PDA

View Full Version : High school health

WendyW
03-23-2012, 12:42 AM
I need to cover a health/nutrition credit, but I have avoided doing so. So much of the standard nutritional teaching has been proven wrong, and I disagree with much of the medical establishment on things like immunizations. I would like to use a resource that covers basic A&P, indisputable things like infectious disease, first aid, and scare-em-into-behaving topics like STD's. It can be one resource or several, and things I might find at the library are preferred.

Colleen OH
03-23-2012, 07:38 AM
A couple of mine have taken evening continuing education first aid classes. They will be taking more in the future.

I'm right there with you on not agreeing with much of the established thought on health topics.

I don't count credits, so I'm not much help at picking "official" materials.

wende
03-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Can you just assign a couple of books to read, and then discuss them together? I'm not doing credits, so don't know how that works. A couple of health/nutrition books I highly recommend:

A World Without Cancer by G. Edward Griffith (dd14 read this and said it was fantastic)
Seeds of Deception by Jeffrey Smith
Prescription for Nutritional Healing by the Balchs

We are also going to watch together some funky videos, "Atomic Age Classics". They cover Hygiene, Dating, Delinquency, Manners, Courtesy, Etiquette, and even A-Bombs, Fallout and Nuclear War.

These will touch on "mainstream" health topics with a bit of humor and follow-up lessons on propaganda. ;)

Robin in Colorado
03-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Have you looked at the Nutrition 101: Choose Life (http://growinghealthyhomes.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=182) curriculum? It might be just what you're looking for.

The activities in each chapter are divided up by age range, with three age ranges to choose from.

The book talks about the way each system and part within the body works, what are health issues for that particular system or part, what role nutrition plays in the health of each system or part.

There are activities, recipes, suggestions for more research from the student, and more.

ETA: It is most definitely written from a Christian, God-designed-the-body, perspective. Further, it endorses one's personal responsibility for taking care of the health of your body.

Hope
03-23-2012, 11:26 AM
This might be useful for the nutrition part of the class:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/realfoodnutritiontext/

CJ
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
We just kept it simple and used this. (http://www.aophomeschooling.com/product/11soshh/)

Ginger Lynn
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Have you looked at the Nutrition 101: Choose Life (http://growinghealthyhomes.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=182) curriculum? It might be just what you're looking for.

The activities in each chapter are divided up by age range, with three age ranges to choose from.

The book talks about the way each system and part within the body works, what are health issues for that particular system or part, what role nutrition plays in the health of each system or part.

There are activities, recipes, suggestions for more research from the student, and more.

ETA: It is most definitely written from a Christian, God-designed-the-body, perspective. Further, it endorses one's personal responsibility for taking care of the health of your body.

Robin,

Have your DC used this book? If so, have you enjoyed it? Could it be used as a High School Health credit or better yet Science credit? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the help.

Robin in Colorado
05-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes, we use it, love it, and the way it's written you can get a science and health credit in one, at the high school level.

My big girls use it, though my little ones like to listen in if I read it aloud. They like the discussion. All like to apply what we have learned to our eating habits. It's amazing what even the little ones pick up.

And everyone likes to try the cooking activities associated.

Ginger Lynn
05-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Yes, we use it, love it, and the way it's written you can get a science and health credit in one, at the high school level.

Can we get one credit for science and one credit for health? Do you know what the science credit would be on a transcript?

Robin in Colorado
05-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't know how you would work it in your state. This course has activities at the end of each chapter in sections, for younger, middle grade and upper level students. The upper level stuff is quite challenging.

And the book goes into great detail about the systems of the body, and how everything works, how everything is affected by nutrition, down even to the cellular level.

It's well done. And it is a very scientific book on health. I honestly think it would be a credit in anatomy for sure.

Ginger Lynn
05-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the help Robin. One more question, I read some reviews on it and they said if you can afford the book and the CD you should get both. Do you agree? Thanks again!

Robin in Colorado
05-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Ginger, I don't have the CD and haven't seen it so I can't answer that.

Been thinking about it. You could reasonable take 2 years to go through this book. There is so much to do in it. Then one year it could be science and the other health.

It's just packed with information.

If you get it, let me know what you think.

Ginger Lynn
05-05-2012, 09:44 AM
I think the CD is just like the book. They recommend you buy it so that you can print off the recipes, shopping list, etc.

I was thinking of getting either Apologia Anatomy or Body By Design to go along with it that way it would be science and a health credit, but if you don't think I need to, then...

Thank you for all your help and time.

I am going to order it. After I get it do you mind if I PM you to see how you go through it?

I hope it is OK that I took over this thread since it was old. If not, I am very sorry.

Robin in Colorado
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Ginger, wait until you get 101 and then see if you need / want to get anything to go along with it.

And sure, you can pm me, but e-mailing me is better. ;)

Ginger Lynn
05-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Will do! Thanks Robin!:kiss: