PDA

View Full Version : Sensory issues

Amy Joy
03-22-2012, 09:56 AM
I met yesterday with a councillor about my oldest as she quite high anxiety. She is 11 and has always been this way. She is going to treat my dd for sensory issues. I have thought something was off in that area, but never 'enough' to worry about, but this lady says it would b linked to her anxiety. She is sensitive to loud sounds and groups and so becomes more anxious when in those settings. I don't know why I didn't make the connection before! She is also sensitive to the way things feel.
I was wondering if anyone else has a dc with this issue? Thanks.

Lisa TN
03-22-2012, 03:37 PM
My 11-year-old daughter has sensory issues. She was diagnosed with Aspergers in November and we're waiting to get an OT eval so hopefully once that's in place, she'll get therapy to help deal with them.

She can't stand to be touched; doesn't like to get anything on her hands (she literally washes her hands 20 or more times per day); can't stand loud noises (she twice ran out of classrooms in brick-and-mortar schools because the teacher was "too loud"); can't handle being in crowded situations; invades the personal space of others, but can't stand it when someone gets close to her; is a very picky eater and won't even try certain textures (crunchy stuff is a no-go with her); won't wear blue jeans because they're "scratchy" and I have to cut all tags out of clothing - I could go on and on - LOL!

Amy Joy
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice to have some one understand, though my dd eats almost anything so that is not an issue for her. (it's an issue with my younger dd!) she just started wearing second hand jeans this year, so far never new ones. Hopefully this council ing will help.

Shannon P
03-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Thank goodness most T shirts don't have neck tags any more!:clap:

I have to laugh at the jeans comment. BTDT! My older ds wouldn't wear sweats either because of the elastic at the ankles. The change of seasons was awful. He was always cranky; everyday was a battle. Fortunately we live in a warm enough climate that ds wore shorts virtually year round. He wouldn't wear jeans until he was 16yo or so, and even now he only wears them reluctantly.

Let's not even mention shoes and socks. I seriously considered forking out the money for seamless socks when ds nearly burnt his feet from refusing to wear shoes. He was willing to wear soccer cleats to participate in soccer at 10yo. That was a huge breakthrough.

He's still acutely aware of odors. We joke that he can smell dinner before I start cooking it.

Robin in Colorado
03-24-2012, 09:56 AM
My two oldest daughters have / had sensory issues. My oldests' were quite pronounced, and we began with OT for her when she was four.

My second daughter's issues are also pronounced, but in a *much* different way. She is now in OT.

We have lots of experience with sensory issues, so if you want to e-mail me, feel free (my pm box is full and I don't have time to clean it out today ;) ).

Anyway, Kitty does have some anxiety issues, and they are *definitely* caused by her sensory issues. Additionally, her "fight, flight, freeze" adrenal response is almost constantly a hair-trigger away from causing one of those reactions. She lives in a very high-stress world because of her sensory response. We started her in OT in February (I'm sad that we delayed it this long. But, we do the best we can do. )

Anyway, it is making a difference for her. Not only can we see it, but she can verbalize it.

One example: she has been skiing since she was four. She "snowplows" down the mountain the whole time. We went skiing a week before she started OT: three days of snowplow down the hill. After her third OT session, we went up for the day with friends. Kitty "shusshed" down the mountain all day. She enjoyed skiing, and told me that "it looks different to ski down a hill now".

She has also expressed feeling "calmer," "more energetic," and "in a better mood" as a result of OT.

Kelly K
03-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Robin,

Are there any books that go along with what you've learned?

TIA

Robin in Colorado
03-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Kelly,

Can you be more specific? I'm pretty tired and not all the brain cells are firing, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Kelly K
03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Things maybe you could do at home to reduce over -sensory responses.

Robin in Colorado
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
"The Out-of-Sync Child" is a good book to get started on. (Anything by Carol Stock Kranowitz (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_tc_2_0?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3ACarol+Stock+ Kranowitz&keywords=Carol+Stock+Kranowitz&ie=UTF8&qid=1332868689&sr=1-2-ent&field-contributor_id=B001H6PSSK)is great) "Too Loud (http://www.amazon.com/Loud-Bright-Fast-Tight-Overstimulating/dp/0060932929/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332868645&sr=1-1)" is a good one as well.

Honestly, though, I am not a believer in "experts" - I believe the only "expert" on your child is you. That said, it has been my experience in dealing with sensory issues with three (so far) of my children, and both my nieces, as well as helping a few of my friends navigate this road, is that a good professional evaluation is the best place to start and worth the money.

Sensory issues are so complex (and there are often hidden issues that we don't see until we work through other facets) that it truly helps to have an evaluation and hopefully OT to remediate the issues.

Amy Joy
03-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks you guys. My dd meets the councillor for the first time tomorrow morning. I'm praying they 'click' and she is able to help us. I will look for that book, perhaps the library has it.

Rebe
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
How did your appointment go?

I just responded to Mary's thread with this, but good books to read are:
Quirky Kids (not only about sensory issues, but a very good book)
The Out-of-Sync Child (sensory issues)
Raising Your High-Spirited Child (not just about sensory issues, but a lot of it applies)

My oldest had pretty severe sensory issues (clothing, temperature, food, sounds, activity, tics, etc.) but slowly outgrew most of them. Not really just "outgrew;" we worked on adapting him to certain things, like clothing for difrerent seasons, new foods, etc. This took years and years, and much patience. But it paid off, and today he's able to handle most things quite well.

We did consult with a neurologist for the tics, but other than that, we did all of this ourselves. Once I understood my child better (rather than just focusing on what was "different" or a "problem" about him) our relationship improved immensely and I was able to help him so much more.