseradish, ground dry mustard and cracked black pepper. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight, before serving.

When you get there, put a brick of cream cheese on a plate and pour the sauce over the cream cheese. Serve with Waverly or Club crackers.

Nancy Ann
01-31-2012, 10:43 PM
We are hosting a Super Bowl this is what we are having and maybe it will give you some ideas.

Snack Table:
Tortilla chips and salsa
Rippled Potato Chips with Beefy Onion Dip
Olives,Cheese,Nuts Tray
Veggies,Fruit Tray
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brownies

For the meal at half time:

BBQ Tri Tip
Salad
Glazed Carrots
French Bread

Alicia
01-31-2012, 11:19 PM
We take Buffalo Chicken Dip to many functions and it's always a hit. I'll post the recipe if you are interested. :yum:

Jill in Monrovia
02-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Don't forget about deviled eggs.

Jill in Monrovia

CJ
02-01-2012, 02:52 PM
That's a good one - deviled eggs is my standard pitch-in recipe.

My dh and 17yod made the menu for our Superbowl gathering on Sunday. I think they are crazy. There's only going to be 12 of us and 6 of those are kids. I'll probably need to bring this up before they buy the ingredients. It's just too much, don't you think?

They're making:

jezebel sauce with cream cheese & crackers
hummus with pita bread
potato chips with our special clam dip
chips and salsa
veggie tray
ham
scalloped potatoes
bean salad
homemade rolls
broiled asparagus with olive oil and parmesan
bacon brussels sprouts
brownies
date bars
punch
beer
mimosas

Crazy, right? Sigh...:unsure:

Joy in Alabama
02-01-2012, 04:46 PM
That's a good one - deviled eggs is my standard pitch-in recipe.

My dh and 17yod made the menu for our Superbowl gathering on Sunday. I think they are crazy. There's only going to be 12 of us and 6 of those are kids. I'll probably need to bring this up before they buy the ingredients. It's just too much, don't you think?

They're making:

jezebel sauce with cream cheese & crackers
hummus with pita bread
potato chips with our special clam dip
chips and salsa
veggie tray
ham
scalloped potatoes
bean salad
homemade rolls
broiled asparagus with olive oil and parmesan
bacon brussels sprouts
brownies
date bars
punch
beer
mimosas

Crazy, right? Sigh...:unsure:

Whoa! You're never gonna get out of the kitchen! Are other people bringing part of those things? Please say "Yes, of course!" :roflol:

LillianD
02-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Mini pigs in a blanket (with cocktail weiners and cut up crescent rolls into thirds) or pizza dip. I saw this recipe (http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/03/pizza-dip.html) for pizza dip, looks good...

CJ
02-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Are other people bringing part of those things? Please say "Yes, of course!"

My sil is bringing the first item and my mother is bringing the homemade rolls.
That's it. The rest is up to my kitchen.
:eek:

Like I said - - - I need to "talk him down".
:roflol:

Rachel
02-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Deviled eggs is a great one! Dh makes those.
So now I've got : PW's Knock You Naked Brownies and deviled eggs
I think I need to come up with one more choice.

Jennifer in VA
02-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Something different, but delicious and easy is Jezebel Sauce with Crackers. I had this first when I was dating my dh in Texas and his aunt served it. It was unlike anything I had ever had, but it was addictive. I think it's really appropriate for a football game for some strange reason.

Aunt Susannah's Jezebel Sauce

Ingredients

1 (10 ounce) jar apple jelly
1 (10 ounce) jar pineapple fruit preserves
1 (8 ounce) jar prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together apple jelly, pineapple fruit preserves, prepared horseradish, ground dry mustard and cracked black pepper. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight, before serving.

When you get there, put a brick of cream cheese on a plate and pour the sauce over the cream cheese. Serve with Waverly or Club crackers.

My sister makes something very similar and it is good!

RachelRentas
02-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Meatballs seem to make an appearance at all of our "pitch-in" type gatherings. If you buy the bag of frozen meatballs it's pretty simple. Stick them in a crockpot and cover with bbq sauce or our favorite: 1 jar heinz chili sauce mixed with one can of jellied cranberry sauce.

Michele
02-02-2012, 08:21 AM
CONFESSION: While I love Deviled Eggs, I don't know how to make them! Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that they'd share? Thank you in advance!

CJ
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
My grandmother taught me and I think of her every time I make them. Her way is simple, but delicious.
:)

1. Take 12 eggs and hard boil them. (boil for 10-11 minutes)
2. Drain hot water out and put in very cold water to cool the eggs and make them easier to peel. Do this 2-3 times.
3. Once the eggs are cool, peel them, rinse them. Dry them a bit.
4. Lay out the platter you're going to use and get a sharp knife. Also get out a medium mixing bowl.
5. Slice the eggs length-wise and pop the yolks into the bowl. Gently set the remaining 2 halves on the platter.
6. Continue with the rest of the eggs until they are all sliced and all yolks are in the bowl.
7. Now take a fork and crush and crush and crush the yolks into a very fine powder.
8. Add 1 to 1 & 1/2 cup of mayo to the yolks and then add 1 TB of yellow mustard. Stir very well.
9. Add 2 ts of black pepper and 1 ts of salt and stir very well.
10. Once you're happy with the yolk filling, get out a baby spoon and scoop the filling and add it to the halves. For a fancier way, put the filling into a ziploc and clip on corner. Use the ziploc like a pastry bag to fill the halves.
11. Once the halves are all filled with yolk filling, you can add a topper for a fancy look. Lots of people sprinkle with Paprika. I have also put a sliced black olive on top of each egg, too.

Hope that helps!

Alicia
02-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I make them similar to CJ. I leave out the mustard and add pickle relish to the yolk/mayo mixture.

Michele
02-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Thank you CJ and Alicia!!!! Hoping to be brave enough to whip up a batch today!

Lisa TN
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Thought I'd share this since it's Super Bowl Sunday - I want one - but with only three of us here for the big night, I don't think we'd put a dent in it!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2513094357984.2102753.1571912135&type=3

:roflol: