PDA

View Full Version : The First Time I Saw Him...

Cara in WA
02-03-2012, 01:24 PM
In honor of Valentine's Day, let's share our first meeting with the man who would become our husband!

(Inspired by a sweet story from Rachel Jane on Facebook!)

I would share first, but I'm supposed to be tracking down some paperwork right now. :blush: I will be back and share as soon as I take care of business! :lol:

Rachel Jane
02-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Today is the 24th anniversary of the day DH and I met. Cara asked about it and this is what I wrote:

Mom quit her job to help out while my sister healed from a terrible car crash. She then took a temp job as a secretary at a Nuclear Power plant that was being decommissioned. When the job ended, the guys had a dinner for her. My dad had a test at college that night and couldn't go and my mom said she wouldn't go out to eat with a bunch of men by herself, so I went with her and David was there. ♥
The first time I saw him, he was wearing an Irish fisherman's sweater and he was all muscle from using a jack hammer over his head. :D I won't say it was love at first sight, however, the other men at the table apparently had a bet going about how long it would be before we were married! Guess there were some obvious sparks flying.

David wrote something about it being his lucky day and I replied that he had made it his lucky day by giving me books on our second date.

Tell us how you met your hubby!

Gitel in nj
02-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Nearly 28 years ago my then boyfriend and I went to look at an apartment that my now husband had for rent (it was for me, alone) I knew after about 5 minutes of meeting him that he would ask me out (even if I already had a boyfriend) and I also knew this would be an important relationship.

He did and it is :lol: Of course it wasn't quite as easy as all that but still...

Hollie in SC
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
After graduating from college, I went off to grad school at Clemson. Our department was in a new complex about 20 min. from the main campus of Clemson. It was out by a lake and the only building there at the time. The program had no undergrads. So...there were about 100 students out in the boonies for grad school and we all got to know each other really well in that environment. :lol: I saw Tom in the hall one day and thought he was cute and that he had nice legs. ;)

A few days later he came by my office (16 students/office) and chatted for a while. He was really nice. BUT this was nothing unusual. There were always people stopping by and introducing themselves.

A few days later I was in his office chatting with one of his neighbors and he joined in. I could TELL he was interested. I finished up and walked back to my office. I had hardly sat down before he walked in and asked me to lunch. :) I'm glad I said :yes: The next morning I went to the student board to find his photo and figure out his last name as I couldn't remember it. ;)

Paige P
02-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Jim and I "met" on email ;) Hee, hee.... Actually, a friend knew both of us and wanted to set us up (I was teaching in GA; he was in the navy in VA), so she introduced me to Jim's sister who "previewed" me :) I told her Jim could call me or email me, and he did. We immediately started writing 2-3 paged emails several times a day and knew there was "something" there, but we hadn't even seen a picture of each other at that point. Two weeks later, he was travelling, and I met him at the GA/SC rest stop for lunch and an "in person" conversation. It was good :D A week later, we met in Atlanta for the weekend and decided to get married. A week after that, he formally asked my dad for my hand (one month to the day after our first email), got married 4 months to the day after that, and it's been a WONDERFUL 12 years that just keeps getting better!

Rachel Jane
02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Jim and I "met" on email ;) Hee, hee.... Actually, a friend knew both of us and wanted to set us up (I was teaching in GA; he was in the navy in VA), so she introduced me to Jim's sister who "previewed" me :) I told her Jim could call me or email me, and he did. We immediately started writing 2-3 paged emails several times a day and knew there was "something" there, but we hadn't even seen a picture of each other at that point. Two weeks later, he was travelling, and I met him at the GA/SC rest stop for lunch and an "in person" conversation. It was good :D A week later, we met in Atlanta for the weekend and decided to get married. A week after that, he formally asked my dad for my hand (one month to the day after our first email), got married 4 months to the day after that, and it's been a WONDERFUL 12 years that just keeps getting better!

How did you know it was him (recognize him at the rest stop)?

BethInOK
02-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I met DH right after he had turned in major project in architecture school. From what he told me later, he was tired, hadn't showed or slept in a couple of days. My roommate introduced us as he was heading home for a shower & a nap. He was 19 & I was 22 at the time, so I didn't even consider him a possibility. We kept running into each other (my roommate was dating his friend) and after several months I realized I was disappointed when I didn't run in to him!

ShayChristie
02-03-2012, 02:15 PM
It was a dark and stormy night... Okay, it wasn't stormy, but it was dark! My sister was dating his brother and while on their way home from a date, the car broke down. :eyes: My sister called me and asked for gas. I brought the gas, but the car still wouldn't start. So I drove them to a payphone(this was before cell phones were common and there actually were working pay phones! :lol: ) and he called his brother. We went back to the car and waited until a Peugot zipped into the deserted parking lot(it was probably about 11:30pm) and out stepped Mr. GQ. :D Okay, that's what I thought. He had on a leather bomber jacket(remember those?) and one of those plaid wool scarves casually around the collar. :D He later told me he was sick as a dog and kind of irritated to be called out. :lol:

Anyway, he popped the hood, tinkered a bit, my dad had heard about the car and decided to come see if he could help, and after a bit of this and that, I went home with my sis, he went home with his bro and that was that. Until he called me 30 minutes later and asked me for a date. :D

This was the weekend before Thanksgiving. The following Valentine's Day we were engaged. This Valentine's will be 19 years. :)

JennyO
02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
...he was in a dorm room visiting one of my sister's friends. I thought he was really cute and funny. I found out later he was dating someone. But, he always stayed on my mind. I was happy when his long-term relationship ended the next college year. We ended up being the same astronomy class. He helped me with my homework (I never did understand it:lol:) We starting courting/dating that fall and were engaged by Christmas!:eek: We married that summer!! We've been married for over 13 years and have 6 children (plus another on the way.) He is the best man I've ever known. Our marriage has been full of God's mercies and grace!

Esther-Alabama
02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I was 18, first entire day on the campus of Auburn University, at band camp with 350 others students, and they divided us into 2 long lines. We were to march our line toward the other line and merge the two on the 50 yard line. I ended up right beside him. Just at that moment, a C-130 flew over kind of low and while watching it go,
I said outloud,"Hey, that is a C-130."
He said,"How did you know that?"
I said,"My uncle flew those in Vietnam."
He said,"Mine, too."
I said,"What's your uncle's name?" (It IS the south after all!)

Turns out we ARE completely separate families!
Also, turned out he was a pilot, so I guess it was love at first fly-over. He asked me out shortly after and we've been together ever since.

That was 24 years ago, but Auburn and the 50yrd line hold a special place in my heart. And I cannot help but smile when I see a C-130 fly over.

Amanda Williams
02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I met Josh at my church's college group. I had been going for months, he came with a friend for the first time and we met that night. My girl friend and I "spotted" the new guys, wanted to make them feel welcome and chatted for hours. He had decided not to date (he just broke up with a long time girlfriend) and I guess his friend was semi-interested in me. I only wanted Josh, LOL. He gave his friend a week, the friend didn't ask me out, then Josh did. ;) We went on our first alone date a month after we met and started making wedding plans a month after our first date. Here we are, 13 years and 5 kids later. What a great adventure!

:D:clap:

Gitel in nj
02-03-2012, 02:47 PM
:eek: Most of you all met and married so quickly! I feel I need to add to the story.

I dated both guys for a few months which (now) DH did not like so he dumped me. The other guy and I continued dating until he met another woman and dumped me (he did marry her :lol:) (now) DH and I got back together and lived together for 9 years, I got pregnant, we got married and here we are.

Told you it wasn't quite that simple :roflol:

Joy in Alabama
02-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Thirty-six years ago, January 17th, my preacher invited David to a church service on a Saturday night. He came, but was sitting near the front and I was in the back, so I had time to look him over. I thought he was SO CUTE and, since I was only in high school and he was in college, I was really impressed that he was so grown up and sophisticated and he had great manners! He asked my dad if we could go to Pasquale's Pizza after church and my dad said, "Yes" (unusual for my dad). The next day (Sunday) he called and asked if I could go to church with him that night, but I had to work at McDonald's. I went in and quit my job so I could date him and a month later we were engaged. We got married 10 months later - I was barely 17 and he had just turned 20.

And we lived happily ever after.....

Shannon P
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
DH and I met in junior high band class.:blush: He walked into band class on his first day of school in a new state. Noticing a cute flute player ripping through scales, he figured she was the first chair player. He then watched in utter astonishment as she traded in her flute for a tuba mouthpiece, disappeared behind a huge pile of brass, and started ripping off scales again, this time in a much lower octave.:eek:

Girls weren't allowed to play tuba back home. He thought "We ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto.":roflol:

The band teacher actually introduced us in a manner of speaking. He introduced the new band member to the class, and then announced that the girl tuba player made the high school honor band.

We didn't really know each other until high school when he was part of the varsity marching band equipment loading crew. I had to disassemble, pack and reassemble my sousaphone at every event. Being section leader, I had a lot of equipment to supervise. The sousaphones sat in the top row of the bleachers and he would sneak up there to watch the game from a good vantage spot.;)

We've been married 21 years and pass that school several times a week.

LynnDinKY
02-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Well, I have a slightly complicated story. I met my dh when I was 18, at church. BUT he was married and had two kids. I though he a really great guy nad his wife was very blessed to have him. They divorced a couple of years later. ( I had nothing to do with it. ) I was gonna go to college in MO but found out that Mr. Hottie had been divorced for a year now ( without my knowledge ) and decided to stay home and just see if I could catch his eye.

I chased him and chased him and chased him and finally got him to stop running.:roflol: He thought he was too old for me. I was a young thing at 22 and him being 40. We married when I was 24 and he was 42. You do the math. ( I was 3 months old when he graduated from HS.)

We just recently celebrated our 15th anniversary.

Lindy
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
We met at college in IA, we were both checking each other out until he got his RA to introduce us. He said, "let's go meet your wife" and that's pretty much it.

Once we started hanging out everyone thought he was my brother. :) uhm no.

Turns out though we grew up within 30 miles of each other in WI, had a lot of the same hang out areas etc...and my dad was really glad I hadn't fallen in love with someone who was going to take me far away! :lol:

Susan Seaman
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
These are fun stories, especially for Valentine's Day.

I met my husband at work. We both worked for East Chemical, but I was working in Texas and he was working in Tennessee. Both of us were assigned as back-ups on a particular project that was a joint project between two labs. So I was introduced to him on a business trip to Tennessee in June 1989. My first impression was that he was cute and was a big flirt.

Then in August, unbeknownst to me, the guys on the project from Tennessee were visiting Texas on business. The main guy on the project in Texas had forgotten to tell me. He dropped by my office before lunch and said "The guys are here and we're going out to lunch." We didn't have enough room to drive in one car, so Terry rode with me. He asked me out for that evening. We then went out to breakfast , lunch and dinner the next day before he flew out, and when he returned to Tennessee, he called me and arranged for me to come spend a weekend with his parents in Knoxville. All of our dating was long-distance, and we got engaged on New Year's Day at the Cotton Bowl (our teams were playing each other). We got married in March.

It turns out that on the way to Texas that first time, his colleagues told Terry he was going to meet his future wife (they knew me from some previous business travels and thought I was a good match). Terry said they were crazy and that he would never date someone long distance because there were plenty of fish in Texas. He had to eat his words on the trip back.

Beatrice
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I met him in a gas station.

While in college I was a cashier. He was a customer.

Gas prices were cheap then but it would have still been good to have him for a friend in those days. He would borrow anybody and everybody's vehicles just to bring them up there to fill up. :lol:

Ginger Lynn
02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I met my DH the summer after my JR. year in High School. He was sitting about 5 people down from me at Church and I just knew that I had to meet him. I passed a note down to everyone on the row and asked them if they wanted to go to lunch after Church. We sat across from each other at lunch. That night I told a friend of his that he was the one I was going to marry. We have been together since that first day! We “dated” two and a half years only seeing each other on the weekend every 6 months because he traveled with his job. After that he moved to my home town and 3 years after we met, we got married and will be having our 23 anniversary this Oct! I am very blessed to have him.

Robin in Colorado
02-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Our friends were trying to fix us up. We had never met, and we both resisted being 'set up.'

Finally, my friend who was dating his roommate invited me to a basketball game to watch her boyfriend play. I didn't know it but my honey was also on the team.

It was a rec game, and unfortunately it got a little out of hand, and there was a fight among the teams. :blush: :lol:

So, the first time I saw him he was playing b-ball. The first time we saw each other, he was holding a cloth to his lip trying to stop the bleeding while talking to a police officer!

I didn't really expect him to notice me at that point.

But he did, and a few days later called me. On the fifth anniversary of our first date, he proposed. We've been married over 15 years. :D

Carol Ryan
02-03-2012, 04:13 PM
My dh and I went to the same smallish college (about 1200 students). He was from Louisiana and I was from Georgia. We knew of each other but didn't know each other. I went on a missions trip and when I came back, spoke in chapel about the experience. Dh decided he wanted to get to know that girl.

A few weeks later, the senior class held a Senior Slave Auction to raise funds for the senior trip. Mark was the auctioneer. I was a "slave" to be sold on the auction block. My girlfriend bid on me and Mark replied, "Shoot! I'll pay more for her than that!" And he did!

We began dating shortly after that auction, which was held in December, 1983, I think. We got engaged on Thanksgiving, 1984 and were married on July 20, 1985.

26 years and counting! :kiss:

CINDY LB OH
02-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Tim and I met the summer of 1986, working as camp counselors at a summer camp for people with disabilities.

I was determined not to get to know anyone real well, since I would have to say good-bye in just 3 months (I hate good-byes, and I had just said good-bye to my bestest ever college friends a few days before). We were put together as co-leaders for 2 weeks of a frontier camp, and so we spent a lot of planning time together on our days off.

He liked someone else at camp though. At the end of summer I went to NC for an internship, we kept in phone contact, he made me aware of a job at the same organization he worked for (which was the same camp organization where we met), I was hired for the job after my internship, we dated and were engaged in March of 1987, married in November of 1987.

WendyW
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I was 18 and in the Air Force. I was stationed in ND, and it was in April. As I headed for a shower in the dorm, a friend across the hall invited me to join her outside where she would be studying (in ND in April you spend EVERY possible minute outside!!). After my shower I did, and Sid was sitting on her blanket talking with her. I don't remember the subject, but I managed to start a good-natured fight between them and gave her my comb to use as a weapon!

The next day, Sid came back to my dorm looking for me. I had the door to my room open to get a cross-breeze, was sewing, and had Amy Grant playing loudly. Sid claims the domesticity and Amy was a trap I set for him. :lol: We were engaged a month later, married 6 months after that, and are on year 28 of marriage.

Cara in WA
02-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I love the stories, ladies! Beatrice, that made me laugh that he would come by the gas station with anyone's car just to fill up and see you! Esther, I love your C-130 story also! :)

Here's mine:

There was a guy named Micah who sat next to me in my college Spanish class. He was a freshman, like me, and school-poor (like me), except that I had a car. We hung out in a larger group of friends and went bowling and ate lunch and things like that.

Well, one day Micah was walking down his dorm hall-way and happened to look in an open door to see a guy getting ready to eat a birthday cake. He stuck his head in the door and said, "Hey, man, happy birthday!" They introduced themselves to each other and Micah and Rich shared some cake.

About a week later, a group of us and Micah were having lunch, and the birthday guy, Rich, strolled by our table. He said, "Anybody wanna go hug some kids?" He was recruiting people for a sidewalk Sunday-school program that he was in charge of, and was low on volunteers.

That was the first time I laid eyes on him, and I just kind of knew. As Gitel said, it was a bit of a process after that, but I just knew that he was the one at that moment.

Funny thing is that I had heard of him about a year before I met him! He was doing a fund-raising run for a missions trip to Peru and was supposed to have visited our church with the rest of our group, but was on drill that weekend. He was in the Army reserves at the time.

Let me tell you, he was clean-cut, had a spirit of gladness and vigor about him, was always joking and laughing, and was an ambitious, hard-working guy. Mm-hm, and he was seven years older than I was. I was telling my mom about him, and she asked me "Well, what about that other boy you were telling me about?" And I said, "That's just it, he's a boy, but this one is a MAN." :D

Best decision I ever made was to marry that man, and we'll celebrate 15 years this spring!

Cara in WA
02-03-2012, 05:22 PM
We met at college in IA, we were both checking each other out until he got his RA to introduce us. He said, "let's go meet your wife" and that's pretty much it.

Ahh, I love that! Inevitable at first sight! :lol:

KathleenM
02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
We met at a dumpster near our respective apartments. That really says it all, doesn't it? I know you are all jealous of my romantic story.

We still laugh about the dumpster of destiny, and even took our kids to see it once. We celebrated our 20th anniversary last October.

Cara in WA
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
We met at a dumpster near our respective apartments. That really says it all, doesn't it? I know you are all jealous of my romantic story.

We still laugh about the dumpster of destiny, and even took our kids to see it once. We celebrated our 20th anniversary last October.

:lol: That is awesome, Kathleen! I love that you took a pilgrimage back, too! Great story! :lol:

Alicia
02-03-2012, 06:45 PM
I was a freshman attending Bowling Green State University in Ohio, as was dh at the time, and we were both involved with Campus Crusade for Christ. We did not know each other and had never met. All during freshmen year, the staff members of Campus Crusade were trying to match us up. One of the female staff members asked me if I wanted to go out with a football player named Jeff, and one of the male staff members asked dh if he wanted to go out with me. However, both of us were dating other people back home, so we said no. By Christmas of sophomore year, we still hadn't met, but we had both broken up with our former boy/girl friends, and unbeknownst to each other, we both decided to attend the CC for C Christmas Conference in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. The first day at the conference, {which had hundreds of kids}, we were told that we were being divided into groups, and each girls group would be meeting with another boys group to get to know them. Our girls group walked into the room and we were told to each match up with one of the guys in the room. Everyone quickly found someone, leaving dh and I to match up with one another. We spent the time asking each other questions, and were able to spend more time getting to know each other during the conference. When we got back to college after Christmas vacation, dh called to ask me on a date. We were engaged two years later, married 7 months after that, and have been married 33 1/2 years!!

Paige P
02-03-2012, 06:49 PM

We'd told each other what we were driving and just found each other in the parking lot. Absolutely CRAZY, I know, but we'd been writing for 2 weeks, and we both KNEW, just KNEW that there was something special there. Since we never really *had* to see each other, we both just wrote the absolute truth about likes/dislikes/wants/wishes in life, in marriage, with children, etc. Emailing to get to know each other was so freeing. The next week (after seeing him 1 time in person), I was getting ready to go to Atlanta (we met there because my sister lived there, and it was easy to meet up there). I got an email from him the day before I was to leave. When I read that email, I "heard" God talking to my heart -- literally. Yes, I know it's odd, but His voice in my heart said, "Paige, THIS is the man you're going to marry." Jim said he stepped off the plane, saw me, and immediately KNEW that I was THE ONE for him. :)

... We've been married for over 13 years and have 6 children (plus another on the way.) He is the best man I've ever known. Our marriage has been full of God's mercies and grace!

I caught that, Jenny :D Congratulations :clap:

I
I said,"My uncle flew those in Vietnam."
He said,"Mine, too."
I said,"What's your uncle's name?" (It IS the south after all!)

:lol: Had to laugh at that one :)

We got married 10 months later - I was barely 17 and he had just turned 20.

And we lived happily ever after.....

Joy, you were so young! I knew you were young, but I didn't know you got married THAT young!!!!!

I He would borrow anybody and everybody's vehicles just to bring them up there to fill up. :lol:

:lol:

CJ
02-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I was a sophomore musician at a jazz festival and on the stage was a freshman playing an incredible version of "Misty". The whole room stopped for me, I heard nothing but the music and was immediately drawn to this tenor-saxophonist. I wasn't sure if it was the music or the player.

Fast forward 4 years. Our jazz choir was invited to the World's Fair in Vancouver, B.C. We needed a sax player for our side band. Our trumpet player (whom I was dating) said he knew of a great saxophone player from his high school that had just graduated. We spent a month picking this guy up and bringing him to rehearsals. It was the *SAME* guy!!

So now it's July and we're in Vancouver, B.C. I've broken up with the trumpet player and decided not to pay any attention to men - just focus on my music. One night I see him wander off and out of concern I followed to make sure he was okay and not sick or anything. We roamed around the docks of the houseboats we were staying on and talked and talked for a couple of hours. At the end of the evening, he took my face in his hands and kissed me and told me I was beautiful.
:eek:

The next day I wasn't sure if he was sincere so I kept my distance. A group of us were going on rides and I ended up getting into a large bucket thing that pulls you up 50 feet and drops you. He was the person that got in behind me. On the way down I really screamed and honestly couldn't help grabbing him and hanging on for dear life (so embarrassing, I know). When the ride slowed down I look up at him to apologize and he kissed me. Serious fireworks and a feeling that you'd met your other half. :kiss:

That was that. My parents knew something was up when I came back from Canada unable to eat or sleep. A couple of weeks later, we were watching the Jerry Lewis telethon and the all-star band he was part of that year started playing their songs on tv. They claim I jumped straight up and over the back of the couch and starting yelling, "There he is! There he is!" That was how they knew it was likely this would be there future son-in-law.
:D

By the time it had been a month, I knew that if he wanted to marry me - the answer was definitely yes. We still can't wait to see each other at the end of every day and it just doesn't seem possible that we've been together for 25 years. Time has just flown by and it feels like we're still newlyweds. Our kids think we're embarrassing. :lol:

Heather B in MS
02-03-2012, 07:15 PM
We meet when I was a few weeks old and him a few months. :lol: Well, it's completly possible. His great-grandmother was my first babysitter.

We officially met in high school. We both took a physics class that was taught by a communiy college professor. Our high school and cc shared a campus. The class was on the college side and he would carry my books for me to my next class. We broke up.

Later, we were both attending that community college, and he was in a car that stopped so I could cross the street. He was friends with my cousin's husband. Told them he wanted to date me again. We went out for doube date with them. He drove me home and we sat in my driveway talking into the wee hours. He asked me to marry him the summer before I went to university. We were engaged for 2 years and married 2 weeks after I graduated.

Laura F
02-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Well, I met my dh on my first and last blind date. I grew up in a Navy family so I was determined not to marry someone in the military, and my mother had specifically told me to stay away from Navy Seals and pilots in general. So... I married a Marine pilot instead. (He still flies C-130s, Esther.) :D

He was finishing up OCS in Quantico, VA, and starting another school when my neighbor convinced me to try a date. I had resisted her attempts to fix me up quite a few times, but she highly recommended Ryan--he and her dh shared a bunk bed (2 beds, not 1 bed. Is that a bunk?) at OCS. Anyway, my future dh had earned an invitation to the commandant of the Marine Corps' 4th of July reception, he needed a date, and I thought it would be interesting/exciting to attend a fancy DC reception. I bought a Laura Ashley dress (it was 1997) and a service etiquette book, and we met the commandant, the secretary of defense, and the sergeant major. (I'm pretty sure they don't remember us.)

Ryan left for flight school in August; in October he took temporary orders to Andrews AFB just to be close to where I was living. I insisted that he live with my grandmother an hour away from me, and we were engaged just after New Year's 1998. He went back to Pensacola, and my parents & I planned the wedding in Norfolk for September. Our honeymoon was a 2-day drive back to Florida because he started a new school on Tuesday.

It took me a few months to know I would marry him, but my grandmother apparently asked him when he planned to propose the very first night that he stayed at her house. He never told me that until after she died a few years ago, but that sounds exactly like her. Coincidentally when I first took dh to meet my grandmother, she told us she had known the commandant when he was a little boy and that his mother considered my uncle a bad influence on him. Too bad we didn't have that story for small talk on the 4th....

stacy z
02-03-2012, 08:50 PM
the first time i saw my dh, i was sitting in church with my parents when the pastor introduced new members. he walked up to the front and my mom gave me a swift elbow in the ribs, "who is THAT?". "i don't know, mom." "well, you should find out! he's cute!" :eyes:

a few months later we officially met in a small group Bible study for singles at our church, but he was very quiet and hardly talked to me....

after our group's christmas party, we all decided to take a ride and look at christmas lights around the city. i wound up in his car and that was the first time he really *talked* to me. before the next christmas, we were married! :D

Angela Paige
02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
What fun to read all these stories! I've enjoyed each and every one of them. :yes:

Some of you might remember my story with Jon ... after all, we've only been married 13 months! :lol:

After my divorce, I wasn't sure that I would want to date or marry ... but I knew that if I ever did that I wanted God to write my love story. So I began to pray and over the course of several weeks, God gave me quite a long list of qualities to look for ... the first one was a man that would pray with me and for me daily. The last one was a man who would ask me if he could kiss me the first time instead of just taking my affections without my permission.

I met Jon online through Christian Mingle (a Christian dating website). Jon contacted me in late April 2009. We chatted and exchanged emails.

In July, I was going to Jon's hometown with a close friend. Jon asked if he could meet me in person, so we decided to meet up for dinner with my friend and my kids in tow! :lol: When we left the restaurant, Joel (who was 9 at the time) told me that he thought I should definitely date Jon, and my friend Josephine said that she believed he would ask me out on an official date.

He did ask me out ... in late Oct! :lol:

Actually, we spent a lot of time emailing and talking on the phone between July and October. As I got to know Jon, I was discovering how he fulfilled all of those things on my God-given list.

One night on the phone, Jon said to me that he would like for us to begin dating. And then he said that wanted to pray with me, and that if the two of us would pray together often that God would help us to be wise in this relationship no matter where it went. :hcry: I got this electric shock as I realized this was as if God had put the prayer in my heart to ask for a man who would pray with me and then He gave me the answer to that prayer.

I could go on and on about how God revealed to me that Jon was the man I should marry, but it is suffice to say that in the end it was as if God had given me a perfect description of Jon, right down to our very sweet second first kiss (but that's a long story for another time! :lol: ). We were engaged in Oct. 2010 and married on Dec. 31, 2010.

Despite illness and two near death experiences, Jon's given me the best 13 months of my life!

Paige

Ginger Lynn
02-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Angela Paige~That brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful story.

molly in cr
02-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I met him in a gas station.

While in college I was a cashier. He was a customer.

Gas prices were cheap then but it would have still been good to have him for a friend in those days. He would borrow anybody and everybody's vehicles just to bring them up there to fill up. :lol:

:lol::lol:

Did you get a picture in front of the dumpster? :)

I don't specifically remember the first time I saw my husband, he was one of the 'cool' kids in middle school, but he did sit next to me for one day in science class before I was moved to a different class. The next year, in high school, he sat behind me in drama class. We talked and flirted for a semester and when my parents moved me to a private school, he dropped out of school. Said there was no reason to go after I left. :eyes:

We started dating when I was 15. Half of the three years we dated we were apart, through him joining the military, summer trips for me to Bolivia, then Canada. Desert Storm, a semester away for college for me. We got married when I was 18, he was 20. This May will be 20 years.

Sometimes I wonder how things would have been different if we had stayed together in Science class that year instead of waiting another year to get to know each other.

Sheryl in NH
02-03-2012, 10:35 PM
:lol::roflol::lol: Not jealous, but highly entertained Kathleen!

:eek: Most of you all met and married so quickly!

:eek: I agree! I can't even imagine moving that quickly, but then again, my story is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

DH and I met when I was in 4th grade and we were in the same Sunday School class. He thought I was a flake (I was) and I thought he was funny but annoying (he was - honestly, he even admits it - the kid used to angle his watch to intentionally blind the teacher by reflecting sunlight into her eyes:crazy:).

We were both part of a great group of kids that grew up together in that church and by high school we (the group) had traveled extensively together and we spent every weekend happily goofing off as only teens can do.

We eventually realized the obvious at the tail end of high school and dated for 5 years while I finished college and had major surgery.

I now live happily ever after with my best friend :D

Moral of this story - Be nice to the annoying kid in your 9 year old's Sunday School class, you might be his mother-in-law some day. :lol:

Anne
02-03-2012, 11:53 PM
I saw my dh for the first time at drill. He was in the Army Reserves, and I had joined. I thought he looked mighty fine in his uniform. Didn't talk to him because he seemed out of my league. A friend (who was not in the army and didn't know I had seen him) set us up on a sort of a blind date. I was so humiliated, she drug me to his house to meet him. She was very pushy! I had also seen him at the restaurant he worked at. He said he thought I was out of his league, which is so laughable. So we went out on that date (which was a birthday party for me and another girl--loosely). We were inseparable after that. That was July 11, 1992. We were married February 14, 1993. He says he picked Valentine's Day so he wouldn't forget our anniversary, and so he wouldn't have to buy 2 gifts. Whatever. He definitely speaks the love language of gifts! Almost 19 years!

hollyjean
02-04-2012, 12:49 AM
9 years ago TODAY (Feb 4th) I talked with my dh on the phone for the first time. He was putting together a mission trip to go to India for the year and had gotten my number from a friend. It was crazy that I even picked up the phone because at the time I was in my last semester in college and doing my internship. I worked the night shift at a teen homeless shelter and was sleeping when he called in the middle of the day. I usually ignored the phone during my sleep time...but that time...I didn't! I got off my loft, answered the phone (on the wall...didn't have cell phone yet lol)...and had an immediate connection even though all I knew about him was he had a heart for India to know Jesus. I remember thinking, "who is this person with such a southern accent?!" He was from Indy and I lived in MI. Now I can't hear the accent...but back then it was sooo noticeable to my ears. We started talking over the next month...by our third conversation I knew I was going to marry him...we met a month later at a team get together in Bloomington...started dating...engaged four months later and married six months after that...Here we are...8 years married... 4 kids later...and very blessed :)

Renelle
02-04-2012, 02:05 AM
We both went to a residential youth leadership school like YWAM (Youth With A Mission) through the Salvation Army. When I walked into the main building for the first time and saw him I thought '......WOW he's tall, dark and handsome. Could I look at that for the rest of my life?....' Then I shook myself and thought where on earth did that thought come from, as it was very uncharacteristic in my mind and the last thing I was looking for. The over 9 months we came great friends had a lot of fun. We both new after 2 months of knowing each other that we would be together forever.
Known each other 17 years and married for 16. (he was 23 and I was 21)

Love him to death!

Renelle

Dawn Gilmore
02-04-2012, 03:48 AM
I have no memory of our first meeting, but my husband's side of the story, was that we were on brother/sister wings in college, and so shared a table in the cafeteria. He was being obnoxious, and I told him he had an attitude problem, that he needed to grow up and get over himself. (Like I said, I have no memory of this ;) ) Needless to say, we weren't close in college. However, his best friend married my room-mate. After college, they lived about 2 hours from me, and I would go to visit them when I had a weekend off. So I had stayed in touch with them, and so had he... they reintroduced us, and we had a long-distance relationship (real letters, no such thing as e-mail back then) got to know each other, and were married a year and a week after they re-introduced us... (and yes, he'd grown up and gotten over himself in the intervening 4 or 5 years ;))

We'll celebrate our 22nd anniversary this summer.

Marcia
02-04-2012, 09:00 AM
I was in Bible College and thought I had met the man I was going to marry. He and I dated off and on as he came and went from different missionary trips.

I decided to go to YWAM and do a DTS school. While there I met Lewis, and we became friends. One night a girlfriend and I were going to a laundry mat to do some laundry. Lewis wasn't doing anything, so we asked him if he wanted to come along. I remember just liking him more and more the more time I spent with him.

He knew I wanted to marry this other guy, but that didn't seem to stop him from pursing me. Those months at YWAM, I struggled back-and-forth with my feeling for Lewis. He just flat out told me he wanted to marry me. After YWAM was over, he came back to my home town and lived for 6 months. He was on a one year visa from New Zealand.

At the end of his time in the USA, I thought, "Are you willing to let this guy get on a plane and never see him again?" My answer was no. I wanted him in my live forever. We got engaged and he left to go back to NZ. We spend 5 months apart, then I move there and we got married six weeks after I arrived.

The other guy came back just before Lewis left for NZ, and I knew without a doubt that I had made the right decision for me. We've been married 22 years, and he is the best guy I know!:kiss:

Christi in VA
02-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Almost as impressive as Kathleen, and not nearly as spiritual or holy as the rest of you, my dh and I met in a country bar in Sept 1997, married 5 months later, just to beat the Army's timeframe for deployment. We spent half of our first year separated and found out around our first anniversary that we would be expecting. We celebrate 14 years this month!

Paige P
02-04-2012, 10:20 AM

You know, RJ, I remembered that the Friday/Saturday before we met in person on Sunday, we managed to email pictures (scan in and email -- no digital photography back then ;) ), so we actually had seen pictures a day or two before we met in person :)

I grew up in a Navy family so I was determined not to marry someone in the military, and my mother had specifically told me to stay away from Navy Seals and pilots in general. So... I married a Marine pilot instead. (He still flies C-130s, Esther.) :D

:lol: I grew up around the military (my dad was civil service working for the Army in Europe), and I ALWAYS said I'd NEVER, EVER EVER marry someone in the military. Never say never, right? My friends teased me mercilessly about that. I had no excuse -- I knew just what I was getting into when I married into the Navy ;)

Joy in Alabama
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM

We know Paige IRL and her story has been such an encouragement to my older dd who is 26 and hasn't found Mr. Right yet (she's only met frogs so far! :lol:).

I love reading all your stories, especially the part where you tell how long you've been married and how much you love your dh. It's very sweet and encouraging!

Esther-Alabama
02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
So... I married a Marine pilot instead. (He still flies C-130s, Esther.) :D

:clap::clap::clap:

Faith
02-04-2012, 11:55 AM
So much fun reading this thread!! Thanks for starting it :kiss:

I met my husband at a friends Birthday party. Her name? Love ;)

She had been one of my roommates the fall semester of my Sophomore year of college. She had to stay home in the Spring for health reasons. I stopped to attend her party on the way back to school from Spring break.

There were two guys at the party who were not in a relationship (and I was the only girl not in a relationship) I talked with both of them, but when it came time to dance . . . DH was the one who danced with me. We then sat together at the restaurant and on the way home in the car. Both of us came home from the party feeling like we'd been on a date :)

The next day, I spent time talking with Love and asking her everything she knew about him. He was pretty shy - she encouraged me to call him. He worked at a moving company with the fiance of another girl at the party. We got her in on it, and she called us when he got in from work. So, I called and asked if he would like to get together again before I went back to school. He did, and we spent hours talking and getting to know one another.

We dated long distance for a year (2 hour drive - one of us made it every weekend!) , and he proposed on the anniversary of the weekend we met. We got married 16 months after that (once I graduated from college) We'll be married 20 years in July.

Julie Z
02-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I met my husband when I was 12 and he had just turned 17. He was my older brother's best friend at his new high school and he started hanging around our house to work on my brother's race car. He started traveling with my family every weekend to the races, in our motorhome for long trips and staying in hotels with us. We kind of just grew up together. I think we both secretly liked each other and because we spent all our time with my family, my parents let me start "dating" him when I turned 15 and we got engaged on my 18th birthday. He moved away to college, then when he graduated and moved home, I moved away to college. So we decided that 5 years of long-distance dating was long enough, so we got married after my sophomore year of college when I turned 20. Boy, was I the strange girl at my small college who was already married! We will soon celebrated our 12th anniversary. What I always think is strange is that we have now been a couple for more than half my life, and I am only 31!

ShelleyW
02-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I met my dh on the one and only blind date I ever went on. :) A friend from work (who is now married to his brother) said she wanted me to meet him. I did NOT want to go b/c it was a blind date after all and I didn't know that I trusted her judgement. She kept telling me that we had a lot in common and that she just knew I would like him.

My aunt convinced me to go so I did. On our first real date, he came to pick me up at my aunt and uncle's house - I was renting a room from them at the time - and as I walked out the door to go to dinner with him, my aunt told me that he was the man I would marry. I just rolled my eyes. :roflol:

10 months later, we were engaged and we married 10 months after that. We were ready to be married just a few months after we met but worried that our parents would disapprove so we waited a while until we couldn't take it anymore!!!:clap: We have been married 16 years and have 5 children. He is still my bff!!!

TinaM
02-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I was 15yo and on a double date with my best friend. He went to highschool with her boyfriend and he got us into the theater for free.

Heidi J
02-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't remember. :unsure: We went to church together. I heard about him long before I saw him. We had no interest in each other. I had to have been in 6th and he was in 9th grade. It wasn't until I was 17 that we became friends. We both had the lead in the a play at church. The parts we played required us to spend time together during practice. We spent a lot of time talking while the rest of the cast practiced. We had so much fun together. It was another year before he thought of me as anything more than my sister's little sister. We both knew within a month that we would get married. We married 2-1/2 years later.

Just asked dh. He said he was in 7th grade when he started going to church. No wonder I don't remember him. I was in 4th. I met his parents before I knew him. I don't know why but his parents came to my 16th birthday party and he didn't.

Thirty-six years ago, January 17th, my preacher invited David to a church service on a Saturday night.

I took a double take when I saw the day you met. That was the day I was born! :lol:

Joy in Alabama
02-04-2012, 07:04 PM
I took a double take when I saw the day you met. That was the day I was born! :lol:

Whoa! I feel ancient! :eek:

Heidi J
02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Whoa! I feel ancient! :eek:

:blush: I thought it was :cool: you both met that day.

Joy in Alabama
02-05-2012, 07:49 AM
:blush: I thought it was :cool: you both met that day.

It's very :cool::cool::cool:, Heidi! Thank you for sharing. It's interesting to think that babies are being born when important things are happening in our life and it's cool to actually know one! :thumb:

Nancy Ann
02-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Such a fun idea ladies!:clap::)

I was 26 and my husband was 28 when we met. I was a single mother to a beautiful little boy who was 5 at the time. I had a difficult past but was determined to live my life for the Lord (even with my mistakes) but wasn't sure if I could meet a good Christian man who could see past all my mistakes. I sort of felt like I had " STAY AWAY, TROUBLE!!" written all over me!! However, I knew and God knew my heart and love for Him and my family was very strong.

I met my husband online in a group for a church we both belonged to called " The Church of Christ." I lived in North Dakota and he lived in California. When I heard David talk online he was so full of grace! He was so understanding of people's sin and God's love and grace.

I went to check our profiles that this website had you fill out before joining. They were nearly exactly the same!! Interests, hobbies, important things. So, I paid a little more attention to him and he paid more attention to me!

This encounter first happened in January. We talked on the phone and online for a few months. We met in person in the Twin Cities for the first time in May. In June he met my family and my son Isaac. In July I flew out to meet his family. We were married in November. :lol: Than I took my little son and we moved all the way out to California.

We have been married for 11 years.

We have endured alot! The death of our son to cancer, the death of my sister, the year long mistreatment at a church, an adoption that went really bad, missing my family and me living so far from my home, not getting along with his family and nearly being asked to never come back again!

However, the two of us and our children have had tons of laughter, love, good times, family memories, too many trips to Disneyland I can't even count! We have had a miracle baby named Mary Beth and God has led us to the Orthodox church where we have spiritual peace and with wonderful people who love and support us.

Jennifer in VA
02-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Moral of this story - Be nice to the annoying kid in your 9 year old's Sunday School class, you might be his mother-in-law some day. :lol:

Okay, the funny thing is, I look at the girls my kids age and wonder sometimes if one of them will be their spouse and am thankful that I like the kids and their parents!

