PDA

View Full Version : how do you "teach" the holiday FnL's?

Jeni
05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Do you just cut them up together and talk about them as you glue the Fold and Learn together?

Do you make it a complete unit study with books and everything?

My boys would love the info contained in the Memorial day Fold and Learn but paper crafts just aren't their thing. :no:

Any suggestions?

Michaela in WA
05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm interested to know this, also.

Using the FIAR Holiday manual, I see a couple of books listed.

Is the unit lesson plan a reprint of what is in the FIAR holiday Memorial Day page with cut outs to reinforce it or doe it contain additional information?

Heather W
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Based on my purchase of the St. Patrick's Day one, there are additional pieces in the download that are not directly related to the chapter in the holiday book.

If my kids did not enjoy paper crafts, I'm not entirely certain how I would use one except to say there is no coloring involved!:lol: So, using scissors is a good skill to use with your kids and they can arrange and glue and you can discuss and read other materials.

Instead of a lapbook format you might choose to lay it out for them instead in a notebook of choice. This way the cut and paste is minimal, but you still get the full use of the materials. You could use one of those folders with the binding in the middle and just put cardstock inside to glue the things from the FL on. This way it is not all about folds and arrangements in a folder, but more about just the information with minimal crafting involved. Sort of a compromise.

This is what we did with the Presidents Day download. My son has used it for his presidents notebook and has incorporated the material along the way for the cover and for information on those two presidents. He enjoys it.

My 4yo likes to cut and paste, but loses passion for it after a bit. He will do some of the pages and not others. That's another way to look at it. It's a fun way to learn something and if you can modify it into smaller chunks, your kids might like it.

You could always try this one and see how it goes.

Jeni
05-13-2007, 12:29 AM
I've gotten several of the fold n learns but I've gotten away from the ones not related to the FIAR books because other than reading the little tid bits of info contained in the FnL and gluing it in a lapbook or notebook, I'm at a loss as to what to do with them. Do you sit there read with them the little bit of information, cut it out and put it in the notebook or fold n learn or do you make an entire lesson out of it, look it up in encyclopedias, get extra books, things like that?

Thanks

Jeni

Jane Claire
05-13-2007, 01:00 AM
You can do the Holiday Fold and Learns in quick lessons--just mentioning ideas and talking them over or you can make a project of it, if you wish.

If your children do not like to make a Fold and Learn, then have fun with each piece of information and all the ideas, and you put them together for a great Memorial Day piece that you can enjoy again and again. Your children will take the finished book and look it over many times!

Enjoy...the Memorial Day Fold and Learn is absolutely crammed full of interesting and memorable material! :clap: