PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free and autism

AmyinWI
03-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm sure I've asked this before, but Mary's post brought it back to my mind. I have considered trying a GFCF diet with my son who has down syndrome and autism. I read a book awhile back talking about how these things can aggravate the symptoms of autism and going GFCF can almost eliminate the behaviors.

Theoretically it would be easy to do, as my son is tube fed and relies on us for everything that goes into him. He eats pureed food, so anything I cook he will eat, if I puree it. I would just need to make sure the things I puree up are gluten free as well. Does anyone have a book recommendation or website for info on what products have gluten or not?

I am not sure if his pediasure is gluten free or not, it is supposedly lactose free, but still conatins milk protein. He will possibly be off the pediasure in a few months,but will still need a substitute for it, which be almond or coconut milk.I am concerned he may not get enough calories that way though.

Mary FL
03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Amy, we have a friend whose son has greatly benefitted from a no gluten diet. I believe he has autism. I'll ask and add later. We are going to try this approach, too. The way I see it, it can't hurt.

:group:

WendyW
03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
I am not sure if his pediasure is gluten free or not, it is supposedly lactose free, but still contains milk protein.

"Lactose" by definition is a sugar, so "milk protein" would technically be lactose-free. A small example of why food sensitivities can be so confusing.

Alice R
03-29-2012, 12:35 PM
I'd try anything, Amy. You never know what might work.

I have personally seen children make good progress off of dairy and wheat and I've seen children where it didn't make any difference. However, you always hope that you will be the one who sees changes.

I actually had one girl have her dx completely taken off once she was off dairy & wheat. I saw her when she was little and she was very severe. I saw her 2 years later and you would never ever suspect. :eek: :clap:

AmyinWI
03-29-2012, 08:42 PM
"Lactose" by definition is a sugar, so "milk protein" would technically be lactose-free. A small example of why food sensitivities can be so confusing.

So this means if I wanted to go GFCF, something besides pediasure would be neccesary?
We are going to be weaning him off of it in a few months,and I'll be starting Almond or coconut milk. He needs extra calories though, so I wonder what I could add to it? Is there a protein powder out there GFCF?

Tiffany
03-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I recently read Healing the New Childhood Epidemics (the 4 A's Disorders). I learned a lot in that book that I want to try with my boys. The whole diet thing has always been really overwhelming to me. Anything I put my boys on I will do for our entire family as well. I've already tried to eliminate a lot of processed food and dyes, but there's so much more that needs to go. In the book, the author discusses several different dietary approaches. Also addressed in the book and a concern of mine is yeast overgrowth (I've since learned that Dianne Craft has a program for healing this as well). I just rented Food Inc. but I'm sort of afraid to watch it. Anyway, what I am learning is that it is takes a lot of work to make healthy choices and there is a lot I have to learn. However, I have to balance this out with living in the real world too. As there are various health concerns for all of us in my family (to varying degrees) I have decided to start by eating whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible. I'm going to gradually make changes to our meats, produce, breads, dairy products. Most of it I will be switching to whole grain, organic, locally grown/raised products as much as possible. I am fairly confident we will see changes from this, and then if I feel it's necessary to continue it further, I will probably cut out dairy and then gluten in that order. This seems workable to me, for our family right now.

AmyinWI
03-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Tiffany, I read that book about 2 years ago, it was really helpful, but at the same time overwhelming.
Maybe I'll have to get it from the library again and see what I can glean from it.

Esther-Alabama
03-29-2012, 10:40 PM
So this means if I wanted to go GFCF, something besides pediasure would be neccesary?
We are going to be weaning him off of it in a few months,and I'll be starting Almond or coconut milk. He needs extra calories though, so I wonder what I could add to it? Is there a protein powder out there GFCF?

You can add MCT oil to his milk. I'd talk to a nutritionist before I added protein powder, though.

Alice R
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Because of baby's severe allergies, I myself am eating Rice Protein in almond milk. it is dairy/gluten free vegan etc. The particular brand is Spectrum and I got it at Whole Foods in the vitamin area. There are a bunch of them. It is high protein.

I agree though, I'd talk to the dr before I did anything major. etc.

Lisa TN
03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
It's worth a try! I did try it with my son (he's 22 and has autism) when we first received his diagnosis at age 9. It did not seem to make any difference, but he also had several health issues (ulcerative colitis being the major one). A few years later, after he had his colon removed, I tried again - but again - no difference for him.

I do know many families with children on the autism spectrum - whose children who have improved greatly with a gluten free diet.

AmyinWI
03-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Because of baby's severe allergies, I myself am eating Rice Protein in almond milk. it is dairy/gluten free vegan etc. The particular brand is Spectrum and I got it at Whole Foods in the vitamin area. There are a bunch of them. It is high protein.

I agree though, I'd talk to the dr before I did anything major. etc.

I know what you all are saying... but really none of the doctors we have talked to (or the dieticians) have been open to GFCF diets to see if there was an effect on his autistic behaviors.
I asked 1 year ago,and still am getting brushed off.:unsure: Once he is off the tube this summer (and drinking adequately,which I don't see a problem with at this point) I am going to really push for them to help me find alternatives.

AmyinWI
03-30-2012, 11:48 PM
You can add MCT oil to his milk. I'd talk to a nutritionist before I added protein powder, though.

what is MCT oil?

Mary FL
04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Amy, I talked to our friend today. The child is 4.5 years old and has Sensory Processing Disorder. (This is an update to my earlier post).