Lindsey Carter
02-05-2012, 06:03 PM
These stories are great! Here is mine: I met my dh, Chris, at a college dorm event, “find your roommate a date”! Chris was actually attending Central Bible college and I was at a different Christian University in the same town, Evangel, but dh roommate was dating a girl in our dorm. This girl was friends with my roommate and they both thought that we would be perfect for each other. I guess they were right!

The event, a hay ride and bon fire, was canceled do to rain, but a group of friends decided to go out for pizza instead. I said that I didn’t know if I should go and that I didn’t really do blind dates. My friends assured me that it was just pizza and he wasn’t looking for anything serious. :lol:

We had pizza and talked about our recent missions experiences. After dinner the group went to a movie at the dollar theater. His roomie had to leave early so I drove dh home to his apartment. On the way back we talked about CS Lewis and apologetics. He was impressed and so was I!

About a week later he called me during his birthday party and aske me out! That was in October. When he left for Christmas break I prayed a lot about him and that he would either break things off right away or we would get married. In April I could tell that I had fallen in love with him and prayed about if we should get married. The next time I saw him he felt like God told him to ask me about marriage! He officially proposed and gave me a ring in June. We were married in Dec, 13 months after we had met. I was 21 and he was 22 and we were both still in college. We’ve had a wonderful 13 years together. My life gets crazy and we’ve been thrown a lot of curve balls, but I can count on my dh to be there by my side loving me no matter what. I am truly blessed! :D

Cara in WA
02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
These stories are great! Here is mine: I met my dh, Chris, at a college dorm event, “find your roommate a date”! Chris was actually attending Central Bible college and I was at a different Christian University in the same town, Evangel, but dh roommate was dating a girl in our dorm. This girl was friends with my roommate and they both thought that we would be perfect for each other. I guess they were right!

Lindsay, my hubby and I met at Central Bible College! It was 1997. :)

JennLove
02-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Scott and I met at Universtiy of Washington. He was best friends with a guy in my Bible Study and would come play basketball with my study every week. I noticed he was cute and a great player ;) but I was dating a guy I had been seeing for a couple years. Eventually my high school bf and I broke up. And then I found myself thinking about Scott a lot :)

One day there was someone I didn't know in one of my friend's rooms. I saw her come out and asked "Who was that?" She replied "Oh, that's Scott's girlfriend." :eek: I was disappointed, I hadn't known he was dating anyone!

A while later he was in my dorm room with another friend playing Nintendo (everyone came over to play my video games) and I was talking to another girlfriend of mine and said something about "...my stupid ex-boyfriend..." Scott immediately said "EX?" :lol: Apparently he had been thinking about me too! He had actually broken up with his girlfriend too.

We still didn't start dating for a few months and then were a bit on/off. We got engaged a little less than 18 months later and were married 7 months after that. I had just turned 21 and he was 22. We'll celebrate our 15th anniversary this June!

Miranda
02-05-2012, 10:32 PM
This is probably silly to even say but I feel funny adding my story. Really that doesnt even make sense because I still have a love story and I still love him so here I go....Brian and I went to the same high school. He is 3 years older than me. We saw each other a few times in school but I dont really remember.

The summer before my senior year he went to Georgia with his friends. They were going to move down that way and were looking for work. They were talking one night and Brian said if he ever settled down it would be with someone like me. Granted we only made small talk a time or two. Which he remembers, I dont. He told them that I was the kind of girl that had it all and he could totally see himself married to me. At this point he still called me the girl with the nice butt. :lol:

They ended up only being gone for a few weeks and came back to home. On their way back he thought about me and told himself he would try to get into contact with me. The day they got back into town, literally just got off the exit, I drove by them on my way to the gas station down the road from my house. He beeped and waved. When I walked in the door my phone rang. He asked me out on a date. We spent the whole summer together. It honestly was the best summer of my life. :hcry:

We were married in November. I was 17 and he was 20. I wish I could say we will live happily ever after but truthfully I dont know. I would go back and do a lot different but I do love him. :)

Carol Ryan
02-06-2012, 01:33 AM

:D

Lindsey, the college my dh and I were attending at the time was a sister college to Evangel: Southeastern College, which is now Southeastern University. :)

Lindsey Carter
02-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Lindsay, my hubby and I met at Central Bible College! It was 1997. :)

That is the same year we met! Small world! What is your dh name?

Lindsey Carter
02-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Lindsey, the college my dh and I were attending at the time was a sister college to Evangel: Southeastern College, which is now Southeastern University. :)

I know that school. My dh was offered a job there, but we were already called to the mission field and on our way to the Philippines.

Cara in WA
02-06-2012, 09:33 AM
That is the same year we met! Small world! What is your dh name?

Rich Schaus. He was a missions major, too. I'll have to find the yearbooks now and see if I can find any pictures!

Loralin
02-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I was "running away" from several marriage proposals. I went to Canada where it was far enough away from my hopeful suitors, plus the Canadian dollar was less than ours. ;) I went to a Discipleship Training School (DTS) with Youth With a Mission (YWAM). I had no interest in relationships. I was tired of being friendly to anyone as it always seemed to end up with a proposal!:lol:

When I first met Mike, he was a long haired hippy!:lol: I had NO interest in him at all! Over the next three months, I got to know him and his heart better. The funny thing was, that it wasn't until he got a haircut and a shave that I did a double-take!

A DTS is an intense teaching time for three months; then a mission trip. We started being interested in each other at the end of the teaching time. He went to Mexico on a mission trip and I went to Israel for six months. We wrote to each other while apart and just grew closer. However, since I was still leary of men, it took us almost four years before we actually got married. He lived in Canada, and I lived in Washington. We made the long distant relationship relationship work despite the four hour drives! We have been married just over 20 years. He is my bff and was truly worth the wait!:kiss: