PDA

View Full Version : How we have utilized Job Shadowing & Interning

CJ
02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
I thought I'd just post this as a new thread. We have had such success with job shadowing and interning - it's one of the best things we've done in our homeschool. Maybe this information will be of some use to someone. :)

1. We do this in high school during the senior year. Two months before you want to actually start shadowing or interning, sit down with your student and list everyone you know that works somewhere your teen would benefit from shadowing. Then add places where you may not know anyone, but would still like to see if it's possible to visit, tour or work.

2. About two weeks before you're ready to start making appointments, send out an email or letter. You can call to request an appropriate email. We've had good success with emails, but will use letters, too, where necessary. Consider even putting your student's photograph in the upper right-hand corner if you think that would help. They will also recognize your student when they show up. Our letter is in the next post below.

3. Make it easy on them by letting them contact you via phone or email. We've even let the machine answer so they can leave a message with what they want to say and we don't have to track down the student if they are not handy. Then the call can be returned when the student is mentally ready. It also helps to give them a choice of how long the student will be there. Definitely tweak each letter a little bit to suit the exact place you are contacting.

4. As you start receiving responses, set up a spread sheet to track them. You want your student to leave them with the best possible impression. Record the following on your spread sheet:

- date you contact them
- date they contacted you
- date you scheduled the visit
- date you completed the visit
- date you sent hand-written thank you note
- date you finished review of the experience

5. When they attend each place, send them with a clipboard and pen with a printout of the interview form. I obtained ours off the web and it has been working really well. We almost always do an interview at the end of the visit or at least when the employee prefers. The interview is posted below after the request letter.

6. We are having our students do 30-50 hours for a semester, plus they have to write a final report comparing and contrasting the different experiences and summarizing what they learned and how this is affecting their decision of what to do after graduation. The interview sheets serve to remind them of the information they gathered. Our students must meet credit requirements AND submit a plan of post-graduation in order to receive their diploma for us.

I have been amazed at how enthusiastic and helpful our community has been. They have been truly excited to share their work environment, job details, to answer questions and give advice. It has really been a boost towards my student's confidence and it may even lead to employment. We've already had one manager tell her she'll be hired if she applies.
:D

CJ
02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
SAMPLE JOB SHADOW REQUEST LETTER

Apple Creek High School
Citytown, State
applecreek@yahoo.com
555-555-1212

Dear Blue Cross Pharmacy,

My name is Kennedy Jensen and I am a high school senior in Citytown. As a graduation requirement, I am job shadowing this semester. I am hoping you will allow me to come visit Blue Cross Pharmacy. I am interested in seeing what being a pharmacy technician entails as well as how a pharmacy functions. My assignment is to observe and ask a few questions about the job requirements for working in this type of occupation. If you are willing to assist me, you can answer the questions below and reply to this email or leave a message for me at the phone number above. I look forward to this experience and appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Sincerely,
Kennedy Jensen
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make things easier for you - please complete the following information:

How many hours can you offer this student for job shadowing? 1hr 2hr 3hr 4hr

What day of the week would work best for you? Mon. Tue. Wed. Thur. Fri.

What time would you like Kennedy to arrive?

Who should she ask to see when she arrives?

Is there any other information you need to share with her?

Thank you so much for your assistance!

CJ
02-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Kennedy Jensen
Job Shadowing Interview, Careers
Spring semester, 2012

Introduction

♦ What is your occupation and job title?

♦ How did you become interested in this type of work?

♦ Why did you choose this career?

♦ How did you get your job with this company?

Qualifications

♦ What type of education and/or training is required for this job?

♦ What classes did you take in high school that prepared you for your job?

♦ Did you have to interview, take any tests, complete an internship or apprenticeship for this
position?

♦ What kind of experience was required for this job?

♦ What personality traits are important for this job?

♦ What kind of technical knowledge is required for this job?

♦ How are technology demands increasing or changing?

Duties

♦ How many hours do you work in a typical week?

♦ Are certain times of the month or year busier than other times?

♦ What kinds of things are you required to do as part of your job?

♦ Are you required to supervise other employees as part of your job?

♦ Do you have to depend on others in order to accomplish your job?

♦ Do you take work home?

♦ Do you work a shift?

♦What choices do you have in making your work schedule?

Salary and Benefits

♦ What are the salary ranges for different levels in this field?

♦ What types of fringe benefits are offered to you for your job?

♦ How are “raises” earned?

♦ What is the opportunity for advancement in this area?

Personal Satisfaction

♦ What do you like best about your job?

♦ What don’t you like about your job?

♦ How has your company kept up with technology and progressive business management
techniques?

♦ How does your job affect your time away from work?

