PDA

View Full Version : Math for struggling learners?

Faith
02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
We use Math U See. My youngest daughter is just not getting it. Is there something out there for a VERY visual learner? She needs lots of associations.

TonyaP
02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Try Jump Start DVDs and the online games, also take a look at Khan Academy's free streaming videos. There are several other math sites that offer visual explanations, but I can't remember the names. I usually Google search for "elementary math videos." or something similar.

CINDY LB OH
02-10-2012, 03:21 PM
We use Math Mammoth (http://www.mathmammoth.com/) and really like it. You can focus on one topic at a time, or purchase a graded curriculum. She comes at each topic from many different angles which is helpful because sometimes my ds13 needs it explained differently, and when we come upon the one that makes sense to him, then that's the one we go with.

What area/topic is she having trouble with?

Do manipulatives help her at all?

We also add in the Life of Fred books and living math type books from the library.

Amy Joy
02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
We use Math U See. My youngest daughter is just not getting it. Is there something out there for a VERY visual learner? She needs lots of associations.

Do you let her watch the video that Steve does? I have mine watch the video and do the examples along with Steve with the blocks and answer his questions out loud. It has helped them a lot. Hope that helps. We love MUS, but I know it's not for everyone.:unsure:

Faith
02-10-2012, 10:29 PM
She is very random in what clicks and what doesn't. She just started borrowing, and she can regroup like a champ. But can't tell time or Add a column of numbers.

Word problems drive us crazy. She really has a hard time figuring out what steps to take.

For example with time today - she swapped the minutes and hours. (because she figured the minutes first, she doesn't show other dyslexia signs)

CINDY LB OH
02-11-2012, 08:02 AM
For telling time, she may just need to have a clock she can manipulate and play with. We bought a simple wall clock from WalMart for the bedroom, and whenever we worked on time we simply took it down and used it. I had to let my ds play with it and note how the hands moved, etc. I had him change the times on it, then draw it on paper. It took a while and we just talked about it a lot. I also included "time" in daily living, and you can find library books on the topic as well. It will come.

As far as adding a column of numbers, use a 100 chart to let her add on the numbers. We do a lot of work with a 100 chart so there is a good visual of number patterns.

Word problems trip up a lot of people too, so give them time as well. I like to use the parts/whole method. Find something that has 2 parts and when put together makes a whole, like a pen with a lid. The pen body(1 part) + the pen lid (2nd part) = the whole pen. Part + Part = Whole, therefore, Whole - Part = Part. We do all our word problems out loud and with drawings if necessary. Determine from the word problem if they are giving you parts or wholes/totals. If you have to find a total/whole, then add. If you have to find a part, then subtract. Also, help her identify words that give clues as well.

You can put all these things in a math mini-office (http://www.squidoo.com/minioffice) for her to use during math time.

You may not need to switch from MUS, but rather just include some extra practice, math games, library books, etc. Give her as many ways to learn the topic as you can find.

Heather in Houston
02-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Teaching Textbooks is our answer for our son who is similar to your daughter. I wish I had bought it years ago. it is VERY visual, explains things step-by-step, does not move quickly, is on the computer, and has a workbook for each level that reviews the computer lesson.
Customer service is excellent. It looks $$$ but so worth it and has great resell value.

www.teachingtextbooks.com

Lisa TN
02-11-2012, 11:49 PM
We use KhanAcademy when daughter doesn't grasp a concept. I also created an account for her there to practice her math skills. Not sure how useful it would be for younger students - I didn't see any videos pertaining to telling time but I might have missed them. The practice problems start with basic addition.

Jennifer in VA
02-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Was coming over here to type of the same exact question except for a 12 yo boy. He's in MUS Zeta and certain concepts are killing us right now because of the way it's explained. Yes, he watches the video, for some concepts 4 or 5 times.

Current issues: percentages, graphs w/percentages, and multiply or dividing fractions. He does have visual and auditory processing issues and we're working figuring out what else is going on.

Will take some time to read others posts as well.

Amy Joy
02-17-2012, 02:45 PM
My 11 yr old girl is only going to start delta in march, so I wouldn't worry too much about your 12 y/o being in zeta. That being said, if he's struggling then you need to find a way to work it out. My daughter had to watch several videos several times, and at those time often the only work she did was one side of a page as that was all she could handle. However, she got it eventually and was able to move on with confidence.

Esther-Alabama
02-19-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't know the level y are working right now, but I have recently discovered that my dyslexic and dysgraphic ds really loves and gets Khan Academy's math explanations.

Weve tried Math U See and he did great with that until he hit fractions and then progress stopped completely. The blocks worked well, but you don't use blocks with fractions and he really had a hard time. Before then, he wrote in his book only 1-2 days a week. I watched the MUS video, we worked problems on a white board, used the blocks to figured each one together, and then worked more! I did not move on until he could show me with the blocks how to do each kind of problem. Teach me, if you will.

Then, I moved to Teaching Textbooks. Good program, lots of review, NOT for my ds.

LOF was great and he loved it, but I had to read each and every page to him due to his dyslexia. He GOT the concepts, but asked to return to MUS and I complied. I use the MUS video, Khan Academy videos, and the teachers manual to help explain each concept and he works the pages in the book. By FAR, he gets the Khan Academy explanation much more often.