PDA

View Full Version : Sugar, caffeine, dyes, oh, my!

Mary FL
03-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I was at the store today and saw all the Easter candy. Then I started thinking about the egg hunt. Then Easter baskets. Dinner.

What do you do on holidays? Allow your child to have a little? Only have a safe substitute?

Rachel Jane
03-10-2012, 08:18 PM
We have always filled the baskets with small gifts (like stocking stuffers) and one large chocolate thing and some jelly beans. We do a scavenger hunt to find the baskets. One year, L's rabbit had no ears and he thought we ate them (something we would do, give him a rabbit with no ears because I had eaten them ;) ) Turns out, a squirrel had gotten to it!

Esther-Alabama
03-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Safe substitute candy, plus small gifts. My 9 yr old will receive a devotional book, Pokemon cards, an iTunes gift card, and maybe a pleasure reading book.

As far as dinner, I cook safe things for my kids and take to the meal.

On Easter egg hunts and the tons of candy they receive....I purchase it for 5-10 cents a piece.

Mary FL
03-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks for these great ideas! Easter is a bit away, but I always think ahead.

Rachel Jane
03-11-2012, 06:39 AM
We have purchased candy from our kids as well.

Mary FL
03-11-2012, 07:45 AM
We do that at Halloween, so definitely a great idea. Hopefully, I can keep his eating it during the hunt and afterwards to a minimum.

I don't eat sugar anymore either. He knows this and mentioned he would like to cut out sugar like me. :)