♦ What are the job opportunities for this area of work?

♦ What kind of personal satisfaction do you get from your job?

Miscellaneous

♦ What advice would give a student interested in this career?

♦ What changes do you see in this area within the next 5-10 years?

CJ
02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
For interning, we have adjusted the letter to say:

...As a graduation requirement, I am interning this semester. I am hoping there is an opportunity for me to intern at your establishment. The days, hours, and times are flexible. I am interested in the field of ___________ and am considering working in this area. My assignment is to assist where instructed and as appropriate. If you are willing to provide this opportunity, please answer the questions below and reply to this email or leave a message for me at the phone number above. I look forward to this experience and appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Sincerely,
Kennedy Jensen
---------------------------------------

To make things easier for you - please complete the following information:

How many hours can you off this student for job shadowing?* 1 weeks; 2 weeks; 3 weeks; 4 weeks

What day(s) of the week would work best for you?** Mon. Tue. Wed. Thur. Fri.

What time would you like Kennedy to arrive?

What time would she be finished for the day?

Who should she ask to see when she arrives?

Is there any other information you need to share with her?

If you have questions or details, you need to discuss, please let us know. Thank you so much for your assistance!

Ginger Lynn
02-29-2012, 09:16 PM
:clap:WOW!!! CJ, thanks. this is wonderful inforamtion and a HUGE help.:clap:

Rebe
02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks! I'm planning a 1/2 credit course -- can't remember what I was going to call it :lol: that involves career decisions and inquiries. This is just perfect for that.

Kelly K
03-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Thank you for starting this thread! It's a great one.

Rachel Jane
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
:cool:

Kelly K
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
So how old are your kids when you do this? Is 9th grade too early?

CJ
03-01-2012, 11:23 AM
We use it during the senior year mainly because it's a launching pad to post-graduation - whether that's college, a vocational program or getting hired to work somewhere full-time.

Of course, it could be used in earlier high school grades. The only concern I can think of is age. Some work places have safety regulations or other laws that might be an issue for the employer/employee. 9th grade is usually ages 14/15. I would probably want my student to be at least 16 so that hopefully there wouldn't be an age/regulation issue.

Really it just depends on your student, their desires and circumstances and who you can find that is willing to provide these opportunities. Our local schools don't do any job shadowing which benefits us because our area employees and employees aren't burnt out from this type of thing and they've been very eager to accommodate us.
:clap:

wende
03-03-2012, 08:45 AM
This is great, Thanks for sharing. It will come in handy in the next couple of years.

AmyinWI
03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
So how old are your kids when you do this? Is 9th grade too early?

This is what I was wondering- my son is a 10th grader this year.
My concern with waiting until the senior year is that the student wouldn't have any idea which college/tech school,etc to apply for in time.

How do you handle that if you have a college bound student?

AmyinWI
03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I really appreciate all the info you've included CJ.

The type of career my son is interested the most is in physical fitness. He doesn't know which particular area, or what type of job he wants, except he does not want to work as a phy ed teacher in a school type setting.

I have a few ideas so far...
YMCA- personal trainer or fitness instructor
Nursing home/rehab facility - follow physical therapist/ or PTA around (I happen to work at a rehab facility where he could possibly shadow)
Hospital- therapy department
School (my son gets PT in his early childhood class) I know my son said he doens't want to be a phy ed teacher,but he does like kids, which is why I thought of this.
perhaps a children's hospital therapy department?

anything else I am missing?

Sunshine C
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
This is what I was wondering- my son is a 10th grader this year.
My concern with waiting until the senior year is that the student wouldn't have any idea which college/tech school,etc to apply for in time.

How do you handle that if you have a college bound student?

What about doing it the 2nd half of the grade 11 year? This would give him time to complete it, and have some time over the summer to think about it before having to apply to colleges.

I love this idea for all students - it gives them a taste of the "real world" and if nothing else they can find out what types of jobs they don't want to do! :lol:

laurie in ok
03-06-2012, 04:47 PM
That is awesome! Thanks!

Robin in KS
05-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Love this thread and all this great info. Thanks.

Robin in Colorado
05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks, CJ. :)

CJ
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Just updating you that this is still going really well for us. My senior is job shadowing at a pharmacy right now from 9am - 11am. Pharmacy technician is one of the possible jobs on her list.

Everyone has been so kind and accommodating. I'd say that our "yes response" has been about 60% and I'm fine with that. Her 30 hours are almost complete for the semester. She will submit a final report comparing and contrasting what she saw and learned from her interview sheets.

She's already had 2 job offers out of it, too, so I can't stress enough how fabulous this has been for our homeschool and our student.
:D

Katie
05-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks for sharing, CJ! :)