PDA

View Full Version : What advice would you give...

Jennifer in SC
03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
to a parent wanting to start homeschooling her 5yo son with autism, but she's nervous and doesn't know where to start?

A friend from high school who knows I hs wrote me for advice. Because I don't have any experience with autism, I'm not really sure what to say. I'll tell her that, but I would like to point her in a good direction for advice. Any books, websites, blogs, or advice you can share with me to give her would be greatly appreciated. :) Oh, and of course, I'll be recommending FIAR. ;)

Thank you!

TonyaP
03-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Children with autism fall into a broad range of skill levels both intellectually and socially so it would be hard to advise without more information.
What is her skill level to research and implement therapies? Is she working with a therapist who is on board?

I wouldn't see any reason why she couldn't homeschool, but her level of preparation and ongoing effort will depend on what her child's exact needs are.

Lisa TN
03-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm a member of some FB groups for special needs homeschoolers. I'd be glad to add her so message me if you think she'd want to check those out. One group I'm in is specifically for those with autism spectrum disorders - but has regular and homeschool families. There's a wealth of information - It can be done!

Christi in OH
03-20-2012, 06:14 PM
My daughter has down syndrome so some different issues. I would say something I am just really realizing is that I have to accept my daughter where she is and bring materials to her. I can't force her into a program or make her fit into a curriculum. It is very much finding what will work best for her and being ready to present things over and over and over and move along when she is ready. She is almost 9, I am just a slow learner. ;)

Lisalyn
03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, I put my little ones with Autism in school, but if I were going to bring them home (or if I could go back to age 5), I would concentrate on ABA therapy. I would find a therapist to help me set up a home program and I would focus on that.

Eli is still in special needs preschool preparing for Kindergarten this fall. Our ABA program started with the most basic concepts a couple of years ago--body parts, colors, shapes,etc. This was after he conquered eye contact, sitting in a chair, and basic sign language and picture communication. Now he is working on counting and writing to 30, writing his last name, identifying, writing, and sounding out the letters. Our ABA therapist says he will be reading when he starts Kindergarten. :clap:

So....all that to say....It seems to me that beginning to homeschool is about building that basic foundation. With Autism, ABA is a great way to build that foundation. It's slow and tedious, but it works.

I agree completely with Christi. :)

AmyinWI
03-20-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm a member of some FB groups for special needs homeschoolers. I'd be glad to add her so message me if you think she'd want to check those out. One group I'm in is specifically for those with autism spectrum disorders - but has regular and homeschool families. There's a wealth of information - It can be done!
I'd be interested in this also, I don't know if we are FB friends already.... or could you pm me the groups?
thanks

Jennifer in SC
03-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Thank you so much for your replies. :) I have a raging headache right now, but I'll read over them more carefully tomorrow. I really appreciate it.

Amy Joy
03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Check out www.loudmommy.com, she is a mom of an autistic boy and she is either. Thinking about or is homeschooling him. She is all about being a "loud mommy" for your child and for autism. He name is Tara.

Kellie in NE
03-21-2012, 12:38 PM
I am in a very similar situation with my daughter. I found http://www.rethinkautism.com/ and found it to be very helpful. It is a program that has some additional cost but has video to show how to teach the skill to your child.

Lisa TN
03-21-2012, 03:40 PM
I think you need to get approved by admins for any of these FB groups, but hope it's OK to share the links here:

Special Needs Homeschooling
http://www.facebook.com/groups/180010098690511/

Homeschool Moms/LC's Teaching Kids with Disabilities (this one includes not only regular homeschool families, but those who use a virtual academy, such as K12 or Connections Academy)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/289566391055449/

ASD & Friends Playgroup (all abilities/ages welcome) - This group started out as a playgroup for families in the Nashville, TN, area, but there are now members from other areas as well, and the families are a wealth of information
http://www.facebook.com/groups/asdandfriends/

I hope this helps - Feel free to message me if you have any questions or any problems accessing any of the group pages.