PDA

View Full Version : Second opinion?

Mary FL
03-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Did any of you get a second opinion of a diagnosis?

TonyaP
03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
No second opinion. We are in an ongoing relationship with our child's therapist. She did initial testing that led to various conclusions, but not necessarily a definitive answer for everything that was happening to DS. As she works with him more and we continue to try the medications and therapies we may learn more.

Honestly, I don't think one visit or one set of testing is going to provide all the answers anyone needs. There's a lot of trial and error, a huge amount of overlap of symptoms and often the symptoms themselves are barriers to getting to the root of the problem.

AmyinWI
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
I have had my son tested twice, by two different agencies specializing in autism.
the first testing was done at age 2, and the second at age 4. I got totally different results (more severe autism spectrum diagnosis) but I did expect that, due to his age and having not progressed much.:sad:

Lisalyn
03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Mary,
Both of my younger boys were diagnosed by a psychologist and then an autism neurologist. The youngest also sees a developmental pediatrician. These evals were all done within a four month time frame for each boy.

Both boys have been re-evaled to check for progress and both kept their original diagnoses.

The neurologist became our go-to doctor, but the developmental ped was invaluable for the younger boy. She was great at coordinating tests and therapies with other doctors, like the neuro and the geneticist.

I do agree with Tonya--it is definitely an ongoing process with input from several different professionals.

Alice R
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
if you feel satisfied then I would keep it in the back of my mind.

if you are not satisfied and don't feel comfortable or think the person was a quack, yeah, sure! Get a second eval and check it out.

Lisa TN
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
My daughter was first tested at age 6, and the psychologist said she was "Intellectually Gifted" and bored to tears in Kindergarten which was leading to behavior problems (daughter wasn't reading at that point, but could add, subtract, and multiply and was fascinated with numbers).

Daughter continued to have problems with school and struggled with reading, so she was tested again at age 9. That psychologist said she had "traits" of an autism spectrum disorder but not enough to warrant a formal diagnosis. He did diagnose ADHD, but no learning disability.

In January, 2010, daughter started having severe migraines and was missing at least 1 day per week of school. By the fall, she was also vomiting almost daily. She was diagnosed with reflux and sleep apnea (she kept falling asleep in the neurologist's office and was doing that at school, too, so he sent her for a sleep study).

Her gastro doc was also my son's gastro doc (he's 22 and has autism). After chatting with daughter for a couple minutes, she asked if she could speak with me in the hallway. The doc asked if daughter is on the autism spectrum, because she saw nothing in the chart about it. I laughed and told her I really thought she was, but that neither psychologist who tested her diagnosed it. Doc said it would explain her worsening health problems, and that she was probably an "internalizing" child who tries to hold her anxiety in and thus was placing too much stress on herself creating health issues.

So, the gastro doc referred daughter for yet another eval. This time, she was seen by a psychologist who actually did interviews with me, her dad, and daughter, and did an evaluation of her behavior directly with daughter - presenting different social situations and asking daughter "What should you do if" or "Why are we supposed to" types of questions. She also showed daughter pictures of faces and she was supposed to say what the person was feeling, and give a short story about the person. When we did the results meeting, the psychologist said it was hard for her not to get tickled, because daughter kept saying, "Well, how am I supposed to know how he/she is feeling? I'm not him/her." She diagnosed daughter with Aspergers - and said she was clearly on the autism spectrum and she was surprised that the previous psychs hadn't caught it, because she noticed things within a couple minutes of working with her.

All of that to say - Yep, I got a second opinion - and a third one - and that one finally made sense.

AmyinWI
03-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Mary, I just wanted to add... don't ever feel like you are wrong to get a second opinion. I have been made to feel that way before.:sad:
It is EVERY patient's right... don't ever let a medical professional make you feel otherwise. You are your child's best advocate and if something is not sitting right with you as far as a diagnosis or treatment,go right ahead and get a second (or third) opinion! :group:

Mary FL
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
I really appreciate your input. We start OT on Monday. Will see how it goes. The last week has been rough, but maybe it has to do with excitement about family in town, Legoland, to name a couple. I just don't know sometimes. :unsure: