PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else homeschooling a blind or seriously visually impaired child

Jen in AL
02-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. I've been able to connect with a couple of other moms online that are hsing their VI children, but I still feel so alone. My dd3 is both VI and developmentally delayed due to institutionalization. (She spent the first two years of her life in an orphanage in China.) So I'm dealing with a couple of issues here, and just really struggling lately with the loneliness of it. I have wonderful IRL friends, but, again, they aren't dealing with the things that I am. Hope I don't sound like I'm having a pity party, but I just want to know that someone out there understands.

CINDY LB OH
02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi Jen. I don't have a visually-impaired child, but I looked at your blog and wanted to say that you are doing a wonderful job with your dd.

I've worked with visually-impaired children in the past, and you are providing a creatively stimulating environment for her. The fact that you spend time doing so many hand-over-hand activities with her is wonderful.

I just wanted to encourage you. My child isn't VI, but I know what it's like to be the only family in your homeschool group with a child who has learning disabilities. It is hard, and I often feel alone too.

You are doing a great job :clap: and you can always come here to share.

Jen in AL
02-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Thank you so much for your encouraging words and for taking time to look at my blog. I am often reading books and researching online to educate myself on how to help my daughter. She may be able to read large print, but she still needs to learn Braille so her eyes won't get too tired. So I am currently taking an introductory Braille course.

Hi Jen. I don't have a visually-impaired child, but I looked at your blog and wanted to say that you are doing a wonderful job with your dd.

I've worked with visually-impaired children in the past, and you are providing a creatively stimulating environment for her. The fact that you spend time doing so many hand-over-hand activities with her is wonderful.

I just wanted to encourage you. My child isn't VI, but I know what it's like to be the only family in your homeschool group with a child who has learning disabilities. It is hard, and I often feel alone too.

You are doing a great job :clap: and you can always come here to share.

Mary FL
02-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Jennifer, I don't have a VI child, but wanted to give you a :group:.

Jen in AL
02-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Jennifer, I don't have a VI child, but wanted to give you a :group:.

Thank you. I can always use those. :)

Trish A
03-07-2012, 11:33 AM
I read this thread last time I checked this board and I wanted to respond to it, but I guess I've been in denial about Seth's vision issues. Obviously I knew that he has Cortical Visual Impairment, but his vision seemed/seems so restored at times...then the other night we took the kids to a Veggie Tales stage show and it wasn't until pics started showing up on the back of my camera, getting Seth all excited, that I realized that he couldn't see the stage.

I don't have any strategies to share about homeschooling him, frankly he and I are in survival mode mostly at this point...6 therapy appts a week plus all of his care, but just wanted to say you are not alone here.

Can't wait to check out your blog!

Jen in AL
03-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I read this thread last time I checked this board and I wanted to respond to it, but I guess I've been in denial about Seth's vision issues. Obviously I knew that he has Cortical Visual Impairment, but his vision seemed/seems so restored at times...then the other night we took the kids to a Veggie Tales stage show and it wasn't until pics started showing up on the back of my camera, getting Seth all excited, that I realized that he couldn't see the stage.

I don't have any strategies to share about homeschooling him, frankly he and I are in survival mode mostly at this point...6 therapy appts a week plus all of his care, but just wanted to say you are not alone here.

Can't wait to check out your blog!

:group: I have found these two sites to be very helpful:

http://www.wonderbaby.org/

http://www.hadley.edu/default.asp This school offers FREE courses for parents of visually impaired children. I have completed the Learning Through Play course and I'm currently taking the Introductory Braille course.

Katherine in CA
03-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Jen, I too read your blog and want to give you a big :clap: for all that you're doing! :thumb:

My dd, now grown, had a visual processing problem, aided by therapy. Nothing like you're dealing with, but I did run across some excellent free services in which you might be interested, although you probably have found these already:

http://www.learningally.org/ (Formerly called "Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic")

http://www.loc.gov/nls/ National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS): Through a national network of cooperating libraries, NLS administers a free library program of braille and audio materials circulated to eligible borrowers in the United States by postage-free mail.

There are probably many more services like these, but I thought I'd mention them, just in case. Bless you! :group:

Jen in AL
03-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Jen, I too read your blog and want to give you a big :clap: for all that you're doing! :thumb:

My dd, now grown, had a visual processing problem, aided by therapy. Nothing like you're dealing with, but I did run across some excellent free services in which you might be interested, although you probably have found these already:

http://www.learningally.org/ (Formerly called "Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic")

http://www.loc.gov/nls/ National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS): Through a national network of cooperating libraries, NLS administers a free library program of braille and audio materials circulated to eligible borrowers in the United States by postage-free mail.

There are probably many more services like these, but I thought I'd mention them, just in case. Bless you! :group:

Thank you. We just received another diagnosis this past week: intellectual disability and small head circumference. I've known this in my heart for a while, but now it's confirmed...in black & white...something else that we will have to process and work through

Esther-Alabama
03-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Thank you. We just received another diagnosis this past week: intellectual disability and small head circumference. I've known this in my heart for a while, but now it's confirmed...in black & white...something else that we will have to process and work through

:group: I'm sorry about the news. Knowing is different from having it in black and white and I know that hurts.

My dyslexic ds uses Learning Ally as well for audio books. I remember using some resources from the School for the blind for patient I had once as a nurse at Children's. I wish I could remember the names, but I wonder if they would be any help to you for resources to use at home with Rinnah. I also got TONS of help at the United cerebral Palsy office in Huntsville. I wonder if you could call the office in Mobile and see if you could go for a consultation. They were very pro homeschooling in Huntsville ...ll really they were just focused on meeting ds where he was, so they helped me find assistive technology for him to use at home. TASC is the part of the UCP I met with in Huntsville. Here is their website.

http://www.ucptasc.org/

Jen in AL
04-01-2012, 12:51 PM
:group: I'm sorry about the news. Knowing is different from having it in black and white and I know that hurts.

My dyslexic ds uses Learning Ally as well for audio books. I remember using some resources from the School for the blind for patient I had once as a nurse at Children's. I wish I could remember the names, but I wonder if they would be any help to you for resources to use at home with Rinnah. I also got TONS of help at the United cerebral Palsy office in Huntsville. I wonder if you could call the office in Mobile and see if you could go for a consultation. They were very pro homeschooling in Huntsville ...ll really they were just focused on meeting ds where he was, so they helped me find assistive technology for him to use at home. TASC is the part of the UCP I met with in Huntsville. Here is their website.

http://www.ucptasc.org/

Thank you, Esther.

Cori
04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Katherine, thanks for the link to Learning Ally site for my dyslexic son (I think he is, no official dx). Jen, I admire your attitude and enthusiasm in helping your daughter. I hope you find the support from other moms going through the same things. It can be lonely to be a parent doing things differently from others.

:group: