PDA

View Full Version : son "has to go," but can't

Rebe
02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
My ds (10) about once a month has a feeling in his p*nis that he desperately has to go to the bathroom, right after he's just gone. It's very uncomfortable. It seems to happen right before he goes to bed at night. He keeps getting out of bed to go, but there's nothing there.

He says it doesn't burn or feel painful when he urinates.

Any ideas what this could be? I know what UTI symptoms are for a girl, but I have no idea of bladder/elimination problems in a boy. And the uncomfortable feeling isn't in his bladder, anyway.

He had a can of grape soda and a half a glass of lemonade while he watched the Superbowl, and then went to bed right after. Could it just be too much liquid in his bladder? :unsure:

Kendra AU
02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Well.. My ds has complained of this a few times over the year {he's also 10} I found it concerning, so when it happened while dh was home I asked him about it. He, dh, insisted it was a normal guy thing while growing up as long as it didn't happen ALL the time kinda thing. Generally getting our son to relax and/or drink more fluids puts it all to rest.

Cindy in CA
02-05-2012, 10:38 PM
My guess would be that it is not bladder related, but pressure that he is feeling that I'm guessing is....... um related more to pre-purberty type of pressure. Do you know what I am trying to say?
My 10 yo sometimes tells me he has that type of discomfort, or pressure. :unsure: Just my uneducated guess based on having two boys of my own.

:)

Nancy Ann
02-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm guessing is....... um related more to pre-purberty type of pressure. Do you know what I am trying to say?

You make me smile Cindy!!:)

This is all good to know since my son is about to turn 10 soon!

Rebe - the header for this thread had me quite concerned about you throwing your son out of the house or some thing like that!!:lol: :)

Rebe
02-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Cindy, I had thought of this, too. I know exactly what you mean.

Rebe - the header for this thread had me quite concerned about you throwing your son out of the house or some thing like that!!:lol: :)

:lol: Actually, this is the son that I have never, ever considered that possibility. ;) He's my easy-to-live-with son. :)

Now I'm thinking it could be related to a mild anxiety or nervousness. This morning he came into my bedroom saying he had been awake since 3 a.m. This is kind of unusual for him, but it has happened a few times in the past few months. It may be related to pre-adolescent hormones. I'm thinking this is likely all part of the same issue, but "normal" for his age.

Also last night my guys (dh and three boys) ate tons of junk food. Way more than we would ever normally have (thank you, Super Bowl. :eyes: ). I don't know about my oldest ds, but dh and my two younger boys ALL reported huge sleep problems last night. Coincidence? I think not.

Nancy Ann
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Also last night my guys (dh and three boys) ate tons of junk food. Way more than we would ever normally have (thank you, Super Bowl. :eyes: ).

I have half a pan of brownies and quite a few chocolate chip cookies and a bag of chips leftover!!:eyes: I meant to send stuff home with people but was too worn out to divide things up!

I think all you say about your son with hormones and such is probably right on.

Cindy in CA
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, all the chemicals from the junk food will certainly mess with sleep. Also all the excitement and stimulation. Both my boys have sleep disturbances if there is a lot of stimulation the day before. Me too! Yes, I think it is all related and your boy is just fine. ;)

stacy z
02-06-2012, 11:12 AM
turn 10 soon!

that is what i thought, too! :roflol:

sorry, i don't have any advice to give...

Christi in VA
02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
I thought the same thing some of the others did about the title of this thread :)

My 10 yr old complains of the same thing occasionally and dh has assured me that it's all good. I just suggest extra water to keep things flushed out and to make sure he empties out completely each time and he seems OK with it.

Esther-Alabama
02-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm so glad he's not being thrown out!!

I had this same issue with my boys from time to time. Usually too many carbonated or caffeinated beverages are to blame. It seems like an irritant.

Jenni
02-06-2012, 01:42 PM
It could be urethritis. It is just an irritation in the outer part of the urethra usually caused by bacteria. I have one child that gets it often and one that has had it once. Usually just watching what you drink and drinking plenty of water takes care of it. Things like soda do cause it to be more irritated. If it gets bad enough you need to use an ointment on it but it can go away on its own.

Editing to say that if you google it, some of the descriptions make it seem really awful and caused by some awful things. However, that is not always the case. After the first incident I was very concerned bc I googled it. My dr assured me it is not always that big of a deal. We have only had to treat it with medicine once. Some people just tend to get it more for various reasons.