PDA

View Full Version : Transcripts

Steph
02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
My ds is taking driver's ed. :eek: in June and I have to turn a transcript in for him.

I have found lots of transcripts that are divided by the year...even a free one! BUT, I would really like to find a transcript that is done by subject. Some parts of his highschool work have been pretty traditional but other parts have not. It seems easier to present in the subject format.

SO, I'm looking for links to transcripts done by subject that I can just enter ds information into. Does anyone know of one?

WendyW
02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
You can just make your own. Use the ones you have found as a guide, and customize to your needs.

My ds's is done in a Microsoft Office Word file. If you like (and you have the same program) I'll send you a copy and you can change it as needed for your son.

Steph
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Wendy, that would be much appreciated!!

I know I could do it on the computer myself but I'm so terrible at it. I'm afraid he would be graduated before I got it figured out:roflol:. My dh is so much better at it and always makes my planners for me, but he is crazy busy right now.

Has anyone ever used TranscriptPro or Transcripts Made Easy?

Susan Seaman
02-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I did one of my own - organized how it made sense to me. But when it came to college applications, only one school would take my homemade version (John Brown University). All the others were only interested in the one from my cover school.

Marcia
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I hope this link works for you. I used this. When you scroll down to the very bottom, there is a tab that says high school. Click on that. That is the format I used. I hope that helps!

http://sn129w.snt129.mail.live.com/default.aspx?rru=inbox#!/mail/ViewOfficePreview.aspx?messageid=eb3cde3b-2ae1-11e1-8842-002264c1d724&folderid=66666666-6666-6666-6666-666666666666&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&n=1720998588

CJ
02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Because I tutor local students, I've seen a few of the area high school's transcripts so I just copied the format and layout for our homeschool.

Rebe
02-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Steph, I'm just going to throw this out there -- take it or ignore it! :)

When I was thinking about transcripts initially, I wanted to do just what you said, because it made sense to me as a homeschooler. I was going to separate things by subject and not be tied to the "yearly" lists like the regular schools.

But as I got into it, I changed my mind. First of all, it wasn't any easier to do. I found that a traditional transcript was very easy to make. As the teacher and guidance counselor of your school, YOU decide what year to put the class under and what credit it receives. For example, my ds is taking a Bible class that will take him 3 years to complete, and will amount to 2 credits. Those are numbers that don't work neatly into a transcript, but I just decided to put 1 credit on 9th grade and 1 credit on 10th. Who cares if he was actually still doing the class in 11th? Most classes easily fit into the years, but for those that don't, I pick a year, and I put it there. I don't think that's a problem or dishonest in any way.

The other reason is that as my ds moves through h.s. and he still doesn't know where he wants to go to college, I want to prepare a transcript that will be fully, easily, and quickly understandable and recognizable to ANY college he wants to apply to. I want to make sure he doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and that he's treated without suspicion. Being homeschooled is unusual enough; I want to make the transcript something that's a no-brainer for Admissions when they get his application.

So anyway, that's my long-winded explanation of how and why I switched gears on the transcript issue.

Steph
02-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Rebe, thanks for your reply. I have the exact thoughts that you have and would like to do a transcript by the year.

I kind of changed my mind after convention last year. I went to two high school workshops and both of them said either transcript was fine but that the subject transcript was becoming the preferred style. It is easy for a college to see 4 English credits under the subject of English and not have to wade through each year to find them. This sounded easier to me because then I wouldn't have to decide which year to put a more non-traditional class in.

On a more personal level, Caleb has enough credits to be in 10 grade but all year we've considered him a 9th grader. I don't know if we'll graduate him in two or three years! That must sound crazy, but we really just don't know. I guess in my mind he's a 9th grader but when I do a yearly transcript, he's actually in 10th grade. I feel like I lost a year somehow.

I think it all amounts to me being a little upset that my sweet little boy is nearly a man and almost ready to graduate. The subject transcript made me feel like I had more time. I'll take a look at both of them again and see what hubby thinks. Thanks everyone for riding that little emotional rollercoaster with me.

Rebe
02-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Steph, that's very interesting. I'm not discounting what they said, but I wonder if it could be a case of trying to say, "See, the public schools are finally coming around to what makes sense to us homeschoolers." :unsure: I'd be very interested in knowing what schools are mostly doing today.

I'd love to hear from those here with dc in public/private high school or those who have seen recent school transcripts. Subject divisions or year divisions?

Cari
02-25-2012, 12:36 PM
We're part of an optional diploma program (closest similarity I can think of is the "cover school" that some states have/require) which prepares our transcripts. They organize the transcript by subject areas rather than years. Personally, I think the layout is very professional and easy to understand. But we haven't had to submit it to colleges yet either, as DD17 is already attending community college as a dual enrollment student and didn't need a transcript for admission.

Cari

Steph
02-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Marcia, when I click on your link, it takes me to hotmail sign in. Could you check it for me. I'd love to see this transcript.

Cari, you don't happen to have the transcript on your computer, do you? I would love to see a professional looking subject transcript.

Cari
02-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Marcia, when I click on your link, it takes me to hotmail sign in. Could you check it for me. I'd love to see this transcript.

Cari, you don't happen to have the transcript on your computer, do you? I would love to see a professional looking subject transcript.
I do have it on my computer, but it's a pdf file they sent me, and there's no way to block out her social security number and all that other nice stuff that I really don't want to share (nothing personal ;)).

I don't know how visual you are, but I can try to describe it? Centered on the top is the name of the diploma association, their contact information, etc.
Then is DD17's personal information ~ full name, address, date of birth, social security number, etc.

Then some explanatory info ~ grading scale, what certain symbols mean (there are symbols for college courses taken, courses in progress, etc.)

Then there are two columns with sections for subject areas (English, math, science, social studies, arts & humanities, and electives, I think). Each subject area has listed course title, credits and grade. They're done in nice little tables with bolded headings.

The bottom has an official signature (it also has a little note that the association is recognized by the Dept of Ed to issue diplomas but that obviously would not apply).

I wasn't sure what I was going to get when they sent me her preliminary transcript this past fall, but I was pleased with it overall. The only concern I had was that I thought (and I could be wrong on this) that public school transcripts included info about extracurricular activities. I would have liked to have seen that added, but I'm guessing that will be covered in the application process somewhere.

Hope that helps a little.

Cari

Steph
02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
I understand about the personal info.

Thanks for the description. It does help. And I agree, I like the transcript to show extra-curriculars.

Marcia
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM

Private message me your email address and I'll see if I can send it to you via email.

Dawn Gilmore
02-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd love to hear from those here with dc in public/private high school or those who have seen recent school transcripts. Subject divisions or year divisions?

My dd is in 10th grade, PS, and we met with the guidance counselor last week. He showed me her transcript, and it was divided up by year.

Rebe
02-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I was so curious that I called some colleges. :) Here's what they told me they typically receive. This is just FYI for anyone who's interested.

Community College: Year/semester. She doesn't remember seeing any transcripts by subject.

Public University: Year. She's seen a few homeschoolers do it by subject.

Private University: Year. Subjects would be fine, though. They didn't seem to care much. (This university costs the most of all these listed -- I'm sure they're not going to quibble over a transcript when tuition is $25,000 per year. :) )

Christian University: Year. Interestingly, the phone was answered by a former homeschooled student. He was the most adamant of all of them that they'd want to see it by year, not by subject. He said by year was more helpful because they could easily see how many semesters/years of high school the student had completed. He strongly suggested that I prepare the transcript by year.

Steph
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for making those calls, Rebe. Highschool has made me feel like a brand new homeschooler. So many new things to think about.

Cari
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Well, unless I decide to redo her transcript myself, DD17's will go out by subject as that is how our diploma program organizes it. And since technically THEY are issuing the diploma, it's going to look weird if I do it myself. Sigh.

Rebe
02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Cari, I truly don't think it matters. I was just very curious since I had gone through all the thought processes that Steph went through, and was wondering if there really is a "trend" toward subject transcripts. Sometimes speakers at homeschool conventions overstate their case a bit. ;) With all of the places I talked to, they really acted like it was no big deal -- except the Christian school, which I thought was odd because I'll bet a lot of their applicants are homeschooled. They actually have a very generous dual-enrollment program for homeschoolers, and they are not a cheap school, so I'm sure they'll accept any style of transcript from someone who wants to go there. Most colleges are going to be like this, I'm sure.

Susan Seaman
02-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I do mine by year, but I juggle things a bit to make it make more sense. For instance, my 9th grade son is taking two English courses this year. They are both taught at co-op for one full credit. I had planned on giving him 1.5 credits for taking both. Actually, I'll put him down for one credit in 9th grade. Next year I plan on him having an easier year with English (more like 1/2 credit, I mainly plan on assigning lots of books to read since this year was very heavy in writing). I'll just put him down for a full credit next year. I could do 1.5 credits this year and then 0.5 next, but I think it looks better the other way. Similarly, if he ends up spreading American History over two years, I'll just give him full credit for one year rather than 0.5 each year. It's the same difference, but I think it looks better on the transcript that way.